The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Montblanc 149 - Broad

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Gregor Samsa

Gregor Samsa

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 18:51

I too have a pair of big hands. This is thanks to 7 years of parentally enforced hard labour at a piano during my childhood. I recently acquired a MB Franz Kafka, which is quite a large pen and I find it very comfortable to hold. In contrast, I have a Caran D'ache Ecridor which is hard and small (whilst aesthetically v. pleasing) thus difficult to write with. I was considering a 149 and an M600 believing them to be similarly sized to the Kafka. Surely an M1000 is much wider and longer than the 149? Or are they similar sized pens? Could someone post a picture of the 149 and M1000 side by side?

Perhaps I should be looking at an M800 or 1000 instead of the 600.

Edited by Gregor Samsa, 17 May 2011 - 19:11.

PENS ARE HIGHLY ADDICTIVE, DON'T START!

Sponsored Content

#22 Pino

Pino

NOS (New Old Stock)

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2011 - 22:05

If you're looking for 149 sized, then definitely not the M600. I have both and the M600 is almost identical in size to the 146 when uncapped. Capped/posted, its even smaller than the 146. Don't have either the M800 or M1000 so I can't say which one is closer to the 149.

#23 Gregor Samsa

Gregor Samsa

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 13:33

If you're looking for 149 sized, then definitely not the M600. I have both and the M600 is almost identical in size to the 146 when uncapped. Capped/posted, its even smaller than the 146. Don't have either the M800 or M1000 so I can't say which one is closer to the 149.

Thanks Pino, I will look towards the larger M800. I think the 1000 is just too big for me.
PENS ARE HIGHLY ADDICTIVE, DON'T START!

#24 Boston Brian

Boston Brian

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 19:03

My wife bought me a MB 146 over 30 years ago in Harrods of London, and it is a B nib, and it is my top pen, everything about the pen is perfect even after 30 years of very regular use. I bought a BB MB Solitaire from a gentleman on this site, and it is taking me a while to get used to it. Perhaps such a very broad point on such a small nib is the problem, but all my pens are broad or OB, but I expect that I will get used to the Solitaire soon. Fingers crossed.

#25 mjchuang9

mjchuang9

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2011 - 16:47

I had my 75th anniversary 149 M nib change to B nib, but it writes like broader M. I mean not stubbish enough to have line variations. In my experiences, nib exchange of earlier MB pens probably do not have the same quality than original. For example, the imperial dragon F is too fine , Agatha B is overflow. I doubt the quality of spare nibs are the same as first time fitted. There are much or less scratches on the surface of the exchanged nibs. Sometimes I asked to send back again.
I recently got another normal 149 B, the perfect stubbish nib having line variations and perfect flow. I always bought LE before because I wanted to be different from others. I think that is total wrong idea. Since I am a pen user more than a collector. I should focus more on writing experience although I still appreciate Maecenas (M nib not inked).
At the moment, I enjoy the non-LE writing pleasure of 149,Churchill and Aurora 88.

Edited by mjchuang9, 24 May 2011 - 16:19.

Sponsored Content

|