Mont Blanc Boheme (Extra Large)

kaisede

MontBlanc Boheme (Extra Large) Review:

Introduction:

As far as I know there are three types of Boheme fountain pens made by MB.

First Type: Extra Large with 18k gold retractable single tone nib and cartridge filled.

It is similar size compare to MB 149. (Discontinued)

Second Type: Extra Large with 14K single tone gold non-retractable nib with convertor filled. (Discontinued)

Third Type: Small size with 14k gold single tone gold retractable nib and cartridge filled.

The one that I am going to review is the 1st type.

I like the Boheme because of the flat top and the simplistic design. The barrel has an slight curvature that make it easy to hold. The current production, the small size, is just too small for my hand to use and it is often being attributed as a woman’s pen.

The Measurements:

Capped: 5.25 Inches

Cap posted: 6.5 Inches

Without post: 5 inches with nib unit fully extended

Barrel: 18/32 vary close to 149

Weight: I don’t have a scale therefore I am just using my hand to weight the difference, it is slightly heavier than the 149.

The Nib:

The nib is the same size as the 146’s nib. It is smooth with slight feedback when it glides across the paper (a common characteristic with MB nibs). So far I have used it on cheap papers (regular college ruled notebooks) and 90g Clairefontaine Notebooks and no skipping had occurred. Just like other modern 18K MB nibs it is fairly stiff with zero flex. Another bonus is the retractable mechanism it is pretty unique compare to other FP out there.

One of my favorite features of this nib is the full rhodium plate rather than the 2-tone. I own too many 146 pens and would like to see so variation. I will properly never send this pen back for a nib swap just in case it comes back with a 2-tone nib.

Filling System:

One of the downside of this pen is the cartridge fill. I don’t like it because of the small ink capacity and the lack of choices on the ink color. Personally I don’t like to use MB ink because I find it too dry. To combat this problem I got the Private Reserve cartridge-filling unit. Right now I am happily using the Aurora black ink in this pen.

Another downside for this pen is the cleaning. If you have used the Boheme before you know it is hard to fully clean out the residual ink in the nib. Regular under the water rinse just wont do it especially if there are some ink clogging. To get around that problem I brought the “MB cartridge cleaning kit”. It is just a plastic pump that forces water in and out of the nib. So far it has work really well and I recommend it to any Boheme FP user.

In Conclusion:

The Boheme is a well build pen. The resin used on this pen is thicker than the 146’s. It gives this pen extra heft, which I like. My ideal Boheme would be the extra large size with piston but since MB had discontinued the extra large Boheme I doubt my dream will come true anytime soon. If you like the Boheme design and find one of the extra large Boheme out in the wild I recommend you to give it a try. I think you will love it as much as I do.

The value of the pen depends on the person who has it. I had been looking for this pen for a while therefore the money I paid cannot be measure by the joy I get when using this pen.

Edited by kaisede

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kaisede

• His Nibs

• KeatsPhD

• ivanwong

Size Comparison: From left to right. Extra Large FP, Med size rollerball (same size with all the current rollerball Boheme), small size FP.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t29/kaisede/Fountain%20Pens/DSC_0002-18.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t29/kaisede/Fountain%20Pens/DSC_0006-15.jpg

I had been planning to sell my large Boheme and can't quite do it yet.It is a beautifully crafted pen that is a joy to write with. I also purchased the cleaning cartridges which has made a huge difference in performance because any residue can be flushed properly.Thanks for the review and enjoy.

I had been planning to sell my large Boheme and can't quite do it yet.It is a beautifully crafted pen that is a joy to write with. I also purchased the cleaning cartridges which has made a huge difference in performance because any residue can be flushed properly.Thanks for the review and enjoy.

Thanks!

I think one of the appeal of this pen is that it is discontinued and it is getting harder to locate one from AD. This makes it harder to sell it.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the extra large one last year used from a gentleman in northern Europe. What a lovely pen. Love the feel and balance of the pen. Wonderful medium nib on mine. I wish it would hold a long international cartridge, it would be close to perfect then. Congrats on yours.

P1030471.JPG

P1030472.JPG

P1030473.JPG

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

Guest Subvet642

I have the small one and it fits my big mitt just fine. What I like about its small size is that it fits nicely in the pocket of a T-Shirt.

Enjoyed the review, I own the large Boheme as well. Part of the charm of this pen is the mechanics. Monkey with it and design it with a piston or converter, well, you'd just have another fountain pen, wouldn't you?

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

Enjoyed the review, I own the large Boheme as well. Part of the charm of this pen is the mechanics. Monkey with it and design it with a piston or converter, well, you'd just have another fountain pen, wouldn't you?

That is true about the design. I just wish it holds more ink...

tried one but find it too feminine for me and the nib quite stiff

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I'm having a difficult time understanding the function of the retractable nib. Is is purely a unique cosmetic thing (like lambo doors) or does the retraction have another purpose?

I'm having a difficult time understanding the function of the retractable nib. Is is purely a unique cosmetic thing (like lambo doors) or does the retraction have another purpose?

Far as I know this retractable nib is to imitate the old safety pen that MB used to make.

I saw couple different designs in the NYC pen show last year.

Andy

• 1 year later...

Great review, still on the hunt for my very own! Anyone know of any places (or anyone) wishing to part with theirs?

It's a beautiful pen; I guess I am just a sucker for black & silver. :)

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

Hi Bugmd,

Same here, I wish it would fit the large international cartridge. Better yet a build in piston :roflmho:

They are coming out with a Piston non-retractable model soon.

it's called tw**i Mini :roflmho:

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

Great review, still on the hunt for my very own! Anyone know of any places (or anyone) wishing to part with theirs?

I don't, but until one comes along, the new Crocodile Outré homage from China might be a consideration.

http://www.hisnibs.com/images/Chinese/Crocodile/Outre/CrocodileOutrePostedAngled.jpg

The Outré does not have a retractable nib and is a cartridge/converter pen -- which some of my customers that have both pens actually prefer! It's a bit less expensive as well. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Norman Haase

His Nibs.com

www.hisnibs.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HisNibs1

I was lucky enough to get two Bohèmes through the Friends and Family sales at my local MB boutique over the last few years. I have the fixed nib (Rouge with a fine nib) and the small retractable (Noir with a broad nib). If you have one nearby, it doesn't hurt to ask if they have any in stock. The fixed nibs are tough to find these days, but at the last sale, the boutique still had some of the small retractable models. And MB lets you do a nib exchange if you prefer a different nib.

• 2 months later...

Introduction:

First Type: Extra Large with 18k gold retractable single tone nib and cartridge filled.

Second Type: Extra Large with 14K single tone gold non-retractable nib with convertor filled. (Discontinued)

Third Type: Small size with 14k gold single tone gold retractable nib and cartridge filled.

I think the second type you mentioned shouldn't be "extra large" size but rather "medium" right? As the length is in between type 1 and 3.

I am new to fountain pens, please forgive my stupid questions. Thanks!

Introduction:

I think the second type you mentioned shouldn't be "extra large" size but rather "medium" right? As the length is in between type 1 and 3.

Yes that is correct. Its actually very close to the size of the roller ball.

I don't, but until one comes along, the new Crocodile Outré homage from China might be a consideration.

http://www.hisnibs.com/images/Chinese/Crocodile/Outre/CrocodileOutrePostedAngled.jpg

The Outré does not have a retractable nib and is a cartridge/converter pen -- which some of my customers that have both pens actually prefer! It's a bit less expensive as well. :rolleyes:

That's a nice looking pen. I've noticed Chinese made pens are displaying good quality for the price. I have a few with nice writing nibs.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick