Diy Self Service For Ink Leaking 1995 Mb 146 .

draeroheli

To take a line from a song " and the more I find out the less I know " the silicone grease subject is a large one.

I have been told that 100% pure food grade (?) silicone grease is the most safe to use in the lubrication world.

I have located a seller and will pass on details if required.

Regards

Ian.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• draeroheli

• Pen Nut

• hari317

• wtlh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To take a line from a song " and the more I find out the less I know " the silicone grease subject is a large one.

I have been told that 100% pure food grade (?) silicone grease is the most safe to use in the lubrication world.

I have located a seller and will pass on details if required.

Regards

Ian.

Thank you Ian. Yes Please. May I have the contact details.

Best wishes,

Htin

Patron of Art Marquise de Pompadour 2001 LE 0043/4810.

Donation SE John Lennon Imagine FP (M) Nib Serial No.BW195873

Donation LE Johann Sebastian Bach 2001(M) Nib. serial no. 2892/12000.

Donation SE Yehudi Menuhin No 3772 (EF)Nib

Writers Limited Edition Mark Twain 2010(M)Nib. serial no.3633/12000.

1985 Meisterstuck 149(EF) & Modern149(OB), 147 Traveler (M) Sp.Edition 1970-1995 Warner Bros Music Artist 146 (M). Mozart (F). 144 Stainless Steel Doue (M), Le Boherme Rouge(M)

Also my I quickly add that

The MB barrel is I believe made from a variant of PMMA and it is quite right that MB does not recommend the use of commercial cleaning products for the pen, as many contain petroleum products and they damage the material.

Hello, I think a soapy water and Diluted Ammonia 10% with water is OK to clean the Nib and Feeder. These detergent will remove any residual polish or grease on the nib as every nib is hand made polished and installed by hands.

These detergent will remove any grease at the lip of the piston seal and the piston will become dry if you flush the pen with these detergent. I would prefer just soak the nib and feeder in the soapy warm water for several hours and run the nib/feeder unit under warm water to get rid off the detergent. I would not want my pen to fill up with these detergent, unless the nib and feeder unit is removed from the housing and treat with these detergent separately away from the piston.

If the pen is slippery due to hand held polish in the nib and feeder, then certainly these detergent will remove these residual polish and the writing quality of the pen will tremendously improve.

That is my opinion..

1985 Meisterstuck 149(EF) & Modern149(OB), 147 Traveler (M) Sp.Edition 1970-1995 Warner Bros Music Artist 146 (M). Mozart (F). 144 Stainless Steel Doue (M), Le Boherme Rouge(M)

Also my I quickly add that

The MB barrel is I believe made from a variant of PMMA and it is quite right that MB does not recommend the use of commercial cleaning products for the pen, as many contain petroleum products and they damage the material.

Hello, I think a soapy water and Diluted Ammonia 10% with water is OK to clean the Nib and Feeder. These detergent will remove any residual polish or grease on the nib as every nib is hand made polished and installed by hands.

These detergent will remove any grease at the lip of the piston seal and the piston will become dry if you flush the pen with these detergent. I would prefer just soak the nib and feeder in the soapy warm water for several hours and run the nib/feeder unit under warm water to get rid off the detergent. I would not want my pen to fill up with these detergent, unless the nib and feeder unit is removed from the housing and treat with these detergent separately away from the piston.

If the pen is slippery due to hand held polish in the nib and feeder, then certainly these detergent will remove these residual polish and the writing quality of the pen will tremendously improve.

That is my opinion..

PM sent....... Oh and I want you as my Doctor with the amount of research you do into your pen servicing my medication should be correct ! :roflmho:

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

<BR>Also my I quickly add that <BR><BR>The MB barrel is I believe made from a variant of PMMA and it is quite right that MB does not recommend the use of commercial cleaning products for the pen, as many contain petroleum products and they damage the material.<BR>
<BR><BR>

Hello, I think a soapy water and Diluted Ammonia 10% with water is OK to clean the Nib and Feeder. These detergent will remove any residual polish or grease on the nib as every nib is hand made polished and installed by hands.<BR> <BR>These detergent will remove any grease at the lip of the piston seal and the piston will become dry if you flush the pen with these detergent. I would prefer just soak the nib and feeder in the soapy warm water for several hours and run the nib/feeder unit under warm water to get rid off the detergent. I would not want my pen to fill up with these detergent, unless the nib and feeder unit is removed from the housing and treat with these detergent separately away from the piston.<BR><BR>If the pen is slippery due to hand held polish in the nib and feeder, then certainly these detergent will remove these residual polish and the writing quality of the pen will tremendously improve.<BR><BR>That is my opinion..<BR>

You can get 100% silicon grease from any diving shop, and you can get them quite easily on ebay. Just search 100% pure silicon grease, diving, you should find a seller in UK. I bought mine this way.

The petroleum based lubricants will over time make most other petroleum derived thermal plastics (PMMA is one of them) become brittle and discolour. This process only becomes apparent after exposure of the material to the lubricant in quite long period of time. However even with a little lubricant applied, the lubricant do stay on and diffuse onto other parts for a long time to come, and won't go away easily. So I would recommend you to clean the parts in soapy water or diluted ammonia solution again, and make sure all traces of the petroleum lubricant is washed away (you can use a large cotton swab to gently rub the inside of the barrel, make sure to do it gently and not creating scratches). And afterwards apply a tiny amount of silicon grease to the piston seal and work it up and down a bit in the barrel. Note that you should really be applying a tiny amount, (sesame sized lump perhaps), because although the silicon grease is inert, too much can cause a build-up near the section end as the piston pushes the excess grease downward during each filling. If some grease gets into the feed area and blocks one of the channels (meaning pen starting to malfunction), then it will be a pain to remove. The grease is insoluble to anything that won't also dissolve the pen, and the only way you can get it out would be physical (high risk of damaging the delicate feed channel) or using high pressure water (to force it out). So only apply the minimum required for a smooth operation, nothing more. One application of the grease lasts a very long time.

Yes, soapy water with diluted ammonia is okay for the nib and feed, and the barrel, as long as you rinse it with clean water after the cleaning.

PS: If you decided to polish the tarnished brass, remember that the brass polish must be throughly removed before reassembly. Also note that the "disc" part which will remain visible after the piston retracted may be gold plated, so DON'T polish that part. As you said there is no need to seal the piston housing with grease (though a little may help for ease of future maintenance, prevents the screws to cease up due to possible brass corrosion etc (a light coat of grease also prevents corrosion)). In fact the piston assembly at the back is designed not to be air-tight, otherwise you won't be able to operate the piston.

In practice a well cared for and regularly used MB rarely needs to be serviced this way (taking apart etc). The important word is pen hygiene: never let ink dry up inside (fill regularly, never leave small amounts of ink in the chamber for few days etc, and empty/flush the pen if not going to be used for anything longer than a week), flush clean every a couple of fills (more frequent if using highly saturated inks). And basically this is all it requires for the pen to function flawlessly for many decades without any other extra servicing.

Edited by wtlh

Thank you for your good advice. Francis who supplies the MB tools himself is an experience fountain pen restorer and he uses Vaseline for all his pens and I followed his advice and my pen is working well. No ink leak and no skipping and ink flow is so smooth.

I also agree with you that no ink should be left more than a week and need regular flushing and the pen will last many years without any problem. No need to dismantle the pen. Thank you. Best wishes. Htin

Edited by draeroheli

• 3 months later...

Greeting, this is a really useful post. I am new in the network but, can I ask you where and how can I find or buy the tool to open the MB 146? How much is its cost? I have the same pen with the same problem.

Thanks a lot for the info!!

Cheerios!

I am new in the network but, can I ask you where and how can I find or buy the tool to open the MB 146?

I bought my tool from belgium based FPN member Fountainbel: link You can send him an enquiry PM.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• 1 year later...