Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black Review

ThirdeYe

Here is a nice, underrated and often unnoticed ink that I just purchased on sale from Goulet Pens (no affiliation). If you notice in the scan, there isn't a lot of blue to the ink, it's more of a gray/black with a hint of blue, but I love it. Has a great vintage feel to it, and doesn't seem to fade to teal like Quink Blue-Black does. I really enjoy the stuff, but if you're looking for something with a lot of blue in it, this probably isn't for you. For a larger version of the image, please visit the review on my blog here: My Blog Review

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/8819/skripblueblacksmall.jpg

Close-up sample:

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/1241/skripsample.jpg

Blotter sample on a napkin:

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/8012/scan0007hb.jpg

Questions & Comments are welcome.

-Derek (ThirdeYe)

Edited by ThirdeYe

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ThirdeYe

• merurino

• Sailor Kenshin

• Vendome

Hello Derek,

Sheaffer Skrip blue-black was the first ink I ever used, (I think); I used to purchase it in a drug store in the old bottle with the built-in ink well with the yellow and blue label and domed cap; unfortunately, they changed the color when they moved to Slovenia, (it used to be a little bluer- which I liked). Fortunately, Sheaffer did retain most of the original's characteristics- good flow, nice shading, adequate lubrication, etc.

Thanks for the review, BTW, I miss your blot samples, they were informative too.

All the best,

Sean :)

Edited by S. P. Colfer

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Hello Derek,

Sheaffer Skrip blue-black was the first ink I ever used, (I think); I used to purchase it in a drug store in the old bottle with the built-in ink well with the yellow and blue label and domed cap; unfortunately, they changed the color when they moved to Slovenia, (it used to be a little bluer- which I liked). Fortunately, Sheaffer did retain most of the original's characteristics- good flow, nice shading, adequate lubrication, etc.

Thanks for the review, BTW, I miss your blot samples, they were informative too.

All the best,

I'll have to do those again, it isn't too much trouble to reintroduce that. :) I have one of those old Skrip bottles, as you can see in my Avatar. Found it at an antiques mall, with the Snorkel advertisement on the box. Too bad the bottle was empty, as I'd like to try some of the old stuff. Matches my Snorkel I found recently! :)

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

Someone gave me some of this ink recently. It is slow to dry even using fine point pens (as opposed to something bolder). I like the vintage look of it, though.

Edited by jde

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

Someone gave me some of this ink recently. It is slow to dry even using fine point pens (as opposed to something bolder). I like the vintage look of it, though.

Interesting, it seems to dry quickly on regular lined notebook paper for me, perhaps it is slower to dry on heavier papers like Rhodia/Clairefontaine, etc.?

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I'll have to do those again, it isn't too much trouble to reintroduce that. :) I have one of those old Skrip bottles, as you can see in my Avatar. Found it at an antiques mall, with the Snorkel advertisement on the box. Too bad the bottle was empty, as I'd like to try some of the old stuff. Matches my Snorkel I found recently! :)

GOOD GRIEF!! I have got to lay down with a cold cloth on my head. :huh: All this time and I've never noticed the old Skrip bottle in your avatar- for some reason, my eyes are always drawn to that old Sheaffer PEN.

- Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

GOOD GRIEF!! I have got to lay down with a cold cloth on my head. :huh: All this time and I've never noticed the old Skrip bottle in your avatar- for some reason, my eyes are always drawn to that old Sheaffer PEN.

- Sean :)

:roflmho: No worries! The flash really washed out the picture so I can't say I blame you. I'm going to retake that picture with my new found Snorkel sometime soon, preferably without my keyboard in half of the picture. :doh:

Edited by ThirdeYe

Derek's Pens and Pencils

Nice, I have been using noodlers air Corp blu black which seems similar in that it tends towered grey black but is perhaps darker. The local Pen and ink shop stocks sell skrip intermittently soI will look out for this. I do love grey blues.

Question - completely sort of off topic but sort of following on, online knitting forums shorten local yarn shop to LYS .... Is there a similar acronym here for local pen/ink shop at all?

Edited by knitknitfrog

Hello Derek,

All the best,

Added a blotter sample from a napkin to my original post. :thumbup:

Derek's Pens and Pencils

As stated, this has a great vintage look and I've had no performance problems, although a few people have reported flow problems over the years. It's my ink of choice for pens with a lot of flex.

Interesting, it seems to dry quickly on regular lined notebook paper for me, perhaps it is slower to dry on heavier papers like Rhodia/Clairefontaine, etc.?

I have found it's slow to dry no matter the paper, from crummy to good. From reading other posts on FPN that I'm not alone in the smearing-if-not-careful. Doesn't detract from my appreciation of it. Or your nice review.

Edit: Maybe "slow to dry" is not quite right... as I've other inks that are veryyyyyy slow. it is merely quick to smear, in my experience. :happyberet:

Edited by jde

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

This is the first ink I have ever used, and I still buy a bottle whenever I stock on some of my other inks or when I buy a pen. I used this ink throughout my high school career.

I really enjoy Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black. I have both the vintage and Slovenia versions, and actually like the Slovenia color a bit better, though the vintage Skrip bottle is hard to beat.

• 1 month later...

Blue-black was the first color I ever used with a fountain pen, Inoxcrom carts in a cheap Inoxcrom pen.

Some people have described the color as boring, impersonal and not very social, but I find it attractive yet discreet and easy on the eyes. It is adequate for everyday office use while being instantly recognizable as a more unique shade, compared to ballpoints/gel pens that most coworkers use. I like it.

I have not experienced problems with the flow but have only used this ink in carts, maybe there is some difference with the bottled version?

Edited by kurazaybo

I am still using this ink in my Sheaffer 330 and I have no flow issues at all. Even if I don't use the pen for a week, it starts up instantly and doesn't skip.

Derek's Pens and Pencils

One thing I forgot to mention, I noticed this particular ink is much harder to remove from the skin than Sheaffer's Brown and black Quink.

I really enjoy Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black. I have both the vintage and Slovenia versions, and actually like the Slovenia color a bit better, though the vintage Skrip bottle is hard to beat.

I'm almost done with my only bottle of vintage Skrip and can't seem to find it again on ebay. fantastic ink with great water resistance and shading. O well, now off to get samples of some modern blue blacks to see if I can be as happy with them as I am with the Skrip while stll maintaining water resistance and hopefully some shading as well

Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL

Nice review!

I have the VINTAGE BB, and I almost gave it away because I didn't like the bottle. I caught myself just in time.

I don't know about the new formulation but the old has this greeny, blacky, grayish cast that I really like.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Nice review!

I have the VINTAGE BB, and I almost gave it away because I didn't like the bottle. I caught myself just in time.

I don't know about the new formulation but the old has this greeny, blacky, grayish cast that I really like.

You don't like that nifty built-in inkwell? I think it's neat. I have a vintage Skrip bottle (empty) and I think it's a very novel idea.

Derek's Pens and Pencils