The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Jinhao 5000 Dragon - Fountain Pen Review

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MassTahDohn

MassTahDohn

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 15:42

So recently one of my best friends has really gotten into fountain pens because of me, and we started talking and I told him to look at some pens on isellpens.com (no affiliation) and I wondered why I haven't looked on that website in a long time! So I wandered over to the Jinhao page and this pen just struck me!!!! So it came right after the last day of finals for the semester... And let me tell you!!!! Well... You can just read the review!

First Impressions 10/10

Simply stunning... That's the best word I could think of!!!! What's even better is I got a note from Todd from isellpens.com which made it even better!!!!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Honestly... Just amazing...

Appearance and Design 10/10

If I could rate it an infinite amount of points I would... But I can't so 10 it is!!!! It is like other Chinese pens that try to be extremely over the top and have 'bling' everywhere, and let me tell you, it WORKS for this pen. It is gorgeous (hopefully my girlfriend doesn't read this and think there's competition!!!) and I'm a sucker for over the top looking pens since I have many simple business like pens in my possession already! Now I can't wait to use this at school to see how many heads I turn :)

Posted Image
Posted Image

Pictures don't do it any bit of justice!!! Even if the camera is really good! This thing is flashy!!!!!!

Construction and Quality 8/10

Quality is top notch, the only iffy things are when I unscrew the body it makes a weird clicking noise and while screwing it in it's VERY unstable... But once it's in it stays in!!! Another thing is the cap... You need to PULL to get it off, and when you post it you really need to shove it in there! But other than those minor things, very good build quality! Well since it's built with brass it better be sturdy!

Weight and Dimensions 8/10

This pen is... HEAVY!!!! 40g inked! Why inked? Because I think it's pointless to mass it without ink because who's gonna write with an uninked pen?! It's 13.5 cm long (cap on), 16 cm long (posted), 12 cm long (unposted) so it is quite a long pen, but I wouldn't post it because it's so heavy and long it could seriously mess up your writing! But apart from that, I like a weight when I write, I'm tired of writing with a pen that seems like it could float away...

Nib and Performance 10/10

Quite simply, the BEST nib I've ever own! It is wet, and it flows very smoothly, not too smooth so that it writes like it's on air, but the perfect 'smoothness' for me! A little bit of tooth which is also good. I ordered a medium I believe and it's more like a fine... Which is even better since I can use it at school! The nib itself is 18K Gold Plated and it has Jinhao written on it, probably the best looking nib I own! Doesn't dry out easilly, and writes right away (no pun intended)

Posted Image

Filling system 7/10

Standard C/C filler... Does it's job! The converter that it comes with has a brass type ring around it with Jinhao imprinted on it, so I guess that's a plus... It works!

Posted Image

Cost and Value 10/10

Take a guess at how much this pen cost!!!! .................. DONE! And nope, you're wrong! It cost $35... THIRTY FIVE DOLLARS!!!!! That is an amazing value for this quality of a pen! It's stunning and it writes like a dream and... I cannot say enough good things about this pen!!!!

Posted Image

Conclusion 63/70

The best pen I own... If you have $35 laying around and you want a good pen... GET THIS PEN!!!! I highly recommend it!!!!
Every time there is a negative in life there is always a positive. A failed test, a relationship gone sour. Whatever it may be, your life is not over. If you dwell on the negative you can`t see the world with the right eyes. There is a positive in every moment, even if it is small. Try your whole life to find that positive and live off of it and you will be loved. My blog... Check it!!!

Sponsored Content

#2 WendyNC

WendyNC

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 15:48

I do like some bling and that one certainly fits the bill. I really enjoyed your enthusiasm in your review.
I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

#3 MassTahDohn

MassTahDohn

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 15:56

I do like some bling and that one certainly fits the bill. I really enjoyed your enthusiasm in your review.

Thanks!!!! I tend to be quite happy and animated ALL THE TIME :) I think it makes a review of anything much more interesting than just saying things blandly (no offense to anyone)
Every time there is a negative in life there is always a positive. A failed test, a relationship gone sour. Whatever it may be, your life is not over. If you dwell on the negative you can`t see the world with the right eyes. There is a positive in every moment, even if it is small. Try your whole life to find that positive and live off of it and you will be loved. My blog... Check it!!!

#4 razr

razr

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:12

great review of a beautiful pen!! I especially like the box it comes in.

#5 cocojj

cocojj

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 15:04

Oh, my, I'm not a huge fan of bling (though I like pretty and fancy) but this one is gorgeous!:)

#6 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,679 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:17

I think pens like this will be collectable in the next 15-20 years & having such a gorgeous box will make it a winner.

Thanks for the review, and it's a pen I'll look out for myself.

Regards,

Richard.

#7 rogerb

rogerb

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:25

Very striking and amazing VFM! I liked your review.
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you. Don Marquis US humorist (1878 - 1937)

#8 warterfly

warterfly

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:55

impressive,i didn't notice this kind of brand before seeing this review

#9 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,679 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:36

...it's a pen I'll look out for myself.

I did look out for it, and agree in large part with the review.
I had actually totally forgotten about this review and posted my own here: http://www.fountainp...lay-pen-review/ but the conclusion is similar - get one.

Regards,

Richard.

#10 Skeet

Skeet

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:01

Well done. The box alone is worth the price.
IF YOU FREE YOUR MIND...YOUR PEN WILL FOLLOW
PhotobucketPhotobucket

#11 dadoody

dadoody

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:27

I've had 3 Jinhaos.They're good writers, but a little on the heavy side.

With your particular Jinhao, eventually ink will seep into that brass O ring on the grip there and stain your finger everytime you write and touch it on accident. I thoroughly cleaned mine, dried it, and added a lil clear 2-ton epoxy to prevent that. In the end, the Jinhaos are just too heavy and gaudy for me to lug around everywhere, so I think I'm done with them.

#12 Toolattack

Toolattack

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2012 - 16:40

What a great looking pen, congratulations!

Sponsored Content

|