Sheaffer - Any Future?

wolf4

Oh dear...I was just in the process of purchasing a Sheaffer Valor from the UK supplier: "The Online Pen Company" when I just read depressing posts on FPN that the company Sheaffer does not look as if it has a future! It was under the heading on FPN: "Is Sheaffer Still A Competitive Brand?". So now I am having to start search all over again deciding what pen to buy! :headsmack:

I am now considering the Aurora. But it is easier to get Parkers in the UK. I was thinking about the Waterman Carene but a long time ago I did read about this pen having leaking problems with Noodler's ink! So that made me back off from the pen. Or has this issue been fixed?

Any remarks on this Sheaffer/Bic debate?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wolf4

• Batman

• pajaro

• rroossinck

The Sheaffer Valor is a stunning fountain pen; it gracefully combines the style of yesterday into a contemporary looking fountain pen.

Regarding rumors of Sheaffer going out of business, well fountain pens in general are going out of business. Hand writing with any instrument other than a computer is going out of business. For instance, cursive writing is no longer being taught in many schools; so it's a matter of time before only strange old eccentrics will be able to write anything in free-hand.

So the upshot is: buy the fountain pen that appeals to you emotionally and never stop writing!

Oh dear...I was just in the process of purchasing a Sheaffer Valor from the UK supplier: "The Online Pen Company" when I just read depressing posts on FPN that the company Sheaffer does not look as if it has a future! It was under the heading on FPN: "Is Sheaffer Still A Competitive Brand?". So now I am having to start search all over again deciding what pen to buy! :headsmack:

I am now considering the Aurora. But it is easier to get Parkers in the UK. I was thinking about the Waterman Carene but a long time ago I did read about this pen having leaking problems with Noodler's ink! So that made me back off from the pen. Or has this issue been fixed?

Any remarks on this Sheaffer/Bic debate?

It is sad. The only real good pens they make are over 300USD, and all the others are under $100 dollars.

Yes it is sad, I do agree with you. It's funny, well... not that funny, I am here on the FPN spending a lot of time researching what pen would suit me and when I decide upon one I get something negative about it. Then I discovered Aurora, and read the reviews on how good it is only to read later someone having such a problem with their first pen and the lack of QC and the very poor service that it was enough to put me off that pen. It goes on and on! :rolleyes:

The Sheaffer Valor is a stunning fountain pen; it gracefully combines the style of yesterday into a contemporary looking fountain pen.

Regarding rumors of Sheaffer going out of business, well fountain pens in general are going out of business. Hand writing with any instrument other than a computer is going out of business. For instance, cursive writing is no longer being taught in many schools; so it's a matter of time before only strange old eccentrics will be able to write anything in free-hand.

So the upshot is: buy the fountain pen that appeals to you emotionally and never stop writing!

Love your response "NORTON"! That's the spirit. And I'm going to follow your advice.

I have a three fountain pens but they're still not quite what I'm looking for or rather my tastes have slightly changed. I generally write small and I therefore went for Japanese pens because their nibs are finer. But the downside to fine nibs is that they can be a bit too "spidery" thin. What started all this was when I paid a visit to a notary in order to sign a deed. The notary had a simple cheap fontain pen - a Parker. When I signed the deed with it it was wonderfully smooth but also it felt solid and safe because the nib was an American/European Medium - not a Japanese Fine. So it was a pleasant experience to be able to touch a nib that was more thick and robust.

From that moment I thought I would really like to have a a nib that was bigger so that the sweet spot was not an issue and it felt safe and robust.

So from that experience I am looking for a pen - now it can be American/European - using a Medium nib. I just have to get used to writing a bit bigger this time.

If you like the Valor buy it imo. I would like to think Sheaffer has a future and defies the technology that seems destined to rule. When I think about it, I'm the only person I know that regularly uses a FP. If you want to buy British there's also Onoto and Conway Stewart ( despite a major hickup, now out of administration with what appears to be new owners or at least a different ownership structure) , both are rather pricey but well made products, good service, backup and so on. Of those I prefer Onoto only because of their more ethical use of an old trademark and it's history...not the quality of the product.

Regards

Hugh

Yes, when it ceases to be a brand, which is what it is right now.

A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

If you like the Valor buy it imo. I would like to think Sheaffer has a future and defies the technology that seems destined to rule. When I think about it, I'm the only person I know that regularly uses a FP. If you want to buy British there's also Onoto and Conway Stewart ( despite a major hickup, now out of administration with what appears to be new owners or at least a different ownership structure) , both are rather pricey but well made products, good service, backup and so on. Of those I prefer Onoto only because of their more ethical use of an old trademark and it's history...not the quality of the product.

Regards

Hugh

Yes thanks for replying 'Hugh200au' and the others who have written me a post. Thanks. I'm in the UK but I don't need to buy British because of patriotitism. I really don't know what I am anymore. I was born in Canada, mother Italian, father English, grandfather Argentinian and I just arrived back in the UK after five years in Italy so...I'll buy anything that is a good reliable no-nonsense practical Fountain pen. :lol:

I have been buying Japanese but now I want to try writing with a slightly more wider nib, just so I can get that feel of solidity that I find with them. Unfortunately writing with Mediums or Broads means, for me that is, there is less words on each line. :D

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

By the way, does Waterman have a tendancy to write slightly wider than let's say a Parker pen? If so, then that would be an issue with me. I don't want it to be so wide. Making the leap from Japanese pens to European/American is already a big enough step for me to take.

Edited by wolf4

sheaffer has always been my favourite brand, possibly because of their wonderful inlaid nibs. over the years i have seen that company become almost nothing when compared to its earlier glorious days. it lives on in the hearts of some old fashioned people like me, as is the case generally with fp.

i would recommend the valor, as it is one of the best designs that they have brought out in the last decade, though few new lines from sheaffer come out nowadays with the inlaid nib. you may pls. contact jim at penhero and terim who are both on this forum, if you want any specific advice.

rgds,

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

sheaffer has always been my favourite brand, possibly because of their wonderful inlaid nibs. over the years i have seen that company become almost nothing when compared to its earlier glorious days. it lives on in the hearts of some old fashioned people like me, as is the case generally with fp.

i would recommend the valor, as it is one of the best designs that they have brought out in the last decade, though few new lines from sheaffer come out nowadays with the inlaid nib. you may pls. contact jim at penhero and terim who are both on this forum, if you want any specific advice.

rgds,

krishna.

Hello 'akrishna59'.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. Your post has tipped me slightly in favour to make the purchase - so thank you for that. I have been having such a hard time trying to decide on a decent solid pen if I don't go for the Sheaffer Valor. I have been looking at Parkers, Waterman, and many others but I keep on getting back to the Sheaffer Valor. Once again thanks and I wish you the best.

I have no experience of the Sheaffer Valor. However, if I felt as passionately about a pen as you clearly do about the Valor, I would definitely buy one. I have several pens whose manufacturer either is out of business or exists only in name (I would count Parker as falling into the latter category, and I love my 51s). I sincerely hope Sheaffer stays in business for many more years and continues to make fountain pens. But if that's not how things pan out, I think your Valor will still make you happy.

Buy one and have fun with it! :)

(Edited to change the emoticon -- I just wanted a simple smiley)

Edited by desertsquid

+1 on the recommendation for the Valor. Though I've never owned one, I've written with several and believe me, they're solid.

Sheaffer pioneered the inlaid nib many years ago, and just because they're not putting out a new model or three every year, I'd have a hard time saying that there's no future with them. Frankly speaking, what would you really need that future to look like, anyway? If you own the pen and it's writing like you want it to, does it really matter? Fountain pens aren't like iPods and software, where there are periodic updates and things like that necessitating that a code base remain intact and supported. Sure, if Sheaffer really fell off the face of the earth (which in my opinion is highly unlikely), there could eventually be a shortage of replacement parts, but I still wouldn't worry about it too much. As long as there are talented folks like Ron Zorn, Sherrell Tyree, Richard Binder, and a long list of other all-stars who work on fountain pens, you'll have no problems making sure that your pen(s) continue to write for years to come.

Just some thoughts from the peanut gallery. :)

(For the record, I believe that my collection probably has more vintage Sheaffer's in it than any other brand, and nearly every one of them is performing flawlessly. I've never had an issue tracking down replacement parts for pens that needed them, despite many of them being half-again as old as I am or older.)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

+1 on the recommendation for the Valor. Though I've never owned one, I've written with several and believe me, they're solid.

Sheaffer pioneered the inlaid nib many years ago, and just because they're not putting out a new model or three every year, I'd have a hard time saying that there's no future with them. Frankly speaking, what would you really need that future to look like, anyway? If you own the pen and it's writing like you want it to, does it really matter? Fountain pens aren't like iPods and software, where there are periodic updates and things like that necessitating that a code base remain intact and supported. Sure, if Sheaffer really fell off the face of the earth (which in my opinion is highly unlikely), there could eventually be a shortage of replacement parts, but I still wouldn't worry about it too much. As long as there are talented folks like Ron Zorn, Sherrell Tyree, Richard Binder, and a long list of other all-stars who work on fountain pens, you'll have no problems making sure that your pen(s) continue to write for years to come.

Just some thoughts from the peanut gallery. :)

(For the record, I believe that my collection probably has more vintage Sheaffer's in it than any other brand, and nearly every one of them is performing flawlessly. I've never had an issue tracking down replacement parts for pens that needed them, despite many of them being half-again as old as I am or older.)

Well done excellent response, 'rroossinck'. All good points you made. Thanks for that! I was later thinking along the lines you just mentioned myself. I was thinking well, ok, if they no longer exist, so what! I have the pen and if it needs seeing to take it to a nibmeister. And okay it will turning into a vintage soon... well... perhaps not that soon! ;)

I am now considering the Aurora.

Hi wolf4

I can understand your concerns about the possible demise of the Sheaffer brand. To be honest with you, I do not have any solid information whether or not Sheaffer is in decline. It seems to be a difficult time for everyone, and FP manufacturers are no exception. However I can tell you this, my Sheaffer Valor (black with gold trim and medium nib) is absolutely superb. I like its style (although this is subjective to individual tastes), its build and the nib are wonderful. I always write with the pen unposted, and I find the Valor is well-balanced. The writing experience is wonderful. So, if you like that pen, I would disregard any ongoing rumours. The Esterbrook Company is no longer around, but their FPs are still very highly sought after and enjoyed by people who appreciate FPs.

On the other hand, I also happen to be an Aurora cheer-leader, my favourite being a modern, full-size 88 that I purchased from Mr Binder.

I can't tell you which one to get, I just wanted to put your mind at rest that if you like the Valor, it's a very good pen. The Italian owner of a very reputable pen shop in Rome recently described the Valor as Sheaffer's swan-song in their history of fabulous pens. I don't know whether that's true or not but, if it is, then it's probably even more desirable.

John

The Esterbrook Company is no longer around...

Actually, I believe that the trademark is still registered, and if I remember correctly, through some strange twists and turns, it's now owned by Newell Rubbermaid (i.e., the same folks who own Parker, Waterman, rOtring, Papermate, and Sharpie)! You're right in that they're not currently producing anything, but I suppose that there's always a glimmer of hope that someone with enough clout at Newell Rubbermaid might get a wild hare and try to bring it back to life! (Wouldn't that be cool?)

Interesting comment that the guy made about the Valor being the "swan song" of a brilliant company. If, in fact, it WAS to be known as their swan song, I could definitely imagine worse! :)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

I tend to think Sheaffer went out with the closing of production in Ft. Madison. But that wouldn't stop me from buying a Sheaffer-- my best ones are 70+ years old now. There is a healthy trade in vintage pens, many from now defunct brands, for a good reason.

Coincidentally I got into Sheaffer and Pelikan partly because I had a bad experience with an Aurora pen. I returned that pen and instead got a Pelikan M400 and later some vintage Sheaffers.

Edited by Ray-Vigo

I don't contest the conclusion, but I will argue against the general pessimism of that which precedes it. Fountain pens seem rather more present in the public eye and popular imagination now than they were in the 1980s and 1990s. What we're experiencing is not a Golden Age by any means, but it's certainly got a sniff of renaissance to it.

The problem is that many of the big name pen makers fell under the control of non-pen corporations in the troubled 1970-2002 (he decided arbitrarily) period, and are being run poorly-- frequently as means of sucking money out of rich folks with somewhat-functional pocket jewellry.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

All I know is that if we all start worrying about whether the pens companies might be going out of biz and thus not buy their pens, they probably will end up going out of biz, because nobody is buying their pens!!!! ie, sort of a twist on a self-fulfilling prophecy.....

;)

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Keep in mind that Sheaffer has been owned by Bic for some time now, and fills a niche for them. My guess is that Bic is happy to keep the name alive as long as there is sufficient market demand for Sheaffer branded products (both writing instruments and refills), but probably doesn't care to invest any more than necessary to keep the Sheaffer name out there. Brands such as Sheaffer and Parker that prospered for years selling high quality writing instruments in mass quantities really took it on the chin when those markets dried up the 1960's and 70's, and never really recovered.

Part of it has to do with the market itself. Back in the day, Parker (sorry, but I just know the Parker line better) sold a ton of Jotters and 45's year in and year out; but they were low margin products- Parker needed to sell a ton of them to make any money at it. However, that volume created two benefits for Parker: one, it kept the Janesville plant (substitute Ft. Madison if you wish) running at high volume, which in turn alllowed them the ability to produce the higher end 75's (Imperials, if you wish) that also brought in higher margin. Two, because the pen cartridges and ballpoint refills were of a proprietary design, selling a pen virtually assured an ongoing revenue stream from the refill business. The higher end products, in turn, gave the entire line a pedigree such that you'd willingly pay more at the local Walgreens to buy a Jotter as opposed to the less expensive but quite capable PaperMate ballpoint further down the rack. That particular market model doesn't much exist anymore, and it's not likely to return to any great degree. I think Bic fully understood this market dynamic when they bought Sheaffer; after all, Bic was somewhat responsible for destroying that very business model. Again, if it does what Bic wants it to do, Sheaffer will stay.

So, if you like the Sheaffer, buy it. Whether the name is still around 20 years from now- who can say. On the other hand, if you find yourself the owner of a really good pen, that's what matters.

don't generalize. Because handwriting is not taught in the US or other parts of the english-speaking world, it doesn't mean that it isn't taught and practised in the rest of the world. ;)

And however, soon somebody will realize that it's completely preposterous not to teach children how to write. This foolishness will disappear!