• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thequinox

• PAKMAN

• welch

• peterjg

Tip from Tom "Old Griz" Mullane: put the 51 in your freezer overnight. Next day, dip the cap in hot water for a few seconds. The cap will slip right off.

Yes, I've done that at least twice. Do NOT try to wiggle the cap off without the cold + heat treatment first. You will risk cracking the hood, or, at least, having to clean out hood sellac from the threads / collector. (Yes, I did that once...)

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

• 9 months later...

This just happened to me. I dropped my 51 and it fell to the floor, but not cap first. It was capped and the tail end hit the floor. I picked up and counted myself lucky that it had not cracked and that I had not dropped it uncapped. I put it back in my pocket.

Fast forward 15 minutes and I try to take the cap off to write... no go. It's weird, I could see the cap getting stuck if it fell on the cap, but I guess even landing on it's tail was enough to get it lodged pretty good in there. I've been trying every few minutes to pull the damn thing of but she is stuuuuuuck.

I'm a little reluctant to put it in the freezer as I don't really want my ink to freeze up in there, however, others have said it works. I tried running the cap under hot water but that didn't work. I suppose freezer it is. Wish me luck :P

Hair drier on cap worked for me.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Well... I've got a stuck one :|

My cap was already really tight to begin with, so this is just impossible. I had it in the freezer for 1.5h and then immediately ran the cap under steaming hot water. No dice. I even tried rubber dish gloves to get a grip and all I got was really sore finger joints :P

This baby is stuck :|

Well... I've got a stuck one :|

My cap was already really tight to begin with, so this is just impossible. I had it in the freezer for 1.5h and then immediately ran the cap under steaming hot water. No dice. I even tried rubber dish gloves to get a grip and all I got was really sore finger joints :P

This baby is stuck :|

Try Perry's hairdryer then.

BTW, check my site for green M800s.

I was able to get it of with... duct tape! I tried the rubber dish gloves but they just weren't enough. The problem was part force, but mostly grip. There's just not much to hold on to when you're pulling and the pen slips out of your hands.

My brother and I were able to get it off though. He held on to the pen section, and I wrapped a piece of duct tape around the cap and left a little bit of tape for myself as a quasi handle. Pop :) All we needed was a better grip.

The cap is a tad looser now, but that's good because it was a bit too tight in the first place.

Glad to hear it came off. It seems impossible that they could get stuck on that tight but most folks seem to experience one eventually.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I've only had the very lightest case of it but the one thing that struck me about it is it's one of those "mishaps" I think is hard to be patient with. It's easy to think how hard could it be? what could go wrong? and I. Want. This. Fixed. NOW. with something like a silly cap stuck on.

Those are usually all the wrong answers.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

Didn't Parker have a tool to remove stuck caps? Anyone know what it looks like?

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

--William Makepeace Thackeray

Visit my blog to see the pens I have for sale

Paul's Pens

• 7 years later...

Just a bump to remind myself of Tom Mulllane's suggestion...and to remind everyone of Old Griz.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight