What Makes Montblanc's So Expensive?

Mech_Pencil

I think it'll still be expensive for me 4 years on...

(bleep). A new MB149 from a boutique is expensive for me now. You have a high opinion of yourself. Good for you.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blade Runner

• PenFan95

• niksch

• jar

First of all, I'd be a little disappointed in jar. I used the term 'Bird Splat'...at least give me credit :P And my tastes match with yours...Sheaffer and Parker leave the competition miles behind :D

The OP has disappointed me with his question...it is the worst display of tact to go in a brand forum and ask why the brand's pens are expensive. As I have already said, I am no Montblanc fan, and am not here to defend the brand at any stage.

Secondly, it is truly subjective that which brand is better. It may be that someone may think a Parker Vector is a wastage of money, while even a diamond-encrusted 18k gold pen which is limited to one piece in the whole world, has the most reliable filling system and is a masterpiece in terms of design would appear less to someone.

I do agree that the bird splat does not make a $300 pen worth $560. However, people buy them. Hence, they sell. I agree that Montblanc may be makers of good pens. I also know that many other pens are of better construct, have a comparable or better QC department, are made of better materials and leave Montblanc in the dust in heritage. Percieved value sells them, and we buy them. As for me, the pens I currently have are the best in the world for me.

Read your second paragraph and then think to yourself why you are hypocrite? To call the MB emblem a bird splat twice in one post really takes away any credance to your claims in the final paragraph after you have critised someone for starting a thread in a forum where fans of the brand post.

I'd love to know what pens you have which have better construction/materials and QC departments.

Back to the original posters comments though.

I think the problem with MB is that it is a well known brand and the pens cost more than other high street known brands (or the pens you can buy on the high street). Blade Runner posted the prices of other manufacturers, they are all very comparable in price. The problem is the average person on the street has never heard of most of these manufacturers or these specific pens. If they have heard of the manufacturer it is probably because they've seen their entry level pens and therefore think that they are "cheaper" than MB, whereas if they were to compare flagship pens they would change their opinion.

I personally think a TWSBI is expensive but that it my opinion and I can't see where the value is in them when comparing them to a much cheaper entry level Parker or Lamy.

Well, even MB fans call it a Bird Splat...so, I don't think I'm in the wrong here :D

As for the pricing, many are made of better materials, have a better QC department and/or sell it on their heritage. Sheaffer boasts all three. Therefore Sheaffer followed by Parker are my favorites.

The value? Oh, none...it's only a piston-filler for $40 which you can dismantle and reassemble by yourself :D

Edited by PenFan95
I'm not your 'friend', bud

As I already stated before, and what seems to be neglected here, is that Mont Blanc is not percieved as expensive because of the price of their flagship pen (where many other brands have equally priced or even more expensive offerings), but rather because they have no affordable pens. Affordable being defined as a normal consumer would percieve it, let's say 100$ or less.

Secondly, they also have no semi-affordable pens, bringing them out of range of most collectors with a moderate income. And i don't mean this as an insult or a accusation or whatever, I am just trying to state a fact.

Thirdly, and certainly not the least important argument, Mont Blanc actively pursue and encourage the image of expensive pens. By only allowing Boutiques that pass their 'exclusiveness-test' to sell MB. By prohibiting price advertisement. And so on. It's called marketing a veblen good, look it up.

So, no wonder they are PERCEIVED as expensive pens.

Spot on!

I think it'll still be expensive for me 4 years on...

(bleep). A new MB149 from a boutique is expensive for me now. You have a high opinion of yourself. Good for you.

Well, expensive IS expensive...if I can get a Sheaffer Valor for less than a fraction of the 149's cost and am happy with it, it's better for me. As for my opinion of myself...well, I keep myself rooted to the ground.

Edited by PenFan95

Just quick question to MB fans.... what is the cheapest MB FP? I am guessing that will be the classique? IIRC, it was over $400. Even the cheapest RB are in $350s range and BPs in the $300s. Whereas Pelikan, Waterman, Parker, and Visconti have plenty of entry level models in the $150-250 range; especially RBs and BPs.

IMHO, Montblanc are considered expensive because their entry level products are over-priced compared to the competition.

At fountainpenhospital the Generation fp is in the $250 range. But there are other brands like Caran d'ache, Montegrappa, and others that also don't sell inexpensive pens and some of their pens are even more expensive than MB.

Just quick question to MB fans.... what is the cheapest MB FP? I am guessing that will be the classique? IIRC, it was over $400. Even the cheapest RB are in $350s range and BPs in the $300s. Whereas Pelikan, Waterman, Parker, and Visconti have plenty of entry level models in the $150-250 range; especially RBs and BPs.

IMHO, Montblanc are considered expensive because their entry level products are over-priced compared to the competition.

At fountainpenhospital the Generation fp is in the $250 range. But there are other brands like Caran d'ache, Montegrappa, and others that also don't sell inexpensive pens and some of their pens are even more expensive than MB.

Caran d'ache never made pens for the masses...Montblanc was fairly big in the lower-end market but it had to go and muck it up...a huge shame. Also, their current 149 and friends don't hold a candle to the ones made in the 1980's.

Edited by PenFan95

Ah, the perenial question.....

"What is it about MB's that make them titled as arguable "the best pen" and "the most expensive pens"? "

The answer is some of the best Marketing in the whole world, bar none.

The Swiss are really excellent at the profession of Marketing. I really admire them.

YMMV

"What is it about MB's that make them titled as arguable "the best pen" and "the most expensive pens"? "

The Swiss are really excellent at the profession of Marketing. I really admire them.

Another (however unwittingly given) point...Sheaffer and Parker are manufacturing pens in foreign countries, and Sheaffer nibas are still made in America (for the Valor). Montblanc has shifted its roots to Switzerland, and only ashes remain of the German firm's heritage. As for the marketing, I agree that MB advertising has done a terrific job of making the company top-tier. That is the company's strongest point.

(snip). Montblanc has shifted its roots to Switzerland, and only ashes remain of the German firm's heritage. (snip)

For watches maybe, not pens.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

Another (however unwittingly given) point...Sheaffer and Parker are manufacturing pens in foreign countries, and Sheaffer nibas are still made in America (for the Valor). Montblanc has shifted its roots to Switzerland, and only ashes remain of the German firm's heritage. As for the marketing, I agree that MB advertising has done a terrific job of making the company top-tier. That is the company's strongest point.

Not advertising, "marketing." Advertising and salesmanship are only small parts of a marketing plan.

Sheaffer is owned by BIC and I find their marketing of the brand simply awful. They were pretty good with the BIC Stiks and the lighters, bottom niche products, but I am not impressed by their handling of the Sheaffer account. I have no idea why the French company bought Sheaffer. Maybe someone really sold them at a time when they had a lot of free American Bucks in their Treasury. It had zero fit.

Parker, and Waterman, are both wholly owned by Newell Rubbermaid. I have not been impressed with their marketing of either brand, although they may be seeing the big picture for the Waterman brand. Here again we have a problem of fit.

OTOH, Mont Blanc was a perfect fit for Richemont and they are doing a first class marketing job with the brand. BIC and Newell Rubbermaid could really learn a lesson from them. But, egos being what egos are, I just don't see it.

YMMV

Ladies and Gentlemen:

This topic thread has wandered off into incendiary posts, arguments, and personal attacks. A number of posts have been removed.

This topic thread has been closed.

Edited by Kalessin

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)