What Makes Montblanc's So Expensive?

Mech_Pencil

In comparison with Faber Castell, Cross and Waterman what makes Montblancs so expensive?

I don't mean to say this is a rude tone but the cost seems way up there.

I've seen some of the same materials used by other companies that sell the pen for a cheaper price.

What is it about MB's that make them titled as arguable "the best pen" and "the most expensive pens"?

"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery; None but ourselves can free our minds" ~ Bob Marley

http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic45785_58.gif

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blade Runner

• PenFan95

• niksch

• jar

In comparison with Faber Castell, Cross and Waterman what makes Montblancs so expensive?

I don't mean to say this is a rude tone but the cost seems way up there.

I've seen some of the same materials used by other companies that sell the pen for a cheaper price.

What is it about MB's that make them titled as arguable "the best pen" and "the most expensive pens"?

They are certainly not either the best pen or anywhere near the most expensive, but they are very good pens. Montblanc is rightly considered a Top Tier Pen, but many other pens also fall in that category; Caran d'Ache, Conway Stewart, other Richemont pens like Dunhill and Cartier, ST Dupont, Yard-o-Led, Visconti, OMAS, as well as the many very small volume specialty fountain pen makers.

What makes them expensive is that there is a market willing to pay for such items.

My Website

Without offending anyone, having experienced both Montblanc and top end Auroras I would say that the Aurora is the better pen at a slightly lower price. Image, mystique and marketing make the price up for MB, whereas Aurora's Optima and large 88 rely on workmanship primarily.

Iechyd da pob Cymro

Montblanc also maintains an extensive network of retail locations. It also has outstanding repair service. Recently, I sent to the Fort Worth service center my 1970s Classic in the hopes of obtaining a replacement for the damaged section. Not only did the service center replace the section, it also replaced the feed and the barrel with new old stock parts. Cost was $70 plus $10 shipping. And I received a phone call from a customer service representative inquiring about my satisfaction with my repair request.

If you search for "n00b mistakes Montblanc forum", you'll find many threads on this topic, most of which have a final post beginning "This topic has been closed by the Moderator..."

It's that kind of topic.

Montblanc pens are well regarded by many, and derided as over-priced by many others who object to the premium a Montblanc fetches over, say, their favourite Platignum school pen from the 1970s. Obviously, their Platignum was better than mine, which was scratchy as hell, and leaked on my maths textbook.

Montblanc make a good pen, and in my experience, they provide excellent product support. They trade on their good reputation, which allows them to charge a bit more than other companies that make a similar quality product. They charge what the market will bear: that's capitalism.

If you object to their prices, buy something else. Many people do, and are perfectly happy.

For some, however, there is that little voice niggling in the back of their head, telling them that they bought second best. They start hating themselves, and flying into jealous rages. Their limited edition Caran d'Ache Skeleton becomes a symbol of their own inadequacy, and they start haunting expensive cafes, sipping lattes and reading books by Derrida as a public display of their sophistication. All the while, knowing that their pen lacks the little white star. These people start flame wars on threads entitled "Why are Montblanc pens so expensive?"

All very silly. You're new: buy a pen you like, write with it, and be happy.

Edited by troglokev

You have to compare apples to apples. There are other top tier pens and flagship pens of other brands that are just as expensive. But unlike most of those -

MB is one of the minority of brands that still makes their own nibs and offers piston fillers.

MB offers a selection of pens that is unequaled.

MB QC and fit and finish is among the best in my experience.

MB maintains boutiques across the world.

MB service is excellent and there's a major center in the US, so the customer does not have to send their regular production pens overseas for looooong silent periods of service.

Edited by Blade Runner

+1 for Caver Kevin's sentiment!

I'm glad I found MB to be much more than good marketing and allegedly service, however I have not needed to try that part of the deal.

As for expense - this is a buyers market - go find an MB for 25% of it's retail and find out for yourself.

Edited by Makar

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.

John Muir

Without offending anyone, having experienced both Montblanc and top end Auroras I would say that the Aurora is the better pen at a slightly lower price. Image, mystique and marketing make the price up for MB, whereas Aurora's Optima and large 88 rely on workmanship primarily.

Exactly my oposite experience.

I had an Aurora Optima and the bloody thing didnt write well at all, its quality was ok but not as good as my MB pens.

Respect to all

Montblanc has an image of expensive pens and indeed they aint cheap but its not more expensive then other high end pen makers.

Omas and Visconti's pens are expensive and so is Aurora Montegrappa and the list goes on and on.

Weird I never saw a thread stating why is Visconti pens or Omas pens so expensive, somehow its always MB pens are expensive.

If people would look around and see the prices or many other high end pen makers they would stop asking this question over and over and over again!!!

Respect to all

As for the "best pen" title, that's personal. For me, the Meisterstuck piston fillers are the best in terms of

-classic styling

-ink capacity

-nib feel

-balance

-service and availablity of parts

Weird I never saw a thread stating why is Visconti pens or Omas pens so expensive, somehow its always MB pens are expensive.

If people would look around and see the prices or many other high end pen makers they would stop asking this question over and over and over again!!!

Exactly! :roflmho:

Weird I never saw a thread stating why is Visconti pens . . . so expensive . . .

Well that's because it's obvious! Visconti pens have all that color and pizazz and funky, complicated filling systems and bling and they even made a twisted up pen with a funny cap fastener out of old Parker celluloid--and despite all that and my dearly loved group of them, when that 149 was briefly on the sale board earlier today, I wondered if maybe I could get my mother's silver sold in time to fund the purchase.

Maybe the question gets asked all the time because the best known models are black.

Edited by WendyNC

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

MBs are like rolex, they rarely depreciate and at least they have full inhouse handground nibs, that can't be said about Visconti or Omas (since 2005)

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

If you object to their prices, buy something else. Many people do, and are perfectly happy.

For some, however, there is that little voice niggling in the back of their head, telling them that they bought second best. They start hating themselves, and flying into jealous rages. Their limited edition Caran d'Ache becomes a symbol of their own inadequacy, and they start haunting expensive cafes, sipping lattes and reading books by Derrida as a public display of their sophistication. All the while, knowing that their pen lacks the little white star. These people start flame wars on threads entitled "Why are Montblanc pens so expensive?"

I never thought of looking at the psychology aspect of it.

This perfectly explains my situation - I have a Faber Castell Ambition and it writes beautifully.

Even though your comment sounded a little harsh embarrassed_smile.gif It's perfectly right

Thanks so much!

"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery; None but ourselves can free our minds" ~ Bob Marley

http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic45785_58.gif

This perfectly explains my situation - I have a Faber Castell Ambition and it writes beautifully.

... and that is what really counts.

One of my favourite pens is a user grade Mabie Todd that I bought from Rhosygell for an embarassingly small amount. It writes beautifully, and doesn't leak on maths textbooks, or anywhere else.

(If I've saved you from Derrida, then this thread has been some use, after all)

Edited by troglokev

As has been pointed out, MBs are priced similarly to other pens in their tier. You're quite right, they're not cheap, but then neither are any of the other players on the field with them. They also offer rock-solid reliability.

I have pens that cost far less that write just as well for me ( a yellow Lamy Safari comes to mind), but they're not as well made or finished and there's no comparing the materials. That doesn't mean that I don't like them, I still buy Lamy Safaris and I have a soft spot in my heart for Pelikano Jrs., but they're not quite the same.

What's so funny about Peace, Love, and Understanding?

If you search for "n00b mistakes Montblanc forum", you'll find many threads on this topic, most of which have a final post beginning "This topic has been closed by the Moderator..."

It's that kind of topic.

Montblanc pens are well regarded by many, and derided as over-priced by many others who object to the premium a Montblanc fetches over, say, their favourite Platignum school pen from the 1970s. Obviously, their Platignum was better than mine, which was scratchy as hell, and leaked on my maths textbook.

Montblanc make a good pen, and in my experience, they provide excellent product support. They trade on their good reputation, which allows them to charge a bit more than other companies that make a similar quality product. They charge what the market will bear: that's capitalism.

For some, however, there is that little voice niggling in the back of their head, telling them that they bought second best. They start hating themselves, and flying into jealous rages. Their limited edition Caran d'Ache Skeleton becomes a symbol of their own inadequacy, and they start haunting expensive cafes, sipping lattes and reading books by Derrida as a public display of their sophistication. All the while, knowing that their pen lacks the little white star. These people start flame wars on threads entitled "Why are Montblanc pens so expensive?"

:clap1: :clap1: :clap1: Brilliant!! :roflmho:

I suspect the question was asked rhetorically. An economist would tell you that high price does not necessarily decrease demand, but can have the opposite effect, for luxury goods in particular. So, the retail price is high. Conway-Stewart must have relied upon this recently when they increased their prices dramatically.

Therefore, if price is an issue but you still want the quality and value of a Montblanc, buy your pens used where market forces more favorable to your wallet have influence.

Fred

Edited by FredRydr