Do You Have A Signature Color For Signatures?

corniche

I don't have a "signature color" per se, but my daily carry is a 1943 Parker 51 DJ, so I guess it's my signature pen. As it's a WWII-era pen, and with me being in the Air Force, I keep it filled with Noodler's Air Corps Blue-Black. I really like that color, and I've received a few compliments from others as well.

Dale

"The worst of all fears is the fear of living." Theodore Roosevelt

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange_sm.pnghttp://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/PostcardExchange_sm.png

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• corniche

• Koyote

• A Smug Dill

• BaronWulfraed

After going through a couple of dozen blue-black "signature" inks over the last few years, I discovered Levenger Emyprean. I should call it Neo because it may be "the one."

For signatures I always pull out my Lamy Al-Star (I do pen hygiene, but I rather lose an Al Star than a more expensive pen) and use MB Blue-Black. There's just something about that ink that reflects such a sober personality that I feel it also reflects my take on my professional life.

In some things in life it's better to take a Zen approach. If you think too much you won't achieve your goal, wheras if you don't think and let yourself go, it shall be achieved with ease. I find this helpful in writing, kendo and music.

I mostly just choose from whatever is loaded at the time. Right now it would probably use the Legal Lapis in a cursive italic nib.

S.P. Colfer: you seem to have put a great deal of thought into your signature color. I'm pretty curious: what do you do for a living, or what are you signing?

I have my signature as a PNG and just occasionally resize it to a different aspect ratio before I paste it into an invoice :(

I think maybe I should write a few by hand and see if anyone notices.

Mine has for the last - actually, almost a decade now - been Sheaffer's slovenian Skrip turquoise.

On the other hand, I'm studying in college, so what was said about flakiness by Koyote also applies. :D

Unless Noodlers can be convinced to start producing a bulletproof "Cherenkov Blue", It probably won't change when I enter the workforce.

After going through a couple of dozen blue-black "signature" inks over the last few years, I discovered Levenger Emyprean. I should call it Neo because it may be "the one."

Hello Bill,

That is a nice color... it almost made the cut. ;)

Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

For signatures I always pull out my Lamy Al-Star (I do pen hygiene, but I rather lose an Al Star than a more expensive pen) and use MB Blue-Black. There's just something about that ink that reflects such a sober personality that I feel it also reflects my take on my professional life.

Yes, MBbb is a nice bb if you like the gray toned bb's; very well behaved too... (it should be for the price). :D

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

S.P. Colfer: you seem to have put a great deal of thought into your signature color. I'm pretty curious: what do you do for a living, or what are you signing?

Greetings Koyote,

I am not a judge or a congressman or anyone whose signature carries a special weight in the eyes of the world. I am simply a resume writer/career consultant. What I sign most often are basic "service(s) included" contracts with new clients and "summation of service(s) rendered" agreements to hopefully satisfied clients. :) Along with all the other mundane forms, contracts, etc.; one has to sign off on when they are self-employed and running a small business.

As I said, I do not sign anything monumental or historical in nature; however, I do believe my signature is my bond... and my name, and that should say and stand for something; that is why I put so much thought into my signature color. My thoughts on this are probably comical to many, but I don't care; I've never been one to worry about how the "many" viewed me. ;)

What is more, I have recently acquired a pen perfectly suited for signatures: a black Esterbrook Model J with a #9314M medium stub nib. I have toyed with the idea of keeping Dt as a signature only ink and not to use it for anything else; however, it is such a pleasant color to me, I doubt I could pull that off for very long. :D

All the best,

Edited by S. P. Colfer

I like BB inks with "character". My current favorites are Levenger Empyrean and PR Midnight Blues.

Sean,

I take your point about a person's signature being their word and their bond. A signature used in a business context is certainly an important and powerful thing. I use Quink Black in a Parker 45 Student (base model P45) at work. It scans well for electronic copies and it is suitably formal.

I also like blue blacks and green blacks and use Quink Blue Black, Noodler's Squeteague and Noodler's AirCorps Blue Black in my other pens. Other colours which are suitably formal are Diamine Saddle Brown and Diamine Damson, a nice black plum colour.

Regards,

CDKB.

For me, it depends on the document. If it's a business or legal document, I'm now using Noodler's Warden line - specifically, Big, Bad Kingfisher. It looks great and can easily be known as original and not a copy. With the high quality of copy machines available today, it's now possible to create documents of such quality that they're difficult to discern the original from the copies if you use black ink. Hence, I was instructed to never use black ink for legal or business documents. Dark blue or blue - black should be used instead.

As for other things, like notes or corresponding, I use whatever I have around. I like Baystate Blue a lot but used Herbin 1670 this year for the holidays and still have a Lamy loaded with it. Very impressive on cards.

But I think part of the fun is the surprise of what color ink will be used. All of my FP using friends switch up inks on a regular basis - I received a beauiful note last week where the writer was using Noodlers Apache Sunset and it was a lovely looking note that was bright, cheerful and had lots of shading to it. In answer to the query, my signature color would have to be that I use color - lots of them!

- OPG4711

Sean--

I did some self-employment stuff for a few years, and you do indeed end up signing lots of contracts, tax documents, etc. Might as well make your sig look as reassuring and professional as possible.

I, too, try to use a stub for my sigs -- I wouldn't buy a pen just the purpose, but I have it anyway and use it for other tasks, too.

Many years ago my wife observed that I shouldn't sign in black ink because it made it more difficult to distin guish the original from a photocopy. Since then I've tried to use inks that make the difference evident.

• 9 years later...

Greetings all,

I'm resurrecting this post from 2011 to see if anyone else's tastes have changed; or, if anyone "new" wants to put in their 2 cents. :D

When I wrote this, my signature ink for signatures was Diamine Twilight. It has since changed to the softer, more aqua toned Diamine Eau de Nil. :o

So, what is your signature color? Has it changed in the past 10/15 years?

Diamine Registrars or KWZ IG Blue #3, depending on the pen/nib combination I have loaded.

For a signature, it has to be both quick to dry and permanent.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Have been usin' blue-black inks for decades. Currently using Pilot blue-black for signatures

cutting checks et al. I like and use vintage blue-black Skrip..Quink..Waterman.

Pelikan 4001..Aurora..Diamine..Montblanc..Everflow and Legal Lapis. Use Conklin c.1920's

with a very flexible nib for signatures..checks.. and other pens with cursive italics..obliques..and stubs.

Fred

Edited by Freddy

Usually whatever I have at hand, but I always try to keep at least an FP loaded with permanent ink close, at least one in my pocket for quick notes.

A second factor is paper. Depending on quality, you can use one or the other.

Koh-i-noor permanent blue keeps the color after written, but the color it writes changes from a clear teal blue to a dark blue depending on the time it has been "maturing" inside the pen, oxidizing. The problem is that it is a very dry ink, so it is difficult for flourishes unless a wet or broader pen is used.

Montblanc Permanent blue is a safe bet and a color I do really like a lot. But I do not use that ink so often. When I have it loaded it is great for signing.

I really like Noodler's BSB, but it tends to show feathering and see-through unless used on good paper, diluted, or an EF/F pen. The see-through is less important in one-side forms, low quality printer paper, but disturbing all the same. though that may be a bonus on second thought.

When "black" is required, I prefer Noodler's Lexington Gray, Montblanc LE grey, or Noodler's X-feather. Again, depending on the paper. BTW, Koh-i-noor permanent black does also look more like a (dark) gray than black when fresh, but has a greenish tint I do not like that much and, like blue, is also dry.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

No single ink for this task. It’s generally a blue-black with high water resistance. Recently I switched to a permanent gel ink for signatures and things like checks: a Uni Signo blue-black, which is a wonderful teal-shifted sort, similar to Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo. It’s fitted into a Retro 51 rollerball pen I like. It was a practical decision: it’s more important to me to use a permanent ink that will write on any paper with no feathering. I still use fountain pens and mechanical pencils for most other writing.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.”