Do You Have A Signature Color For Signatures?

corniche

Greetings all,

Yesterday, I pulled out all of my BLUE or BLUE-BLACK inks and sat them on my desk. There were 26 different inks; all purchased in order to fulfill that elusive quest for a signature color. Many were ruled out for being too common, e.g., Aurora Blue was nixed for being too common. Granted, it is a beautiful, deep blue and it is a joy to use... for manuscripts, notes, forms, etc. However, it is still just a dark blue when you boil it down.

I believe a signature color should have a little complexity to it; something unique, you know what I mean? I like Quink and Waterman blue-black; however, they change color and I do not believe a signature should change color- it makes the recipient think there is something untrustworthy in the one who sent the letter- a signature should be like your word or your bond- it should remain unflappable and constant.

I know there have been a few interesting posts lately about ink color/character; ink color/personality correlations and to a large or small degree, I think correlations can be claimed. I'm a bit stodgy, e.g., I am really fond of turquoise; however, I would never use it in a business context, (I do use it on Christmas cards though). So, while I have 25 other shades of blue and blue-black; I have only ONE color that I use to sign my name.

That color is Diamine Twilight. While color choice is a very personal thing, (I know there are people here who do not care for this color AT ALL- and that's okay- color choice is one of those elemental chemical things in the brain that no one worth listening to can explain ;) ). At any rate, I like Diamine Twilight because it looks steady, conservative and trustworthy; however, that slight blue-green tint also gives it an air of approachability and friendliness, (and unlike WM or Quink blue-black- Diamine Twilight remains constant).

D.T. is the ONLY color I use to sign my name, (excepting personal correspondence- that varies). (Unless I find a better color down the road :blush: - although I doubt it).

Do you have a signature color? Pray tell, what is it and why?

All the best,

Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• corniche

• Koyote

• Sandy1

• BaronWulfraed

Not really, although there's a fair amount of Zhivago that gets used. My best friend and office mate laughs, though, when she hears me preparing to sign and letter and saying, "And don't make me have to get the stub for you."

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

For signatures, I always use only blues or blue-blacks.

B's: Visconti, Aurora, DuPont, MB, Lev's Cobalt, D's Majestic (a bit too green).

B-b's: MB, Lamy, Sailor's Jentle.

Best ink colours for my taste and/or purposes.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Signature choices for me are:

- Sailor Nano Carbon's--both black and blue/black

- Noodler's Blue Heron (really like this one)

- Noodler's Eliis Island

These are top one's because, 1: I really like the color; 2: they handle well on paper; 3: they're waterproof/bullet proof; 4: I like the way the color looks in my wide signature nib.

Dave

p.s. I also currently playing with a new bottle of Legal Lapis to see if it can make the cut. But the LL bug hasn't quite hit me yet like it has for others.

p.s.s. If Diamine Syrah was waterproof/bulletproof it would be at the top of this list.

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/fpn-verm.jpg

+1 for Sailor Nano Ultra Black. I use it in a Sailor 1911M with a Zoom nib. Hmmm, maybe I am full of myself. ;)

Pilot 78G, B->CI, Pilot Green cartridge

Sailor 1911M, H-M, Sailor Jentle Oku-Yama

TWSBI Diamond 530, M, Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-Budo

Parker "51" Vacumatic, 14K F, Sailor Jentle Yama-Dori

Pelikan M201, Binderized F, Noodler's Green Marine (sample)

I use MB Bordeaux, Diamine Oxblood, and Diamine Syrah for my signature. If I have to use a color other than red, I'll use some type of blue-black.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

I use MB Bordeaux, Diamine Oxblood, and Diamine Syrah for my signature..."

Hello Thornton,

I guess you like to your name in blood- now that is old-fashioned. ;)

All the best,

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Why not choose a waterproof ink, or an ink with waterproof components? I use Manhattan Blue or Air Corps Blue for signatures.

Hello RobbW,

I've seriously considered this; however, it would open a new can of worms... it took me 26 bottles of blue/blue-black to find my current signature color. I wonder how many bottles of Noodler's Bulletproof blues it will take me??? :lol:

Seriously though, I have thought about contacting Brian Goulet and asking for a sample vial of all the Noodler's waterproof blues and blue-blacks. However, for now, I'm going to enjoy having a signature color I really like; albeit non-waterproof.

All the best,

Either MB Midnight Blue or Noodler's Eel Blue...both have been ink choices when signing my name to multiple letters at work. The Eel Blue is a little slow drying, but I just set each letter end to end for a few minutes to let them dry a little longer. Both are sophisticated and elegant, but also business-like, on TY letters to donors :)

Edited by IWantThat

Tamara

I usually keep a businesslike blue loaded into my stub-nibbed pen and try to use it for signing letters and the more important forms. Usually Aurora blue or one of the Diamines (Sapphire or Midnight).

But really, if someone shoves a form at me (happens all the time at the office), I might just grab whatever is handy, even if it is loaded with purple ink. In my line of work (academia), flakiness is tolerated and even valued.

Hi,

For on duty signatures I use my daily writer workhorse ink - the Parker Quink Blue-Black with SOLV-X - not the current stuff, which is a mere Dark Blue. It is a pen & ink combo that has been with me for years, so that I am known by that combo, and usually only initial internal stuff.

I form my professional signature differently than my personal signature; and never use my on duty pen & ink for off duty signatures. Off duty pro forma stuff, (credit card chits, ransom notes, etc.), receive whatever ink is in my carry pen, and rarely receive a signature - just a scribble that does not match what's on the signature strip. For 'documents' I still use the Montblanc Midnight Blue, (geb. Blue-Black).

I made those choices when I was of very tender years, and it seemed advantageous to appear older than my age, especially in male-dominated environments.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

... I have only ONE color that I use to sign my name.

That color is Diamine Twilight.

Hi,

Considering that Diamine Twilight (Ink Link) is a fairly recent release, pray tell what ink was used prior to DT?

And (Ms Nosy here) what was the deciding factor/s which made you to change from your previous signature signing ink to DT?

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hello Thornton,

All the best,

Haha, yep. I love the way my signature looks in red.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

i prefer BB's for signature. right now MB is my fav, but this can change. other favs are: Diamine Prussian Blue, Lamy BB, Pelikan BB and Thistle Co BB powder ink.

... I have only ONE color that I use to sign my name.

That color is Diamine Twilight.

Hi,

Considering that Diamine Twilight (Ink Link) is a fairly recent release, pray tell what ink was used prior to DT?

And (Ms Nosy here) what was the deciding factor/s which made you to change from your previous signature signing ink to DT?

Bye,

S1

Hello Sandy,

For a very long time it had been WM bb, but then in the last few months or so, I started pondering it a little and came to the conclusion that a SC shouldn't change- it should stay as constant as the signer's word or bond. Then it began to bother me that WMbb changed color. (I've always known that WMbb changes to a tealish color- it never used to bother me because I like teal- it still doesn't bother me... excepting formal signatures).

Then for a time, most recently, it varied between 3 colors: Quink Permanent Blue- but that color is too bright for a signature, (IMO)- it looks a lot like Noodler's Eel Blue on paper and to a curmudgeon like myself, those colors are too festive for a formal signature. Aurora Blue is a nice deep blue, but devoid of nuance, (I think a signature color should have a little complexity). Then for a brief period, I used a custom blend of Aurora Blue and Black to make my own blue-black that doesn’t change color; however, after a short while, I realized that wasn’t the THE color I was searching for either, (it was too dark as well- basically looked black in most interior lighting). All of these colors lacked that special quality- they were all too basic for a SC.

Everflo blue-black came very close, it looks a lot like WMbb before it changes color. However, I think I may have also been becoming bored with that color after using it for so many years, (referring to how it looks like WMbb).

During the process, I acquired around 21 more bottles of ink, looking for just the right color, many colors never made it past the preliminaries and were never used for a formal signature at all, (those are the inks I use for manuscripts, notes, personal correspondence, etc, etc.). Then, around two weeks ago, I discovered Dtb and gave it a shot- fell in love with it... and the rest is history. To me, it seems like the perfect color for me; staid, conservative, pro-business; however, that dark green tint gives it that nuanced look I was searching for too; it gives the color approachability.

Dtb is :mellow: while still being :).

All the best,

Edited by S. P. Colfer

i prefer BB's for signature. right now MB is my fav, but this can change. other favs are: Diamine Prussian Blue, Lamy BB, Pelikan BB and Thistle Co BB powder ink.

Yes, blue-blacks are excellent signature colors.

- Sean :)

Hello Thornton,

All the best,

Haha, yep. I love the way my signature looks in red.

Hello Thornton,

I'm glad you were able to read past my grammatical error; it should have read, "...like to SIGN your name in blood...". BTW, I see you're on the Snail Mail list- PM sent. :)

All the best,

Edited by S. P. Colfer

I haven't settled on a signature color yet as I haven't got a pen I'm all together happy with how it handles my signature, think doctors scribble at lightning speed :( I do want to get something wet and durable enough to handle the task, Something in a wet nail :P

As for colors I have that I hope will work... Sailor Nano Black or Noodlers Walnut. Currently my VP is loaded with Polar Brown and that has done rather well, if only it was darker :(