Post-Christmas Present - Mabie Todd Swallow

I decided to get my wife some vintage pens for Christmas, as she only had a selection of modern ones, and none with any flex to speak of. I had bought her a couple of the new 'Mabie Todd' pens, based purely on the looks, and it got me interested in the company, so that was my prime target. I got distracted by a pretty pen, however, and bought a Parker Moderne first. After much time on fleabay, I found what looked like a very good MBT Swan, re-sac'ed and with a writing example included.

That should have been enough, but then I stumbled on to this Swallow. The pictures weren't great, and the description was worse, but it looked different from any other pen I'd seen. When it arrived, I was completely blown away by how beautiful it was. It took me a little while to get it sent off for a new sac and cleaning up (very well done by Tom Heath), so it didn't arrive back until after Christmas. I should have saved it for her birthday, but I couldn't bare to put it away. She loves it to the extent that the other two haven't even been inked yet.

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae111/travelling_scott/pens/mbt/3d794fef.jpg

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae111/travelling_scott/pens/mbt/5c5dafff.jpg

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae111/travelling_scott/pens/mbt/2e20d5c4.jpg

Can anyone tell me anything about the vintage of this pen?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hoopla

• Bo Bo Olson

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic pen! :notworthy1:

What nib, regular flex, semi-flex, slightly flexible or full flexible?

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Fantastic pen! :notworthy1:

What nib, regular flex, semi-flex, slightly flexible or full flexible?

Neither of us have any experience with flexible nibs or other vintage pens, so this isn't terribly educated, but I'd say semi-flex to slightly flexible; definitely not as flexible as vintage MBT's can be (according to what I've read here).

I have a couple of Full Flex nibs, that I'm not really ready skill wise to use.

I do like semi-flex, and have 7 slightly flexible nibs, that I like now even more than semi-flex.

So you have a fine nib, to go with a great pen.

You do have to have experience to judge the difference between semi-flex and slightly flexible.

I have an inherited pen, an Osmia-Farber-Castell 540.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/faber_osmia_62_f_marbled_15.jpg

I thought it as noobie, a wet writer. A nib those who use poor paper complain about, and others like.

The cork died after 6 weeks...well it had sat around dry for 30 years; 15 of them in my back drawer.

A year later, I got my first 'mythical' semi-flex and :thumbup: thought it semi-flex.

Then some months later, I got a maxi-semi-flex Rupp nib, that I decided finally was a Slightly Flexible.

That 540 was Slightly Flexible after all :yikes: and I'd not the experience to know.

A few pens down the road you will know exactly if it is semi-flex or slightly flexible.

The main thing is to enjoy your nib and very, very pretty pen. :thumbup: :thumbup:

By me that pen would be fighting it out for most pretty pen, and I can not see any one not having it in their top ten.

I knew I wanted a Swan...and I wanted for a long time a lever Swan....now I know which one. :clap1:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I knew I wanted a Swan...and I wanted for a long time a lever Swan....now I know which one. :clap1:

That is the funny thing, I was looking mostly for Swans, and not the "lesser" Swallow, but this one is spectacular. Most Swans are very conservative, and when one with some attractive color and/or design comes up, they tend to go for a lot more. This Swallow is also bigger than most of the Swan's I've seen, including the one I bought.

- Thanks for the compliments (on the pen) and your thoughts on geting to know the range of flexible nibs.