The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Reform Messenger

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 matt611

matt611

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 15:54

Posted Image

I discovered this pen in a bureau at home 3-4 months ago. My first impression was one of ecstasy at the site of a gold pen, on closer inspection however excitement levels quickly dropped as the pen looked like the sort you would be given just for enquiring about life insurance. None the less i flushed the pen through which was remarkably easy, and filled it with waterman Florida blue. What a revelation. The medium nib is smooth, delivering a consistent wet line.

Posted Image

I know very little about reform pens other than that they are now out of business. A quick search on this site and on google turned up very little other than NOS reform 1745s which seem very cheap.
The pen is stamped W. Germany dating it between 1949 and 1990.

Posted Image
- size comparison with a 149 and lamy

Overall

Having used the pen for several months i can report that it is a real keeper which is permanently on my desk ready to be picked up. This pen is never going to be a stunner in the looks department but it is growing on me; whilst I previously thought it looked a little naff due to its simple looks, I'm slowly begninning to appreciate the inner beauty of this pen.

Sponsored Content

#2 tonybelding

tonybelding

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:56

I know very little about reform pens other than that they are now out of business. A quick search on this site and on google turned up very little other than NOS reform 1745s which seem very cheap.

Most of the time when Reform comes up, it's people talking about their inexpensive pens.

However. . . My Reform Czar is one of my all time favorites. Its 14K gold nib is one of the most attractive open nibs (with a two-tone finish and a sleek, finless feed) that I've seen anywhere, plus it's an excellent semi-flexible writer. The body is hefty brass covered with marbled copper-flake lacquer, and it's beautiful. Reform definitely made some first class pens, you just don't see them around often. I've never seen a Czar on eBay.

#3 penluvva

penluvva

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2011 - 14:33

Just arrived in the mail today - a Messenger make, gold plated FP, exactly the same as posted above. In its original box, which shows that it was manufactured for the stationery firm - W.H. Smith.

Sponsored Content

|