Noodler's & Nib Creep

razr

Every time i think of trying any Noodler's ink I always hear of the problem with these inks and nib creep. And that turns me off!! :gaah: I'm not extremely

picky but I hate using any ink that leaves ink on the top of my nib.

Is this a problem with all Noolder's inks or just selective ones?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SamCapote

• razr

• bbern

• tenney

Out of these Noodler's inks only the first two have nib creep for me.

Coral Sea

Zhivago

Manhattan Blue

Air-Corp Blue-Black

Borealis Black

Navy

Purple Martin

Heart of Darkness

Midnight Blue

Adding to the no-creep list:

Golden Brown

Dark Matter

Dragon's Napalm

Periwinkle*

*but this one is generally ill mannered in every other way, so I don't recommend it unless you like writing with paint.

I'd have to check them all in my VP as it is the only pen I have experienced nib creep with. All the Noodlers inks I have put in my Custom 74 did not creep at all. My VP has had a steady diet of Walnut for the past 2+ years, and it creeps... allot...

Heart of Darkness creeps for me in my Lamy with F nib - I've even tried diluting it - improvement but not a total fix. I have read elsewhere on these forums that Lamy nibs can be particularly problematic with Noodler's inks, but I've had no problem with Dragon's Napalm or Hellfire.

I just got Polar Green and it nib creeps the worst I've seen of all my Noodler's inks, though I haven't tried Eel Turquoise yet which I also just got. With my other Noodler's colors, the ink just spots the top of the nib once in a while, with Polar Green it's all along the nib slit up and worse down toward the tip.

I've never had any problems with nib creep except on my Lamy Al-Star Medium nib with Noodler's Blue-Black. I've used Noodler's on Pelikans, TWSBIs, Crosses and Lamys and that's the only model I've had that happen with that ink.

In some things in life it's better to take a Zen approach. If you think too much you won't achieve your goal, wheras if you don't think and let yourself go, it shall be achieved with ease. I find this helpful in writing, kendo and music.

Sounds like a personal problem to me. :rolleyes:

I'm teasing. I don't quite get the whole "EEK! There's ink on my pen!" thing but that's okay. My husband doesn't get why I hate the sound of drawers and cabinets closing and why he has to walk around behind me closing them all the way. It's just a little neurotic glitch I live with.

okay - but on topic. It might be worthwhile to read this: http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/ttp/creeps.htm

If for some reason that doesn't work - go to www.richardspens.com, click on reference pages, then scroll down to find "A case of the creeps" in the "To the point" articles listing.

I have found that my better lubricating inks tend to creep more and for that I'm more than happy to live with it. But then, I think ink and pens belong together so it seems like something we ought to be able to live with. Imagine if you were living back when all that was available was the dip pen. if your ink didn't creep a bit, you'd either have a pooling mess on your paper or ink stuck up high on nib where it's of no value. You can get an idea of how this works by buying new dip nibs and using them straight out of the package with an ink like Pelikan. My experience with Pelikan ink and dip nibs (especially nibs that haven't been "treated") has been to have no flow whatsoever.

pick your priority and go with it.

Edited by KCat
stupid typo

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

I use an Esterbrook J Double Jewel with a 2556 nib and it creeps pretty badly with just about any ink I use mainly Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black and the nib is always covered in blue, but I think of it as normal but maybe I'm wrong?

Isn't nib creep contingent upon 1) the nib and 2) the ink?

For example, I have nib creep in my Visconti Rembrand regardless of the ink in it. While Noodlers Ottoman Azure will be creapy in one pen, but not the other.

I think to say, "This ink always creaps" is a bit of an overstatement. I do, however, understand your frustration.

It varies. I've used Noodlers Blue and Ottoman Azure without nib creep. Eel Blue doesn't creep, but it dries very slowly.

Generally, I don't like Noodlers colors, but ordinary Noodlers behaves like any other saturated ink.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

• 2 weeks later...

Would just like to mention that my recently purchased bottle of Noodler's Green Marine is creeping (in various degrees) in every single pen I own, even a recently "binderized" VP nib. Therefore, my guess is that it is an overly wet batch, even though it doesn't seem to flow nearly as wet in my wet nibs (snorkel, binderized VP, shaeffer balance lifetime, lamy M) as a standardized wet ink like the PR Tanzanite. This seems contradictory to some of the research I've done. The Green Marine still seems to make my wet pens feel dry despite its creepiness... I'm guessing it must be a gritty green with too much surfactants to counter-balance, which in my mind can't be all that great for pens. Now, I'm scared to try any other Noodler's inks after that experience since it isn't aligned with other reviews I've read of the Green Marine. It's a shame it is the perfect green color I'm looking for to put in my "Green" pens. Any recommendations for a similarly hued, but better flowing and less creepy green?

Brad

Daily Carry = Namiki Decimo Capless VP - Mica Blue

Revision (red ink) = Lamy Safari - Red

What's confusing me about this topic is that my new Noodler's flex nib pen is called "a nib creaper" (yes, spelled that way).

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

What's confusing me about this topic is that my new Noodler's flex nib pen is called "a nib creaper" (yes, spelled that way).

I went over the source of this spelling and Nathan's opinion about those who use nib creep as a negative factor. Hint Hint) See the link in the 4th paragraph of the Catfish dressed up as the Grim Reaper as his way of addressing the creepy critics.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

• 2 years later...

Ive found that my noodlers inks creep in pretty much everytging but not that badly.

What i hace noticed recently was with noodlers blu/black. I have it in a sheaffer 100 and i have crazy nib creep. After experimenting ive found that it doesnt creep so much naturally. When i take the cap off there must be suctiin that pulls it out onto the nib. When i write with it the residual nib creep goes away, im guessing through the capillary (sp) action and onto the page. Maybe its just that i have mostly all snap cap pens, but it seems that the seal that is made when i snap them closed is the same thing that draws the ink onto the nib when i *Pop* open tge cap.

I have a moneverde invincia deluxe nighthawk that is a screw cap and i get no nib creep on that nib. In all fairness i havent used the noodlers blue/black in that one yet but i have air corp b/b in it and i have no nib creep, while in other pens i get some creep.

I will experiment more with this and see what i can find out.

Oh and if i clean the nib then put on and pop off my snap cap pens, there is more and more ink on the nib each time so thats why i assume the suction or the seal it what draws it out.

Especially with my sheaffer 100s because it seems to have a cushion that the writing uit fits in then the whoke assembly moves fully into the cap into the clicked closed position. Great for sealing the pen bit.not so much for tge cleanliness of the nib i guess....

Has anyine else noticed this!?!

-Stefan

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk245/WIKKID85/me/pen%20stuff/SnailBadge.png

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk245/WIKKID85/me/pen%20stuff/unnamed.jpg

People seem to mean different things by "nib creep". I don't mind at all having ink on my nib. What gets me down is when the ink turns into a kind of crystalline growth all over the the nib when I leave a pen alone for a week or so. I love the color of Diamine Kelly Green, but I can't use it because every pen I've tried it in ends up growing "moss". This, for those who haven't experienced it, does interfere with writing in a way ink simply covering a nib doesn't.

The only Noodler's inks I have are two of the FPN specials, Galileo Manuscript Brown and Dumas Tulipe Noire, and neither of them causes what I would call nib creep as above.

Edited by Torculus Resupinus