Thinking of purchasing a Waterman Hemisphere

kissing

Hi there :)

I received my first Waterman Pen today (Phileas), and I love the way it writes. A nice wet line, and the nib creates wonderful loops when I write with it :lol: It sure does live up to the great things I have heard about it.

However, I have a preference for metal pens, and saw a steel/chrome trim metallic Waterman Hemisphere for sale and pondering whether or not to get it. How does the nib compare to the Phileas nib? Are they the same (except Phileas is gold-plated design) ?

Please be honest, and also critical :)

I believe the one I saw at the shop was this one:

http://www.pencity.com.au/images/HemisphereFPSTCT.jpg

[editted - grammatical error]

Edited by kissing

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kissing

• kathywc

• inkdesigner

• Scribbles

I bought one just like that from someone on the marketplace. It is a very nice pen for the price. The steel nib is smooth; not as smooth as some of mine, but I like it.

Ron

Favorite Pens: Parker "51"Lamy 2000; Bexley America the Beautiful; Pilot Custom 823, 912 and 74; Sheaffer Early Touchdown; Parker Vacumatic; Sheaffer Legacy

I bought a Hemisphere (black with gold nib) a few months ago. I got it because I liked the size and weight when I tried it in the store (Hampton Stationery in Virginia). It is a medium to heavy pen whereas the Phileas is light. The medium nib is wider that most mediums.

Believe it or not, I've never tried a Phileas, but the smoothness of the Hemisphere nib was a major reason I bought it. That was on a stainless nib in the store, but I ordered a gold nib because I like the look of the gold trim. I think the gold nib is just as smooth. (Obviously it's not solid gold, so it's probably the same nib with some gold plating.)

I had a problem with some skipping at first. I've cleaned it a few times and switched ink. I don't know if the problem was fixed by the cleaning or the ink, but now it writes beautifully. The ink I settled on is Aurora Black, which has a reputation for being very flee-flowing. (I also tried Pelikan 4001 blue and black and Waterman Florida Blue.) I didn't try Skrip ink, but I understand it's also very flee-flowing and less expensive than the Aurora ($10 a bottle plus $5 shipping--haven't found a local supply so have to order it off the internet).

Hope this helps.

Louie

I received my first Waterman Pen today (Phileas), and I love the way it writes. A nice wet line, and the nib creates wonderful loops when I write with it :lol: It sure does live up to the great things I have heard about it.

Kissing,

Is that the one from me? If it is, I am sure glad it has lived up to your expectations. I was hesitant to let it go because it is such a great writer, but I needed to make some room for my new Watermans. I purchased a beautiful Waterman W2, which I already have in hand (just haven't inked it yet :doh: ) and a Waterman 52 that was restored not to long ago by the wonderful Mr. Binder. I can't wait to get that one in.

BTW, I am still looking for a great deal on a sterling Edson. Anybody got one they want to let go cheap to a fellow Waterman lover :P :roflmho: ?

Inkdesigner

Take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly, and try another. But by all means, try something.

--Franklin D. Roosevelt

Indeed, inkdesigner, it is your Waterman :)

The Phileas you sent me is happily being used as an everyday writer, though I'm hesitant to put it in my pencil case along with my other pens (most of them are metal pens). But it seems quite happy when travelling in my shirt pocket :lol:

In Australia, the Phileas costs a whopping $120 in Brick n Mortar shops :unsure: So to me, a Phileas seems like a dear dear pen (and it sure does look and write like one).

I was surprised at how pretty the marbled design was and the nib is amazing!! (Though a bit stiff).

I'm currently saving up for my next Waterman (possibly the Hemisphere) which I saw at a store for discount (my funds are half way there :lol:)

regards

Kissing

Kissing-

I actually have that pen. It was my first fountain pen and I love it. My friends used to tease me by calling it the "uberpen" then I got more fountain pens, and they stopped commenting to me about my new obsession. :D

I have an XF nib on the pen, and it is as smooth as the medium it came with. I don't have a phileas to compare it to, but I have absolutely no complaints about the pen.

kathy wc

We find rest in those we love, and we provide a resting place in ourselves for those who love us.--Bernard of Clairvaux

• 2 weeks later...

However, I have a preference for metal pens, and saw a steel/chrome trim metallic Waterman Hemisphere for sale and pondering whether or not to get it. How does the nib compare to the Phileas nib? Are they the same (except Phileas is gold-plated design) ?

Please be honest, and also critical  :)

I believe the one I saw at the shop was this one:

http://www.pencity.com.au/images/HemisphereFPSTCT.jpg

[editted - grammatical error]

Kissing,

Did you end up purchasing the Waterman Hemisphere? I have my eyes on a similar gold trimmed steel Hemisphere (I appear to have a thing for steel pens as well) and I am wondering how it compares to the Parker Frontier or Sonnet. Sorry, I don't have experience with other pens yet to compare.

How is the Phileas compared with either of the Parker pens pens? I'm looking at adding an inexpensive Waterman to my small (growing) collection.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Scribbles,

I have a Hemisphere and tried a Sonnet at the pen shop.. I was deciding between the Hemisphere, Sonnet and Centeury II.

I ended up going with the Hemisphere because it gave a nice wet line and I found it to be just a bit more smooth than the sonnet.

The Hemisphere is a good pen to write with, though the pen might skip a little bit in the beginning, but as you write more, it becomes a very smoooth writing pen.

I use the hemipshere as an everyday pen and I love it!

Hope it helps :D

I tried one once and it seemed very nice. To me, it had a better feel than the Phileas I tried. But I only had them for less than a day, so this doesn't indicate much.

I have a Waterman Hemisphere of the red marble lacquer variety and like it very much. It is comfortable in my hand. Writes smoothly and lays down a nice wet line. I have used it a lot the past two weeks and have it filled with PR Dakota Red for the holiday season. As it turns out, I just acquired a red and a blue Waterman Phileas. I haven't had a change to write very much with either Phileas yet. I did ink them and try them out. Both Phileas felt larger to my hand than the Hemisphere. Not uncomfortable though. Both layed down really wet lines. The blue Phileas more so than the red. As a lefty, I'll have to be cautious about not smearing the ink. I don't have that issue with the Hemisphere. The Hemisphere and both Phileas have medium nibs. Comparing the three pens I would say the Hemisphere is on the fine side of medium, the red Phileas medium and the blue Phileas on the wide side of medium.

Edited by fpweasle

• 2 weeks later...

:meow:

Hi there

had a Hemisphere.

poor writer. Tried to persevere. Tried different inks. No good. Poor dry writer.

Possibly faulty feed but would not risk buying another.

:(

Armchop