The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Kaigelu 316 Gray-Amber

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 brumxi

brumxi

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 17:33

Hi there,

Another review of a Chinese marvel by yours truly:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Respectfully disagreeing since 1978.

Sponsored Content

#2 Fountainpenlover

Fountainpenlover

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2011 - 17:56

Nice review Brumxi! I have a similar one to this but of a bluish/grey colour, with which I am very happy. In fact I had ordered a similar one in white with black veins as a present and it was well received. The converter in mine had dropped, and as it is made of glass had broken, so I am now using international cartridges which fit perfectly. The price for this pen is admittedly ridiculous considering that it is looks so similar to the Parker Centennial and International; probably more similar to the Centennial as my International is smaller than this and the barrel is also thinner. Your review really highlights the main points of this pen!

Edited by Fountainpenlover, 08 January 2011 - 17:59.

#3 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2011 - 17:56

wow great review! any pics of the threaded end of the converter? curious to see that.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#4 Neshobe

Neshobe

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 17:35

Thanks to your review and a couple of others on the Kaidelu, I just ordered one. Pretty colors were gone, so I ordered a charcoal, kind of classic looking. The white with black veins looked nice, but I thought it might be a little too flashy for everyday use (which is what I wanted this for). I might change my mind about that if the pen lives up to everyone's reviews... that is, if it is still available! I also had sort of funny feelings wondering if this might be made in a Chinese factory with substandard conditions and low pay, thus the remarkable bargain. But when quality is as high as these are said to be, it may be they are looking to position themselves in the market. Anyway, hope I'm as impressed as the rest of the people who have one!

#5 rwilsonedn

rwilsonedn

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,795 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 21:57

Great review, and it was especially helpful of you to point out that this is not just a slip-in converter, and so it requires some attention. I have one also, and I entirely agree--great pen, beautiful to look at, wonderful writer: unposted.
ron

#6 HEROfan

HEROfan

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 June 2011 - 15:45

Yes this pen is one of my favorites, i have it in grey and silver swirl (i think they called it "smoke") and it writes beautifully, especially after i ground the nib down to a stub italic. it is by far one of my workhorse pens and is the one that spends every day of the week clipped in my pocket.

#7 isellpens

isellpens

isellpens

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:15

Great review and so glad you are happy with the pen! I just put the Kaigelu #316 back in stock at iSellpens. We have had some big price increases and I am still keeping the price at $35.00 as I really hate to raise prices. I do now sell the boxes separately as my costs have really went up as well as the shipping costs from China are nuts. I would like to mention all the nibs I have seen had near perfect gold plating like yours. On a previous posting someone posted a picture of a defective nib not purchased from me and thanks to that picture it was rumored that they all look like that so I want to clear that misconception up. I would of course guarantee it if someone did get a defect from me. Thanks for also mentioning in the review about the converter being screwed in. I inspect each pen before shipping it along with removing the converter. I had a few people pull them out and beak converter inside the pen by pulling it out and ruining the pen so it’s important to screw in the converter.

#8 ghazali

ghazali

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:29

Great thorough review, Brumxi. I have this pen on the way along with 5-6 other Chinese pens so i'll be able to judge for myself if the quality is up to my expectations. Certainly your review has my hopes up very high indeed. I'll get the othet patterns too if my order satisfies me thoroughly.

Sponsored Content

|