The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Lamy 2000 & Namiki Vanishing Point Mini-Comparison

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 caric

caric

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:36

I've had a Namiki Vanishing Point (Fine nib) for a couple years now. I just received a Lamy 2000 (Extra Fine nib) as a gift from my brother (thanks bro!) This is the new-design 2000, with stainless steel around the breather hole.

I'm amazed at how great the Lamy 2000 is. smooth, yet with some feedback, the 2000 has an incredible, controlled feeling.

In comparison, the Vanishing Point feels like I'm writing on ice. I never thought I'd say it was too smooth, but that's how I'm starting to feel after writing with the Lamy 2000.

The Lamy (posted) feels just slightly lighter than the Namiki.

I can already tell the Lamy 2000 is not going to be leaving my hand anytime soon!

lamy_vp.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:00

yep. l2k all day, bay-bay!! one of my dearest favorites.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#3 ThirdeYe

ThirdeYe

Snail Mail Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:05

Two great pens, hope to get one of each someday. :) Thanks for the comparison.
Derek's Pens and Pencils
I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

#4 Sagar_C

Sagar_C

Animalia Chordata Mammalia Primates Hominidae Homo S. Sapiens

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:20

My medium nibbed Pilot VP is the smoothest pen I have. Haven't used a Lamy yet.

#5 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2011 - 15:21

Few months ago I made a full comparison review

http://www.fountainp...00-vs-pilot-vp/

And came to the same conclusion.

Pilot VP is a great pen but the L2K is simply better!!!
Respect to all

#6 dgator

dgator

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 15:47

I enjoy writing with both pens. I find the VP to be a better "meeting pen". When I'm taking notes at a meeting it's nice to be able to click open as needed. Since I usually don't post the cap--there's no cap to lose. The L2K is superior in ink capacity--hard to see what's left when using converter in VP. For me it's use based--
VP--office "carry around", frequent stop/start writing
L2K--working at desk, longer writing

#7 RayOski1

RayOski1

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:05

I enjoy writing with both pens. I find the VP to be a better "meeting pen". When I'm taking notes at a meeting it's nice to be able to click open as needed. Since I usually don't post the cap--there's no cap to lose. The L2K is superior in ink capacity--hard to see what's left when using converter in VP. For me it's use based--
VP--office "carry around", frequent stop/start writing
L2K--working at desk, longer writing

+1

#8 inkpenguin

inkpenguin

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:17

Caric, I simply must compliment you on your excellent taste. Firstly you picked a Yellow VP and then you acquired a Lamy 2000. Precisely the pen and colour that I would have chosen.

I like you already! Posted Image

I concur with the point that the VP probably makes a better meeting pen, but the Lamy 2000 is so juicy and wet that you can probably leave it uncapped for quite a while without it ever drying out.

#9 caric

caric

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2011 - 21:58

Caric, I simply must compliment you on your excellent taste. Firstly you picked a Yellow VP and then you acquired a Lamy 2000. Precisely the pen and colour that I would have chosen.

I like you already! Posted Image

Thanks!

Edited by caric, 10 January 2011 - 22:01.

#10 caric

caric

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2011 - 22:01

Another observation: when using "normal" paper (like, say, standard office laser printer paper), the VP's over-the-top smoothness is a benefit. the Lamy feels heavy and sluggish on regular paper. my other writing with my new Lamy was on clairefontaine paper.

my Lamy 2000 is the new-style Extra Fine nib. I still haven't written a lot with it yet, just here and there.

#11 AviSz

AviSz

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 00:27

love them both. thanks for the reveiw.

Sponsored Content

|