The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Parker Lady

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef

Vintage Hobby Nut

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:29

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Here goes my first pen review. I bought this Parker Lady at a local Antique store, cleaned it up with water and filled it with Noodlers Heart of Darkness. I needed a pen to have black ink somewhere :P Anyway, this pen has seen allot of used and has some scars on it but more deep rubs than scratches, no cracks. The sales guy seemed to know what he was talking about but mentioned that it had a steel nib. After a good cleaning the nib looks gold... As the writing sample shows the nib is fat!! But all I have to compare are a few Japanese pens.

This pen is short, hence Lady, obviously designed for smaller hands of it's time. I think my middle finger is bigger all around than this pen...

Writing is very smooth, and FAT! Something I would imagine from a Bold nib, again not having a B to test out I couldn't say, for all I know it's the HoD and the wetness of the flow. I do get a touch of dry starting if I hold the pen more than 10 to 15 seconds before writing.

So there it is, Let me know what else would be interesting to see so I can make the next one a bit better :)

Ok no clue how to get the writing pic the way it should be...

Edited by DwarvenChef, 06 January 2011 - 08:08.

Sponsored Content

#2 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:05

thx! i liked your review!

i think it will be too small for me, but i always like the look of the hooded nibs, specially Parker's!

can you tell us how much you paid?... just curious!

PS. please don't call the pen "old".... "vintage" will do. :P

#3 DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef

Vintage Hobby Nut

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:07

LoL Ok let me see if I can fix it :P Doh it's in the picture...

I paid a whole wapping $16 bucks for it :) but in my current situation thats way to much...

Edited by DwarvenChef, 06 January 2011 - 08:08.

#4 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,158 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2011 - 19:04

Thanks for this - as it happens, a black one of these arrived with me today. The seller (on Ebay) had advertised it as a Parker 51. I knew it wasn't of course and sent him a message. We exchanged a few more and in the end he said I could have it for £10 including postage, if I wanted it. Not really knowing what it was, I thought it was worth a punt. It looks in about the same condition as yours,with a fine nib. I haven't yet flushed or cleaned it, but I've no reason to suppose it won't work. It's probably the smallest pen I've ever bought and that, together with a nib which is virtually unusable to me means that I'll be moving it on. But interesting anyway.....

Edited by Aysedasi, 12 January 2011 - 19:05.

#5 brownargus

brownargus

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2011 - 14:56

I was recently digging around in my desk and found a Parker box with a Parker 17 Lady in the maroon as the one reviewed (I also have the matching pencil somewhere). It was one I bought for my wife about 40 years ago and it hasn't been used for at least 20 years. I gave it a quick rinse through and filled it with Quink Blue (the filler is still in perfect order) and I was astounded at how well it wrote. It appears to have a Fine nib which gives a good sharp line and good ink flow. Despite its being small I find that in my moderate sized hands it is well balanced and I really like it.

John

Favourite pens in my collection (in alpha order): Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron F and Leman Black/Silver F; Parker 51 Aerometric M and F; Parker 61 Insignia M, Parker Duofold Senior F; Platinum #3776 Century M; Sailor 1911 Black/Gold 21 Kt M; Sheaffer Crest Palladium M/F; Sheaffer Prelude Silver/Palladium Snakeskin Pattern F; Waterman Carene Deluxe Silver F

Sponsored Content

|