The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Staples Arc Line

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#21 Treecat

Treecat

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 21:13

Did the prices go up? Or are they different depending on location? I got my junior size one a while back for $5.99 and the letter sized one for $10.99.

They were on sale several weeks ago, but even $10 and $15 for the leather covers is still good. :)

Still having a problem finding 8 l/2 x 11 project planner paper. It's out of stock at the store near my office and has been for a couple of weeks. I dropped by another store over the weekend and while it's shown in stock there, it wasn't on the shelf. They probably had some in the back but I was on my way to visit friends and didn't have time to ask them to check. I bought a few other things and the guy at the register said the ARC system is selling very well. But.. ack! I'll be glad when they come out with a punch!

Sponsored Content

#22 funkypeanut

funkypeanut

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:16

I finally made it to Staples, and the first one I went to had notebooks and accessories but no filler paper. The other one had filler paper and nothing else. No green covers, but I did manage to get leather in both sizes -- the last leather ones the store had. People at both the stores told me that they couldn't get more Arc supplies and thought that that meant that the company was discontinuing them. I'm hoping that they just underestimated the demand. For about $40 I got what would have cost me around $200 from Levenger.

#23 Treecat

Treecat

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 19:12

I'm having a sad feeling about Staples ARC refill paper. The store closest to me has been out of the letter-size project planner paper for several weeks now, another store has been out for about two weeks. You still can't order this particular paper (and several other ARC paper styles) on the Staples website. I hope they've underestimated the demand for it, but I don't understand why its taking so long to get the paper back in stock.

I wanted to buy several packs to tide me over until the Staples ARC punch is ready (whenever that will be), but I'm now wondering if I won't have to go the Circa punch route. :(

#24 psmalley0927

psmalley0927

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:39

A main reason I'm enjoying the Arc so much more than the Circa (aside from a HUGE difference in price) is that the rings are just a little bit thicker so the annoying (to me) wiggling of my Circa notebooks doesn't happen. The whole structure is very stable. I do wish the Arc could hold more pages, but that's a small complaint.
Lesley

I really like this systems as well. The only issue that I have is the business card/loose paper holder on the front cover of the leather notebook covers. That flap creates an annoying bump. I was considering trying to cut it off. Was wondering if anyone had tried that modification.

#25 PJohnP

PJohnP

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 16:40

I've been working with the Arc system now for about a week, and I've been generally well pleased.

For the largest degree, the Arc quality point is extremely good. The "binder covers" are extremely good value for the cost, and the Arc paper has proven quite FP friendly, even with an ink like Parker Penman Sapphire, which can feather in some cases. I'm working a bit more with the graph paper inserts, but neither the standard pages or the graph pages are showing any appreciable bleedthrough or show-through so far with various inks. The plastic dividers are actually pretty good, and the colours work passing well without any tags placed on the index tabs to allow ready identification of the sections.

The pen loops, however, are pretty problematical for my Pelikans, even though I can fit an M400 in the smaller Arc book loop. I don't think that the materials of construction for the loop are particularly "pen-friendly" for a better quality pen. I'm typically keeping a pen in a shirt pocket, so this is not an insurmountable issue.

The one serious omission, which has been noted by others, is the lack of an Arc "smurf punch" for the paper (these are often called "smurfs" because of the roughly mushroom shaped hole to accommodate the Arc disks that looks like the hatted cartoon characters). Researching and reading on several other sites than FPN, I've discovered that the latest version of the Levenger punch is the much more desirable one for punching smurfs of the right size to turn easily on Arc/Levenger/Rollabind rings/disks. That's sharply tempered my interest in getting a used one from eBay, as the older models supposedly punch smaller, more binding holes that the paper can catch on when being turned. I have sufficient paper for the moment to wait a bit longer to see if Staples will bridge this gap, and further, to see if the punch from Staples will be properly manufactured. I might eventually make the jump to the Levenger punch if this Arc system continues to work so well, even though the price point on the punch from Levenger is relatively high.

To make this even a bit more fun, an FPN member was recently selling off a Levenger Circa "starter pack" of gear which I purchased, and when that arrives, I'll have a fairly complete set of Circa/Arc materials for me to use the system, well, systematically...

John P.

#26 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2011 - 19:21

A main reason I'm enjoying the Arc so much more than the Circa (aside from a HUGE difference in price) is that the rings are just a little bit thicker so the annoying (to me) wiggling of my Circa notebooks doesn't happen. The whole structure is very stable. I do wish the Arc could hold more pages, but that's a small complaint.
Lesley

I really like this systems as well. The only issue that I have is the business card/loose paper holder on the front cover of the leather notebook covers. That flap creates an annoying bump. I was considering trying to cut it off. Was wondering if anyone had tried that modification.

Try putting one of the poly tab dividers as your first page. It should smooth out the bumps from the card holders. Or do like I do, I have several of the poly tabs & I write from the middle of the book so it's a more even writing platform, when that page is complete, I move that written page to where ever I want it. That is the beauty of this system. Enjoy!

#27 Emoo

Emoo

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2011 - 21:01

I sort of wish I'd done more research before ordering my Levenger starter kit now...but since these papers all fit in with each other, I guess it'll be nicer for when I need refills and such.

Though I do have a question: are the printed lines grayish, or are they pretty dark? When I was looking at Rollabind paper today in class (SUCH a rebel, I am), it reminded me too much of the paper I used for essays in AP tests and the SAT/ACT. Too scary to repeat. >.>

Edited because I'm such a fail at spelling, apparently.

Edited by Emoo, 21 February 2011 - 22:36.

Emoo the Sad Cow
Looking for a Hero 850. Because they're cool. Let me know if you have one you want to sell.

#28 dgturner

dgturner

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2011 - 20:48

I was reading the thread and decided to bring it back to life over the punch. I have seen the "Coming in Fall|October" hoopla for a while on blogs and postings, but never anything from Staples, until now.
Staple's Arc Marketing Page, second frame, middle option, last mini-pic
Posted Image

I already have a Levenger punch (version 2), and I am currently lusting over the new Levenger punch (here):
Posted Image

-- Avatar Courtesy of Brian Goulet of Goulet Pens (thank you for allowing people to use the logo Brian!) --

#29 chrevbel

chrevbel

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2011 - 21:01

Been using Circa for a while and am quite satisfied. Haven't tried Arc yet. Has anyone ever seen either one available in A4 (European) size? I have an Atoma (very similar), but prefer the Circa covers I'm using and the Arc covers I've seen.

#30 niccig

niccig

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2011 - 21:11

never anything from Staples, until now

Haha, I guarantee this went up because I just bought the Levenger punch!
Sample Request: I really really want to try Diamine Steel Blue. I will trade you samples!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#31 funkypeanut

funkypeanut

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 23:47

Been using Circa for a while and am quite satisfied. Haven't tried Arc yet. Has anyone ever seen either one available in A4 (European) size? I have an Atoma (very similar), but prefer the Circa covers I'm using and the Arc covers I've seen.

Circa and Arc only come in American standard paper sizes, but there's something similar in the Clairefontaine catalog.

Yay for the Staples punch! I had an email from them in March saying that it was coming "very soon," and I've been checking ever since then.

#32 Dark Side

Dark Side

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2011 - 00:28

Ooo that's a nice looking paper punch, the handle looks a lot more ergonomic than my Levenger punch. Wish they'd tell us how many sheets it does at a time and what the price will be.

#33 htran18

htran18

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:23

Ooo that's a nice looking paper punch, the handle looks a lot more ergonomic than my Levenger punch. Wish they'd tell us how many sheets it does at a time and what the price will be.

I don't know how much the price will be but it punches 10 sheets at a time.

#34 testrider

testrider

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2011 - 17:12

I guess it cannot be more expensive than the Levenger punch or Staples is going to push everybody to Levenger...

#35 JSButterfly

JSButterfly

JSButterfly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 17:37

Wooohoo... Just picked up my ARC in brown...tho they did also have RED and a lime Green and a Blue.

LOVe LOVE LOVE the paper and sturdiness of the system. One thing I DO miss is some kind of closure.

To all of you who haved used the system for a while, do you find that you would like to have some kind of closure? Has anyone been able to devise one? Can you share what you've done?

Thanks.

#36 NateB

NateB

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 18:04

Wooohoo... Just picked up my ARC in brown...tho they did also have RED and a lime Green and a Blue.

LOVe LOVE LOVE the paper and sturdiness of the system. One thing I DO miss is some kind of closure.

To all of you who haved used the system for a while, do you find that you would like to have some kind of closure? Has anyone been able to devise one? Can you share what you've done?

Thanks.

When I need it, I use a hair band. It is black, approximately 1/4" wide, and has a clear line of silicone running the length of the backside. You can get them at WalMart, etc. It works great and doesn't look out of place.

Edited by NateB, 15 September 2011 - 18:04.

#37 krbmsw

krbmsw

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2011 - 18:24

Is it wrong that I'm as excited about that punch as I am about the new Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8? The difference is that I'll probably be buying the punch.

http://www.fountainp...assed_smile.gif
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
— Dr. Seuss

#38 JSButterfly

JSButterfly

JSButterfly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 20:59

When I need it, I use a hair band. It is black, approximately 1/4" wide, and has a clear line of silicone running the length of the backside. You can get them at WalMart, etc. It works great and doesn't look out of place.
[/quote]

Nice...very nice...

Do you apply the hairband lengthwise or widthwise?

#39 Deirdre

Deirdre

Stipula Ventidue Ti Nib Adoption Agency

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,122 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 22:42

In the same family, I enjoy Myndology notebooks.
deirdre.net
"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

#40 yugami

yugami

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:38

I personally hate closure systems on any notebooks I use. I've been using an Arc Jr for a few months now and don't see a benefit.

Sponsored Content

|