Nibs For Twsbi

Halden

It was a bit dry. I had to widen the ink channel of the feed, and to open a bit the tines. Now it writes well, with baystate blue of the barrel :thumbup:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• liverman

• saskia_madding

• stacybean

• watch_art

I received my 14K 1.1 Stub Italic and worked it onto my TWSBI tonight... wow it is a great nib!! I LOVE it! It was writing a bit dry and skipping at first for me as well. I took an exacto the feed and widen the tines a bit. Now it is a nice wet wide line.

I can't wait to get my Bay State Blue ink to put into my Blue TWSBI. It is going to be my dedicated BSB pen, so I don't care about the staining.

All in all, I spent $110 on this pen with the 14K nib... not too bad for an M800 knockoff.

:)

Edited by Pensfan

this year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practice ourselves the kind of behavior we expect from other people.

~ C.S. Lewis

Yes, the twsbi is an entirely different pen with such a nice stub :thumbup: . Now be careful not to over-tighten the cap, because you'll crack the section. Enjoy!. The combo with BSB is perfect :eureka:

When these arrive, I'll plug 'em into my TWSBI and give 'em a test drive.

Greg

Arrived today. General comments:

• These are made by Daycom
  • The tipping on the medium appears to be slightly less than on the TWSBI
  • They are all gold plated
  • They are narrower at the shoulders (less flare) than TWSBI nib - less presence than the TWSBI nib
  • They have a more pronounced curvature at the base and all required a little flaattening of the curvature to match the TWSBI feed and nib holder

Writing samples:

http://www.pbase.com/liverman/image/131993174/medium.jpg

The 1.5mm Italic nib was the most problematic to fit to the feed. It has very little tipping material. I really don't care for the way it writes.

The broad and medium nibs with a quick alignment check fit well and wrote smoothly right off. The fine and extra fine nibs were a bit more finnicky and I am still not quite satisfied with my alignment job. They wrote OK, but a little scratchy. I think they'll be OK with a bit more work.

As you can see the TWSBI medium seems to be a bit wider than the Daycom medium.

Net: Not a bad investment at USD 6.99 per nib. Good to practice my nib adjustment skills and play with different widths on the TWSBI pen. If I screw up the nibs - no real harm done. I now have a few alternatives in my kit if I want 'em.

I like my nibs from NibMeister better as real writing nibs. Ranking so far:

1) Meister Nibs (based on my experience with a #6 in another pen) - Brian tested his #5 nibs in his TWSBI so I am confident they would work great in my pen, too.

1) TWSBI

2) Daycom nibs from Woodturners Catalog

More on the way...

The more I know about computers, the more I like my pens.

Colorado Pen Show

5-7 October 2018

Denver, Colorado

Yes, the twsbi is an entirely different pen with such a nice stub :thumbup: . Now be careful not to over-tighten the cap, because you'll crack the section. Enjoy!. The combo with BSB is perfect :eureka:

fjf,

I also ordered a 1.1mm Italic Nib. It looks very well made. When it arrive, I'll show some writing sample.

Thanks for the tip!

Can you fit any non TWSBI nibs onto a TWSBI? Has anyone tried? Any pictures or Video?

Hello! Not sure if I'm repeating myself--please excuse me. Levenger True Writer nib units are an exact fit for the Diamond 530. I believe they are Schmidt steel nibs, and a medium stub is available from Levenger. Mine handles nicely.

On eBay, I won an auction for a True Writer for less than the price of a replacement nib. Levenger has an outlet store on eBay that sells refurbished returned items.

/Robert

No matter where you go, there you are.

Can you fit any non TWSBI nibs onto a TWSBI? Has anyone tried? Any pictures or Video?

Hello! Not sure if I'm repeating myself--please excuse me. Levenger True Writer nib units are an exact fit for the Diamond 530. I believe they are Schmidt steel nibs, and a medium stub is available from Levenger. Mine handles nicely.

On eBay, I won an auction for a True Writer for less than the price of a replacement nib. Levenger has an outlet store on eBay that sells refurbished returned items.

/Robert

well, I posted it in the TWSBI update thread, but I found that the feed can handle a Hunt 99 dip nib, but it had a giant gap between it and the feed. wrote decently, and the feed kept up decently..

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/CxTPB/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg Member since Sept 7, 2010

TWSBI Diamond 530 - Private Reserve Avocado

Black Kaweco Sport M Nib - Diamine Oxblood

Wing Sung #233 - Noodler's Lexington Gray

I know that speedy is working on making alternate nibs available for the TWSBI. But I was eager to play around with fitting nibs from other sources into the TWSBI. The TWSBI has a 5 mm feed. Since I am a fan of big nibs, all my pens have larger nibs that fit on 6mm feeds (or larger). I do have some M200 and M400 Pelikans, but I am not interested in cannibalizing any of those just yet.

So I did some searching on the web.

I ordered a selection of nibs from a couple of these sources and will try them out in my TWSBI to see how the fit and how they write. My chief concern is mating the nib to the feed - the gap between the nib and feed should be very small and uniform. This means that the shape of the curvature of the feed and nib should match.

Greg

Thanks for the link to the Woodturner's catalog. The broad nib I purchased is quite lovely on the TWSBI. I had hoped to use a Levenger nib I have but I wasn't quite certain how to remove it from the unit.

After success with the M200 Pelikan nib, I tried a 1920s No5 Waterman nib but it was too wide at the base where it should sit in the holder.

It would have been really nice. :)

I'm using Eversharp Doric/Skyline nibs with mine - an XF/XXF and a Broad. Both are working fine. They are 1-2mm longer than the TWSBI nibs. They have no issues is the cap nor adjusting to the feed.

Kind regards,

Eric

I did a sample of the Franklin-Cristoph model 14 $40 nibs that I think watch_art told me about. They are both nice quality nibs that write well in the TWSBI. The med .9mm italic (starts with medium nib) has a lot more variation than the medium stock, and writes very nicely. No scratching. Good flow. The stub 1.1mm (custom ground broad nib) is obviously more distinctive and able to do shading if you want a wider line. It also flows well, but it is on the feed that watch_art showed me how to do a tiny widening of the feed slit with a couple passes with a #11 X-acto blade. These are Schmidt SS nibs with Iridium tip. They have obviously been customized by a nibmeister, and their performance shows the expert work. Nice thing about these FC nibs is they come with the exact same feed as in the TWSBI, so it gives you a spare feed to screw around with. They pull straight out--a bit easier than the TWSBI does.

Showing a medium stock and Waterman wet noodle Red Flex Nib for comparison. (click for larger image)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/pens/TWSBI-Nibs.jpg

Edited by SamCapote

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Liverman, I'm curious if you picked up any of the semiflex from exotic? That would be an interesting nib to have on the TWSBI... Semiflex two tone.... :puddle:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/CxTPB/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg Member since Sept 7, 2010

TWSBI Diamond 530 - Private Reserve Avocado

Black Kaweco Sport M Nib - Diamine Oxblood

Wing Sung #233 - Noodler's Lexington Gray

Greg

The Heritance Nibs from exoticblannks.com arrived today. General comments:

• The folks at exoticblanks are nice. They realized my small, nib-only order could be sent in a paded envelope instead of a box and saved me 2/3 of the postage.
  • These are made by Heritance Nibs
  • They are well made, partially gold plated and have the Heritance Nib "quill-and-inkwell" logo stamped on the nib. Clean, crisp imprint.
  • They are narrower at the shoulders (less flare) than TWSBI nib - less presence than the TWSBI nib
  • This nib is labeled a "steel semi-flex" and is medium width. No other tip size was in stock in the small size to fit the TWSBI. Normally fine is also available.
    http://www.pbase.com/liverman/image/132139635/medium.jpg

The nib fit well on the TWSBI feed, requiring only a little adjustment. It writes smoothly with perhaps a little more tooth and feedback than the TWSBI.

I can detect no appreciable "flex" :( - sorry flex fans. It seems to lay down a line about as wide as the TWSBI medium.

At USD 6.00 each, this is not a bad investment to give me some options on the TWSBI and practice my nib-tuning skills (or lack thereof :) ).

My ranking:
    1) Meister Nibs (based on my experience with a #6 in another pen) - Brian tested his #5 nibs in his TWSBI so I am confident they would work great in my pen, too.
    1) TWSBI
    2) Heritiance Nibs from exoticblanks.com
    3) Daycom nibs from Woodturners Catalog

Tomorrow I'll see if I can find some time to do a better comparison of line widths and put up some more pictures.

Greg

The more I know about computers, the more I like my pens.

Colorado Pen Show

5-7 October 2018

Denver, Colorado

• Brian tested his #5 nibs in his TWSBI so I am confident they would work great in my pen, too.

I sent a email to Brain a couple days ago and he said his #5 nibs would not work in TWSBI. He said he tested in his TWSBI. :(

• Brian tested his #5 nibs in his TWSBI so I am confident they would work great in my pen, too.

I sent a email to Brain a couple days ago and he said his #5 nibs would not work in TWSBI. He said he tested in his TWSBI. :(

Confused now. Did you perhaps ask about the #6? Brian himself posted in this thread that his #5s work and he has one on his own TWSBI.

Edited by Jimmy James

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

Confused now. Did you perhaps ask about the #6? Brian himself posted in this thread that his #5s work and he has one on his own TWSBI.

Here is the email...

Brian Gray para mim

mostrar detalhes 25 jan (4 dias atrás)

Hi Fabricio.

I'm afraid that the #5 calligraphy nibs will not work with the TWSBI.

The feed is too wide for the nib to fit.

Sorry.

THanks.

Brian Gray

Edison Pen Company

Follow Edison On Twitter

Follow Edison On Facebook

- Responder Encaminhar