The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sheaffer Imperial Ii Deluxe

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 The Classicist

The Classicist

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2011 - 19:53

The next of the bunch of pens that I found in my basement. I reviewed it on my blog, but I have a brief handwritten review here.

The link to my blog and the full review is below. Feel free to comment if you wish.

pennedhouse.blogspot.com

Posted Image
I'm a Classics student at Augustana College. You can read my blog at pennedhouse.blogspot.com if you want. There will be plenty about languages, pens (modern and vintage) and paper as well. Hope you stop by and comment!

Sponsored Content

#2 bhbarto

bhbarto

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 20:33

These are actually available NOS from terim (no relation...) I have a medium blue one and the nib is really outstanding, it may actually be the Sheaffer Silver Palladium but it is unmarked. I actually prefer it over the snorkel 14k nibs as it is a bit softer.

Anyway, great somewhat uncommon pen, great find. Congratulations.

Remember, this pen was made in 1960 and has a sac and one or two o-rings (the snorkel has two, not sure about these) that may fail at any time...

Edited by bhbarto, 02 January 2011 - 20:37.

Pen(s) Currently in Rotation:

Sheaffer (Fat) TD Statesman (Fine) - Lamy Blue

Sheaffer Snorkel Desk Pen (Medium) - Cult Pens Deep Dark Brown

Lamy Al-Star (Extra Fine) - Lamy Black

#3 tonybelding

tonybelding

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2011 - 21:54

I've had an eye on those, on eBay, and giving serious consideration. I've had a couple of Sheaffers before with PdAg nibs and they were good -- and I've always had good luck with the tubular (Triumph) style nibs. I like the all-metal slip-on cap too.

Bhbarto is right about the rubber sac and O-ring being old. Would you drive on 30 or 40 year old tires? If you're going to depend on it very much, it could be worth getting those replaced with fresh ones.

Let me know if you have a favorite old economical pen.

I've already posted a review of the Parker Super 21.

I'm thinking of doing one on the Sheaffer Imperial 550, or maybe even getting a 330 and doing a joint review of the 330 and 550 together. I've been using the 550 for about the last week and coming to really appreciate its simplicity and intelligent, efficient design.

All these pens are available as New Old Stock with reasonable prices! It's hard to find new made pens that are as functional.

#4 The Classicist

The Classicist

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2011 - 22:45

The rubber seemed to be in fantastic condition, but I do agree that it would be wise to have a replacement, but is the only way to get one by getting another pen online?

I've also wanted to try a snorkel just because the filling mechanism is so cool and actually the nib is a bit stiff, with zero flex whatsoever... that 14k nib must be extremely stiff!
I'm a Classics student at Augustana College. You can read my blog at pennedhouse.blogspot.com if you want. There will be plenty about languages, pens (modern and vintage) and paper as well. Hope you stop by and comment!

#5 ThirdeYe

ThirdeYe

Snail Mail Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:48

In reply to your last sentence for an old, economical pen, mine is my old Yankee from the 1920s. It was considered a third tier pen at the time and probably wasn't very expensive, but I love it. It has the best nib I've ever used and it looks great, and is very comfortable to write with. The only problem is that part of the cap is missing and the nib/feed dries out, so I've retired the pen. If only I could find another cap for it. :)
Derek's Pens and Pencils
I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

#6 The Classicist

The Classicist

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:34

In reply to your last sentence for an old, economical pen, mine is my old Yankee from the 1920s. It was considered a third tier pen at the time and probably wasn't very expensive, but I love it. It has the best nib I've ever used and it looks great, and is very comfortable to write with. The only problem is that part of the cap is missing and the nib/feed dries out, so I've retired the pen. If only I could find another cap for it. :)

Any pictures?

#7 ThirdeYe

ThirdeYe

Snail Mail Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:06

Any pictures?

Absolutely. :) Here are a few:

Prior to restoration:
Posted Image

After restoration:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Derek's Pens and Pencils
I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

#8 tonybelding

tonybelding

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2011 - 14:27

The rubber seemed to be in fantastic condition, but I do agree that it would be wise to have a replacement, but is the only way to get one by getting another pen online?

New production sacs and O-rings are available, so you can get a pen restorer to change them out, or possibly even do it yourself with a bit of research. Once installed, fresh rubber parts should provide many years of service.

I've also wanted to try a snorkel just because the filling mechanism is so cool and actually the nib is a bit stiff, with zero flex whatsoever... that 14k nib must be extremely stiff!

I've had several Snorkels and they've all been outstanding. All mine had firm-and-smooth nibs, which is what I generally do prefer.

#9 WrenKing

WrenKing

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2011 - 15:44

The next of the bunch of pens that I found in my basement. I reviewed it on my blog, but I have a brief handwritten review here.

The link to my blog and the full review is below. Feel free to comment if you wish.

pennedhouse.blogspot.com

Posted Image

What size nib is the writting example?
Cordially, Christopher

#10 robofkent

robofkent

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2012 - 21:31

My Mother once gave me a black F nib Imperial II which she had given her first husband as a gift in the 1960s. Unfortunately she lost him to cancer but she kept the pen until giving it to me in the 1990s. It was in a pretty rough condition by then but I still treasure the memories of it. In tribute I have purchased two of the NOS Imperial II Deluxes and agree they are brilliant pens for very little outlay and there is little comparable on the modern market.

#11 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2012 - 16:43

vintage sheaffers are very reliable and well made
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#12 Drinky

Drinky

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:03

I got one of these from Peyton Pens(no affiliation) several months ago and have been using it as a daily writer. It is a very sturdy little piece of pen. The nibs turns up more than I expected, so much that I thought the thing had been bent when I first got it. It took some getting used to, but this slight bend changes the angle between the pen and the paper and it's very comfortable for extended writing periods. Mine is burgundy, and I keep it filled with Noodler's Red-Black. This makes it suitable for sketching and note taking, and shows up effectively when I red-line drawings(I am a landscape architect),without being aggressively red. It's so well made and simple, it feels like something the architects of the Craftsman school would have used in their time.

#13 Berelleza

Berelleza

Master of Zero

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2014 - 16:57

Regarding the Terim nibs. They can be acquired from tbat seller, but do they need restoration also? They are NOS so do they need restoration even withput been used? I have been eying them for a long time but think Restoration will add much more to the price, so.... No buying yet until i find the final cost. Any inputs, anyone? I don't have a Sheaffer and would love to use one daily and going out where i would have to write.

#14 Water Ouzel

Water Ouzel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:37

Regarding the Terim nibs. They can be acquired from tbat seller, but do they need restoration also? They are NOS so do they need restoration even withput been used? I have been eying them for a long time but think Restoration will add much more to the price, so.... No buying yet until i find the final cost. Any inputs, anyone? I don't have a Sheaffer and would love to use one daily and going out where i would have to write.

I've got a couple three of them from Teri M. Lovely writers, and as NOS they look as though they just came out of the factory box (they did). They're checked for function, and two of my three have worked from the beginning with no issues at all. The third one sprang a leak in the rubber sac, which was fixed under (Teri's) warranty. The price you see (plus shipping, tax, etc) is what you'll pay through their warranty period.

They're one of my very favorite pens.

#15 Water Ouzel

Water Ouzel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:39

Sorry, hit the button twice... I'll go quietly now.

Edited by Water Ouzel, 23 September 2014 - 03:39.

Sponsored Content

|