Conway Stewart In Administration

AltecGreen

This is certainly bad news as far as I'm concerned; I've always liked the modern Conway Stewart company and its products. I hope they get the financial help they need.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• michaelembley

• Ghost Plane

• Hugh200au

• Mary Burke

Clearly an area in which you have strong views and that of course is your prerogative. The issue of what makes a "brand" a brand is complex and not one i know enough to talk about in detail. I suspect it's all rather subjective in the end. Is Rolls Royce still RR now it's owned by BMW? Mini? The list could be extended of course.

For myself I'm happy that CS was revived after it's demise in '75 and hope that it will not go under this time, i have had a number of dealings with them over the past few years and have found them to be really nice people to deal with.

I can see a number of areas in which they could have improved and perhaps done things differently from a business point of view and i think QC was one of those as well (though they are far from the only pen company i could refer to in this regard). Recent marketing activity seemed more innovative than in the past and i think that could be built upon effectively.

There is much that is good about CS as it is now, not least the people working there.

I hope it can be preserved.

Unless maintained after a period of time the trademark expires and the right to register that trademark/name becomes open to who ever wishes to use it. In the pen world the ones that have revived include CS, Conklin and Mabie Todd . There is nothing wrong, as such, in using an expired TM and it's common place. The benefit is that with what was a creditable TM you gain the prestige of that without the effort, effectively creating an instant history to then trade from, it's simply good business....but the ethical question is more difficult. There is also a negative that it then becomes difficult to establish a unique identity, for instance how many sales of new CSs where lost to vintage CSs? , also most pen buyers would remember CS last offerings in the'70's...not good. While the current CS made a good fist of producing a quality pen the heritage it relied on for credibility was in no way related to this company. A stand alone company making pens on it's own would have had a better chance of creating it's own image and flexibility, but the reality is that a company without an established market making high priced pens was always going to struggle. The RR example is not the same, the company (regardless of who owns it) continues to trade in it's own right as it has since inception and has not been revived, likewise the right to the Mini name would not have lapsed. If you buy the company you buy the history, somewhat different to using an expired TM. As you mentioned I have strong views on the use of trademarks by unrelated businesses as it can gives legitimacy to those that shouldn't or haven't earned it. This having been encountered in my business where I grew a certain style of wool (not widely grown in Aust. at that time but by my family for a considerable period of time) that an opportunist then "named" as a style, trademarked it, then wanted me to pay him to use his logo on our wool.

Regards

Hugh

I can see the brand surviving in one form or another under different ownership. It makes me wonder about the financial health of another British boutique brand, Onoto.

This is truly depressing news. The arguments about the heritage and trademarking don't concern me as I'm not particularly interested in vintage pens. It is the quality and beauty of the British made modern pens that has made this my favourite pen company. My Winston with IB nib is the finest pen I have and I was looking to buy more CS this year.

I am so disappointed for the company and its staff. I just find it so sad. I really do hope that they can hang on in there.

I have only just today become aware of this situation. I am stunned. I only have a couple modern CS pens, but their quality and performance are outstanding. I was thinking about buying another CS sometime soon. I am very interested and concerned to see what happens to CS. :o :(

I have worked for a couple of companies that went into receivership. The quality of the products turned out during the period of doubt went out the window for two reasons: one, management wanted to shift as much as possible in an attempt to buoy up turnover, and two, most of the production/QC staff, not knowing whether they'd have a job the next week, didn't give a damn any more. Much as it pains me to say it, the recent rash of quality complaints may be linked to this. I also found a comment dated September on someone's Facebook page to the effect there were rumours of redundancies at Conway Stewart, which would reinforce this.

If I were an afficionado of current CS pens I would not buy any of the current production. Better wait and see who acquires it: Vuitton or some other luxury brand that hasn't yet got a pen division might care to pick them up. They could make a range of handbag pens...

When you're good at it, it's really miserable.

Nonetheless a whole slew of companies do so quite well, in the watch world i can think of many that are resurrected "brands". "Swiss made" watches are often not quite what one might believe from that designation at all, at least CS are more honest in that regard.

rebuilding heritage is certainly tough no doubt about it but it is quite possible.

CS has never been honest about their history. If you head over to their website right now, you will immediately be hit with slogans like "since 1905" and "over 100 years of quality luxury pen craftmanship". Somehow the fact that they began sales in 1998 never quite comes up. Their marketing has always been tied to the history of a company with which they share no tangible connection.

All that said, I doubt very much that has anything to do with their current problems. They are a small company producing only extremely high priced luxury goods in what has been a very deep and extended global recession. The fact that they have survived this long, and hopefully will continue to do so, speaks to the quality of their product and strength of their following.

Even though I don't particularly approve of their use of the brand, I wouldn't like to see them fold.

Tis a pity. This is my holy grail pen and I had planned to get my first modern CS this year. Maybe that will be from the FPN board rather than the company direct. Good luck to them - hope they can pull through.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I've been wanting a Conway Stewart pen myself. I just haven't moved it up in the wishlist. I suppose I ought to think of it now, though funding is still a bit fuzzy.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

This is sad, bad news. I own three modern CS pens and five vintage. I care passionately about the survival and prosperity of British businesses and this is the last sort of news I want to hear.

I had been thinking of ordering another pen from them this year. I assume Mary Burke will let us know the situation regarding current and near future orders when she can. This must be a pretty horrid time for her.

My thoughts are with all the employees of this lovely company.

Simon

Not trying to be a pain-in-the-you-know-where :P ... I'm great fan of CS myself, both modern and vintage, with my most recent ones being the Coronet Khione and the Nelson Nebula 2010 LEs, plus a Collector's Club Wordsworth Blue Ripple in process :wub: .... but should we expect a CS "fire sale" anytime soon? :bunny01:

Shahrin B)

Like many others, sad to read the news...however, it's possible that they'll work something out...hopefully....

Wonderful, very classic pens....have 2 Churchills now, use one of them almost daily, great pens to write with and look at!

Had a 100 too which was a great pen too....

Will think positive for CS....

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Pleased to see that the vast majority of the posts here are sympathetic and hopeful...

There is much of great value here that can be saved i sincerely hope.

The pens are beautiful which is key.

If the product is good, which i believe firmly it is, then the rest is a case of marketing and management.

Times are indeed tough but i don't think selling to a conglomerate is the best way to go...or moving production to China....though sales in China might be a good thing!

.... but should we expect a CS "fire sale" anytime soon? :bunny01:

Shahrin B)

It'll all depend on how the administrators look to solve the debt and return to debtors ( who they are remains unclear but think banks, suppliers , tax office, staff etc.). Given the high profile ( in the pen world anyway) the logical course would be to sell as a going concern, I assume the company will not be able to trade out of the current situation but that may be possible with the backing from it's creditors. A "fire" sale at present would only lower the potential sale price of the company so will only eventuate if all avenues to salvage the company fail.

Regards

Hugh

Edited by Hugh200au

.... but should we expect a CS "fire sale" anytime soon? :bunny01:

Shahrin B)

It'll all depend on how the administrators look to solve the debt and return to debtors ( who they are remains unclear but think banks, suppliers , tax office, staff etc.). Given the high profile ( in the pen world anyway) the logical course would be to sell as a going concern, I assume the company will not be able to trade out of the current situation but that may be possible with the backing from it's creditors. A "fire" sale at present would only lower the potential sale price of the company so will only eventuate if all avenues to salvage the company fail.

Regards

Hugh

Point well made Hugh as ever...

I have been wondering about this myself...The company itself does have a high profile but isn't available in some key markets or marketed too much outside of the UK/USA at least as far as i can tell. I would of course very much like to stand corrected on this one.

The press coverage does seem to have been good over the years but again limited. Luxury goods are not in decline overall world wide but the traditional markets are. I note in other posts on this forum that Swisher pens aren't doing great and are closing the store to work on Internet sales only. They also have a very good (deservedly) reputation so again i doubt it's product issues.

I am a fan of small to medium size artisan type companies and believe the like of Mont Blanc (takes cover!) have changed too far for me...On the other hand they have survived very well and that is a lesson to take. CS are not available at terminal 5, not available in China, not available in Hong Kong even. I would suggest that it has not been QC issues (CS is no worse, if no better i'm sorry to say, than many others) that have been the route. Nor poor marketting, i've been impressed of late with what has been coming from them. Products have been generally very good, though perhaps a little repetitive of late. Availability and exposure outside of the UK though is an issue.

Even within the UK when most folks outside of London (Harrods had a nice range of CS last time i was there) go to buy a "nice" pen as a gift it will be Parker at the lower/mid range and then Mont Blanc higher up. It's what people know about.

Edited by michaelembley

Interim, I'll keep buying when I have the money. Love their BB and IB nibs and now have 6 of their pens. I'm partial to the lever fill Churchills and the big silver models like the Britannia, Drake, etc. The quality is definitely there :thumbup:

During September and October 2010, Conway Stewart completed an exciting restructuring process that has enabled us to move forward with positive momentum into the future. With an improved development and manufacturing process now in place, and a team of dedicated professionals working in our Devon UK factory, we look forward to being able to meet our customers needs for the highest quality British fine writing instruments.

We have been working on new designs to be launched for the first quarter 2011. Several new Limited and Special Editions are planned for release, including new sterling silver and enamel designs in keeping with our traditional British theme. In addition, we are also scheduling the launches of new models and lines designed to broaden our base and introduce new customers to the experience of writing with a fine British made writing instruments in the classic Conway Stewart tradition.

This restructuring process was purely internal and does not affect are continued after sales and customer service for all of your Conway Stewart pens.

We thank you for your continued support with our brand and we look forward to working with you for a successful and healthy future.

Sincerely,

Mary Burke

Director of Marketing & Development

Conway Stewart Manufacturing (UK) Limited Email: maryburke@conwaystewart.co.uk

Tel: 1.425.432.0816 Fax: 1.425.413.9289 Cell: 1.425.753.1152

26828 Maple Valley Hwy, Suite #183, Maple Valley, WA 98038-8379 USA

Edited by Mary Burke

Mary, firstly thank you for issuing this statement which I'm sure will put many minds, not least mine, at rest. Sorry if I seem to be splitting hairs but in the aforementioned statement you refer to 'continued after sales and customer service for all of your Conway Stewart pens'. Can we take it then that all current listed models may be ordered as of now? Sorry if I'm being thick here!