Lamy School Pen

ednerdtheonly

I found a classmate who immigrated here from Germany a few years ago. She says that the use of fountain pens is mandatory up till high school, and that she had been issued, from the school, a Lamy fountain pen. She had me running around in circles until I found it on their www.lamy.de website. Here's a picture of it http://www.lamy.de/_images/schule/010_rot_gross.jpg. It's a piston filler school pen. Has anyone seen this before?

ednerd

"I had not the time to write a short one."

-Blaise Pascal

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dillo

• KCat

• wimg

• zxc

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ed,

I see stacks of them whenever I visit a pen shop. They are considered learner pens for young kids over here. The knob at the end is supposed to teach them hold it properly.

Of course, all kids get taught to write cursive with fountain pens at primary school. You have a vast array of choices for school pens as a result in this country, and Lamy certainly is one of the popular brands, together with Pelikan and Waterman.

Pricewise I think they go for about 12 or 14 euros, if I am not mistaken.

Kind regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• 3 months later...

Hi,

That is a Lamy ABC.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Wow, looks like a very neat (not to mention cute) pen. And for the price I'll keep my eyes out to get hold of one :lol:

according the Lamy website, it's a cartridge/converter pen. Uses the standard Lamy piston converter. but is not an integrated piston filler.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Anyone know a non .de site which retails them? I'm a real fan of the square sort of nib on the LAMY and fancy trying to get this into my collection :D .

Hi zxc,

I have never really seen them on any fp internet site.

However, I could get you one if you like, at cost. They are about 12 euros, so 8 GBP, excl. shipping. Probably about 3 or 4 GBP for shipping. Likely to be the same for 2 pens, too... :D

Just let me know, I'll gladly help out...

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I was talking with a lady who is originally from Hamburg in Germany today, and she says that she used fountain pens all-through high school. She is around 24 years old now and attends the University of Michigan. We got into a discussion about fountain pens, and how common they are back home.

She attended a private school, but the use of fountain pens was mandatory even through her high school years. She likes to use Lamay, and has been a steady user ever since she received her first school pen as a young kid. In fact, she pulled a brand new Black Studio pen out with a medium nib that she carrys in her purse that was a gift from her father. Moreover, she was amazed at the fact that most Americans she comes in contact with, have NEVER even seen a fountain pen in their lifetime.

This is the first fountain pen user that I have ran across in many years. In addition, she says that her future husband to be, is a big fan of Pelikan and carrys an M800 with him all the time. His uncle gave him the pen before he retired from the company.

I wonder why fountain pen use is mandatory in primary schools in large parts of Europe, but not in the USA? I really think we are missing out on something here. :unsure:

Edited by Mannenhitsu

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

Hi KCat,

according the Lamy website, it's a cartridge/converter pen.  Uses the standard Lamy piston converter.  but is not an integrated piston filler.

Now, which one of the three is the standard Lamy piston converter? :lol:

Ah well, I know it uses the same one as the Safari, Joy and Al-Star, since this afternoon :D.

Also, they have slightly changed the model for the coming (school) year, to have a less slippery section. And they come in blue and red, with 4 different nibs, although the standard is an M.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Now, which one of the three is the standard Lamy piston converter? :lol:

sorry - since the Safari and Al-star are the only Lamy's I've ever used or been interested in, they have the "standard" converter. :)

KCat

Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Hi KCat,

sorry - since the Safari and Al-star are the only Lamy's  I've ever used or been interested in, they have the "standard" converter. :)
So, a standard is only a standard when it is your standard? :P :lol: :lol:

But seriously, considering Lamy normally thinks things through very thoroughly (hey, alliteration :D), I really wonder how they managed to slip up on the converters, and end up having 3 concurrently that are similar, but not the same, and not interchangeable... :bonk:

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Hi,

Just a note. The Lamy ABC is not visible in the English version of the site, it is only visible in the German version. Lamy Writing Instruments

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Hi,

As for the convertor, it uses a Lamy Z24.

Dillon

Dillon

So, a standard is only a standard when it is your standard? :P :lol: :lol:

now you've got it, Wim! :)

Anyone can mess up design and planning. Sheaffer made the Reaktor after all. :P

KCat

Hi,

It is a nice pen. Maybe I should build a collection of school fountain pens. :)

Dillon

Dillon

This is the cutest thing. I love that little knob at the end! Maybe I should pick one up sometime and squirrel it away for a first fountain pen gift for my son (hey, I know he's nowhere near writing age yet, but I'm just thinking ahead! :lol: )

Vanessa