#41 WilliamLEJA

WilliamLEJA

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:04

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas & happy holidays in general.

A big hand to our mods for keeping this a nice community.

That said; I am worried about what will come of the marketplace. I will echo a the concern of talkinghead reference the whole "communicate to the masses" issue when an item sells. Glad to hear the mods are aware of that potential snag. I am also concerned if a seller chooses to offer a price reduction or something to sweeten a sale post how will that be conveyed? A 24 hour edit rule would certainly make price reductions difficult. Heck; when the prices start falling I start buying.

All that said I do understand that mods are humans too and have lives outside of cyber space and deserve some free time.

Take care everyone,

William

#42 Gerry

Gerry

Lake Louise

• FPN Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,147 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2010 - 20:25

William, you've had a 24 hour limit on post editiing for quite a while now (in Internet terms, almost forever... LOL).

WRT the Marketplace, the post OP is free to add another post advertising the new price or that it is sold, as he has been able to do since the edit restriction was put in place (over a year ago IIRC).

People have always wanted us to make it easier to edit - which also removes any trace of the original asking price BTW, but our restriction on editing has a it's beginnings in another act, by a previous member in deleting all of his posts over a period of time. This left holes in threads, and left others in tatters. In order to prevent that sort of vandalism, editing has been turned off for the whole site in a consistent manner. Twenty four hours to clean up typos etc. then it's part of the record.

Hope that clears up the history of that particular restriction.

Regards,

Gerry

#43 Russ

Russ

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 21:15

I noticed an increase of sale posts on Pentrance after FPN's temporary closure of its For Sale forum. I used to peruse the FS forum daily (alright, quite often daily!) and missed it at first. However, I am beginning to wonder if shifting sales to Pentrace might be in the best long-term interest of FPN. Our mods and admins are bright, courteous, and incredibly dedicated. Were we to lose them through burnout, the atmosphere and quality of FPN would, I think, decline to our collective disappointment. I believe that listening to our mods and admins request a workload reduction by at least limiting sales is in the forum's best interest. As usual, the devil is in the details of limitation.

Just my $.02.

#44 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• 6,798 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2010 - 00:43

If you are going to cut off old items at 30 days, presumably you will be deleting older stuff and saving server storage space, reducing maintenance workload of that and saving money. Most organizations have a limit on historical data available online. Maintaining that old data does impose a significant work load.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

#45 Pen Nut

Pen Nut

"You open one safe door and another one closes"

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• 5,782 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:03

isnt Tuesday the 28th ?? :mellow:

Money may not make you happy but I would rather cry in a Rolls-Royce

" I spend 95% of my income on pens..........the rest I just waste "  ( Mr. P. Nut )

#46 wimg

wimg

Stip Etruria nut :)

• FPN Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,906 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:27

isnt Tuesday the 28th ?? :mellow:

Yes, we'll fix the typo :D.

Warm regards, WIm

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#47 wimg

wimg

Stip Etruria nut :)

• FPN Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,906 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:32

If you are going to cut off old items at 30 days, presumably you will be deleting older stuff and saving server storage space, reducing maintenance workload of that and saving money. Most organizations have a limit on historical data available online. Maintaining that old data does impose a significant work load.

Hi Paul,

The real workload is in moderating the board, not so much historical data maintenance - actually, the latter requires very little in workload, other than back-ups. The 30 day cut-off for older posts in the market place forums is really meant to prevent revival of topics by newbies, and of random posts by spammers.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#48 Fuddlestack

Fuddlestack

I enjoy defeating inanimate objects

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2010 - 14:30

Thanks for all your work, all you mods and rockers administrators. Have a good New Year break and a prosperous 2011.

Oh, give me a chisel! Oh, give me a saw!

To cut off the leg of my mother-in-law.

Bishop William Stubbs, 19th-century Oxford don, while giving a lecture on a totally unrelated subject.

#49 Professor Zlatko

Professor Zlatko

Pelikanman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2010 - 18:30

Hello people, and course happy holidays to everyone... Does anybody know witch model of fountain pen is this???

[img]http://http://www.limundo.com/kupovina/Kolekcionarstvo/Ostalo/naliv-pera/1958376[/img]

best regards

[Sponsored Content]