Daily Rounds

kathleen

Don't sonicate the whole pen.

Just from the nib to just past the threads. (Either hold it or fashion a cardboard holder to hold the pen in position.)

You should avoid soaking the J-bar.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kathleen

• OcalaFlGuy

• Gobblecup

• pen2paper

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

About getting the nib out of the section.

If you have an ultrasonic cleaner (USC), use it.

I had several where dry ink had cemented the nib assembly into the section.

After a cycle or 2 or 3 in the USC, the ink had been ejected from between the nib assembly and the section, and the nib was easily unscrewed.

Yes, I should have mentioned how far to submerge the pen.

Dip the pen in no further than the end of the section, the middle of the grip is probably adequate.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Just admitted and receiving treatment a 444 base and desk pen.

The seller had the 444 base with a lever filled sac desk pen rather than a dipless pen. That was a nice score, since the desk pen costs more than a dipless pen. Although now I have to look for another dipless pen.

The inside of the cover of the 444 seems like it is coated with old non-fountain pen ink. I've been scrubbing it off for quite a while. Now I'm drying it to see if I got it all off.

I had to remove the collector and empty out the rods. The green ink in there was not cleaning in place very well, and I was using an ultrasonic cleaner. I opened it up and rinsed it, and green ink started coming out. You really have to open the collector to get all the old ink out of there. It takes way too long if you try to clean the rods in-place, and it many never really get clean.

Now I need to figure out how to polish the top of the 444. It is nice when wet, but looks flat when it drys.

Cleaning the pen will have to wait till tomorrow.

www.SFPenShow.com

Just admitted 2 LJs.

I need to schedule the section pulling with the desk pen, since all 3 will need the heat gun.

www.SFPenShow.com

A 407 inkwell was just admitted and processed.

While not new, it only had a little ink to clean up and it was released.

www.SFPenShow.com

Well the heat gun came out, and 2 of 3 pens had their sections pulled.

#2 was a problem, the thick desk pen body needed a lot of heat to penetrate the thick body. But then once it got enough heat...pop, the section just came out with a little pull.

#3 did not budge, it will need to be referred to a more experienced Dr.

Next sac installation.

Update, 4 sacs were installed tonight.

- 2 of the the sections were installed into the body and the pens checked out of the hospital. :)

- 1 needs heat to install the section

- 1 needs a new J-bar

Edited by ac12

www.SFPenShow.com

• 4 months later...

This one should be here any day now. Even has a 2314 Stub.

RootBeer42314a.JPG

RootBeer42314b.JPG

RootBeer42314c.JPG

RootBeer42314d.JPG

Obviously this one will look A LOT better when I finish with it.

Someone is going to LOVE this one, I already have enough Root Beer for me. ;)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Ewww! The SCUNGE! :o

I don't know what else to call it, I've never really had to Go At a pen cleaning it before I start polishing. I had to with this one.

Took the Naphtha to it. There's still some scunge on the cap but that will polish off whatever the heck it is.

A nicer Streaker Root Beer is underneath. Just enough Copperish (lighter) part to grab your attention from the Brown.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Any suggestions for cleaning and polishing Esties?

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

While waiting for the barrel to return from getting a lever reset at Mr. Hobiwans, I went ahead and polished the cap.

Wow.

The Before and After pics here are going to be pretty dramatic.

Someone is going to get a Very Nice Root Beer.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Any suggestions for cleaning and polishing Esties?

Dawn dish detergent and water.

Naphtha for The Scunge.

I have my own (written out) hand polish regimine.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

While waiting for the barrel to return from getting a lever reset at Mr. Hobiwans, I went ahead and polished the cap.

Wow.

The Before and After pics here are going to be pretty dramatic.

Someone is going to get a Very Nice Root Beer.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

You sure do make those Root Beers pretty. I recall another one that left your clinic/spa, a real beauty. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

Ok, here are the before Root Beer cap pics. I'll TRY to match up the same quadrants on the Before and After pics.

RootBeer42314d.JPGRootBeer42314b-001.JPG

RootBeer42314c-001.JPG

And now, the After pics. Please excuse the dust and especially the glare on the middle shot. I'll do better on the whole pen pics when the barrel

gets back from it's surgery.

IMG_20140509_161221.jpg

IMG_20140509_161307%2520%25281%2529.jpg

IMG_20140509_161357.jpg

Here are a couple of a Blue Streaker J that will get inked tonight for it test writing before it heads to a good friend in St. Louis. Note the indigo

"aftertone", that's an especially nice frosting on the cake. This has a NOS 2668 in it.

IMG_20140509_160746.jpg

IMG_20140509_160947.jpg

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

:notworthy1: The Master "uber-polisher" strikes again! Great job Bruce ... on both pens ... can't wait to see the RB when it is all together and finished. Thanks for posting this.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope it's OK for a new Esterbrook intern to post some pictures of their patients. These really just needed cleaning and new sacs. There was nothing special about it. Some were more difficult than others to separate the section from the barrel. I have one red SJ that's still being very stubborn, and another two soaking. I haven't done any real polishing on them yet as they look quite good already. Perhaps the furniture will get some polishing. Anyway I'm going to ink some up and see how they write. There's one stub nib in the bunch but most are just basic nibs, which is fine with me.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1401203414__img_2171.jpg

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1401203455__img_2172.jpg

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1401203498__img_2174.jpg

I think the thread is just fine for Estie Dr's in residency. ;)

You have a nice accumullection going on there. No busted jewels yet?

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

No busted jewels. I looked veery closely at the ebay pictures.

My biggest issue after filling a few seems to better clean the feeds. I have a small ultrasonic coming and the welding tip cleaners for that. I also have the brass shims for cleaning between the tines. Then I'll have to learn a bit of nib adjustment. Since most of the nibs are 1xxx/2xxx with their folded tips, so those are worn to whatever way that person wrote. Some are a bit scratchy, or write too dry, or too wet, or a combo depending on the angle of how you hold the pen.

If you've gotten that many Estie's off Fleabay (or nearly that many) without a busted jewel or a loose clip, you are doing it the Right Way. :thumbup:

Most 1xxx, 2xxx nibs I see in Fleabay pics, unless they look really decent, I assume they'll be toss aways. I am lucky if 50% of the rolled over tipped nibs from the wild write well for me. I have slightly better luck of course with the 9xxx series nibs.

A couple years ago I scored some deals on NOS nibs so I don't really let the nib factor much into my bid unless it's something unusual.

[EDIT] Feed channels. Steel guitar strings. Even though they are cheap, call a local music store and have them call you the next time they restring a guitar, then go get for free from them the 2 sizes that will fit in the rear feed slot opening. As in Roto-Root that sucker out.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

Well it'll give me a chance to play with the nibs to see if I can make any improvement in them. If I fail and wreck them, it won't be that bad.

Sadly, being in the country means nothing is near by. The nearest big box home improvement store is 45 minutes away. At least that far for a music store. A set of welding tip cleaners (as suggested in one post) set me back all of $6.50 and will be delivered to my door tomorrow.

I'll watch for NOS nibs on the bay. But it looks like the days of NOS nib deals may be past.

Ewww! The SCUNGE! :o

I don't know what else to call it, I've never really had to Go At a pen cleaning it before I start polishing. I had to with this one.

Took the Naphtha to it. There's still some scunge on the cap but that will polish off whatever the heck it is.

A nicer Streaker Root Beer is underneath. Just enough Copperish (lighter) part to grab your attention from the Brown.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Hey Bruce,

I just picked one up that looks like yours. I was caked with white paint on the section & nib. ( Must have ran out of Ink ? )

I took it apart and I will need to get a new J-Bar for it.

Ken