Ranga Custom Ebonite- Acrylic Combo Pen

mpkandan

Dear All FPN'ers,

Good Morning!! This is Kandan.M.P from Ranga Pen Company. A fellow FPN'er Mr.Sagar from India has

asked us to customize a pen of his taste. Everything was decided by him and gave a detailed requirement.

We didn't influence him in the design . I coordinted to my father for his requirements. My father M.S.Pandurangan crafted this pen and has given the final finish and showed to me. I really liked this pen very much though i have grown up with the pens from my child hood. .

I'm very happy to deliver this to my customer and little sad that it is going out of our hands.

Please see the pictures. It is a combo indeed. The top of the cap is Sea blue with mixed black acrylic, the cap is clear acrylic,

The section is raw (fiber finish) black ebonite, the barrel is again Sea blue with mixed black acrylic

and the end of the barrel is again (fiber finish) black ebonite. The length of the pen is 5.75 inches and

the thickess is 12.5mm. The nib is stainless steel fine tipped nib and the feed is ebonite.

The nib is little large to this pen but proceeded with my customer wish. It is eyedropper pen.

It was attractive to me . The pictures doesn't justify the shining of acrylic. Pardon me. Please suggest and share your comments and feedback. Thanks for looking.

Thanks,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sagar_C

• mpkandan

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I must congratulate the makers such a nice pen. Just be ready with a bit of silicon grease because this is an eye-dropper-filler pen, and one can enjoy this a beautiful piece of handicraft.

I am using this pen right now. I here write down my unbiased opinion about the pen in short.

Nib: Steel (golden colour). Writes fine, feels little scratchy but is reasonably smooth and if used on a compatible paper the hint of scratchiness can be avoided. Right now I am using a fancy combination of J. Herbin Ambre de Birmanie 4 parts+1 part PR grey flannel+3part Pelikan Edelstein Adventurine: a nice bright green with a subdued goldish aura. With this ink, the nib is just in between wet and dry; may a little towards wet. Writes as soon as paper is touched --- a feature even some of my costly buys (carene, sonnet) do not have!

Cap: Like it or hate it. It seems a little bigger: the nib touching the inner top of the cap could have looked nicer but then that would have been that. The clear acrylic part is not very glossy; picks up little scratches. I like the clip --- hard, stiff and shiny. The clip ring adds a lovely look to the cap. Cap flush-fits the barrel. And yes, blue-back acrylic top is really shiny and decorates my shirt pocket.

Section: Bakul™ finish makes it nice to hold. Feels good. Probably ebonite is little heavier than acrylic used in the pen. Its weight is nicely balanced by the ebonite part at the back of the barrel. Section threads are secure.

Barrel: Subdued shiny and translucent to some degree: one can "see" the ink against light.

Overall: The pen is well balanced (may be a little heavier torwards the rear but to a tolerable limit) and like all my other pens, I use it without posting. The pen looks good and writes nicely.

I would rate it 7/10: after all, it is custom-made and handmade. I would recommend any interested pen-lover to try this maker's pens. They won't drain your pocket and yet you end up getting a nice pen which is quite collectible IMHO. I am a happy customer. :vbg:

Edited by Sagar_C