Why I love cross

Waterman

I have a slew of Cross ballpoint and pencils, and I used a Cross Century pen and pencil set when I started work after college. I use ballpoints much less frequently now, but I think the Cross Century is a model which has become a classic. I've never had a lick of trouble with any of them.

I carry two pens with me in a Libelle slip case...one is the FP of the day (currently switching between a Lamy 2000 and a Parker 51), with the other slot is permanently reserved for a Tech 3. It is a versatile pen/pencil, and not nearly as heavy as my Rotring.

However, my favorite Cross is my Townsend BP in lapis lazuli...I picked it up at a closeout for a pittance, and it really is beautiful.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lovemy51

• riskmaker007

• RLTodd

• konis

When I started accumulating fps instead of just keeping one or two cheapies around to write with, the second pen I bought was a Cross Radiance for about forty dollars. It's still permanently inked and will write on paper that my other, more expensive pens can't handle. I have several Cross fps now, including a lapis lazuli Townsend, but there's a big soft spot in my heart for that Radiance, and there always will be. :bunny1: :bunny1:

• 1 month later...

I like Cross pens in general. The look stylish and have a variety of models from which anyone might find something they like.

I have recently acquired a "Century II Fountain Pen" (fine nib) for every day use.

• 2 weeks later...

I have three cross ball points - one quite old.

A gun metal finish Rollerball - writes like a dream once they changed the refills to a gel rollerball.

Atx black finish - picked it up from a guy in the Air Force stationed in Hawaii.

Cross Cheapy - the nib amazingly good - I should have made note of the name but it has ATX styling - but the pen is plastic. I can also post the cap and it's not too heavy.

Very impressed with the nibs - I think, that I'll buy more. I get too disappointed with 14K and 18K nibs from other brands. Townsend will be my next purchase.

Another thing I like - they still sell in Staples and Office Depot stores in some larger cities in Canada.

Bill

Amusing story: after graduating from college, I wanted to travel for a while before setting into my career. So I rode the trusty motorcycle all over America, from coast to coast, and wintered in San Francisco, which has a perfect climate for wintering if you are on a motorcycle IMO. Not having a trust fund to live on, I had to find work from time to time during this entire period. In San Fran, I worked as a bicycle messenger. One day, while making a delivery, I handed the gold Cross Century pen I'd been given as a graduation present to the man to sign for the package. He looked at the pen, looked at me, and said "Oho, someone's incognito!" Cracked me up.

I like my Century FP and use it regularly. It is one of my oldest FPs. At present it is loaded with Noodler's Blue-Black, but carried black Quink for a long time. It is well-balanced and has a nice nib.

• 1 month later...

Now that almost all (perhaps all ?) Cross pens are made in China, do most of you still view the brand in the same way?

Now that almost all (perhaps all ?) Cross pens are made in China, do most of you still view the brand in the same way?

Actually, a lot of Cross's production is still done in the USA. They still do more than anybody else I believe, that's part of why I'm looking for a Cross pen for my next purchase.

See refillczar's posts in this thread. He explains what's still done in the USA.

• 1 month later...
Cross Cheapy - the nib amazingly good - I should have made note of the name but it has ATX styling - but the pen is plastic. I can also post the cap and it's not too heavy.
That may be the same Cross fountain pen that I have two of. I saw two for sale for a very low price at a shop after I had lost and replaced my Waterman Phileas. I decided that I'd like a FP that I wouldn't mind losing to leave at work in my work cup in case I didn't wear a shirt witha breast pocket to work. I bought two of them, one blue, one red. Gold colored nib says "M", but the line is much finer writing than my "M" Waterman or Montblanc. They write really smooth, rarely skip. I need to get a photo out. I live the little hole in the nib. I've been VERY happy with the inexpensive Cross fountain pens. Edited by PhilBiker

I just purchased my first Cross FP and have had it for about a week now. Went with the Apogee in black & chrome with a medium nib. I thought about the Townsend, and that may be the next Cross, although the Apogee in titan red looks good. Next one will probably be a fine nib though.

Very smooth nib, very wet. Occasionally a skip at the start of a word, but that may be me. Nice heft. Heck, I even like their blue-black ink that came in the accompanying cartridges.

Had Cross BPs from my father, but they are too thin for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Have no Cross fountain pens at all - mostly Parker & Sheaffer - anybody got a recommendation for a starter?

I am the Crossman on ebay and I have been selling for 3 years now.

What do you like writing with ballpoint or Rollerball.

Then I can recommend a good choice!

Ebay screen Name is larryc3413

I have three cross ball points - one quite old.

A gun metal finish Rollerball - writes like a dream once they changed the refills to a gel rollerball.

Atx black finish - picked it up from a guy in the Air Force stationed in Hawaii.

Very impressed with the nibs - I think, that I'll buy more. I get too disappointed with 14K and 18K nibs from other brands. Townsend will be my next purchase.

Another thing I like - they still sell in Staples and Office Depot stores in some larger cities in Canada.

Bill

I am the Crossman on ebay and I have been selling for 3 years now.

What do you like writing with ballpoint or Rollerball or Fountain.

Then I can recommend a good choice!

Ebay screen Name is larryc3413

• 2 weeks later...
Have no Cross fountain pens at all - mostly Parker & Sheaffer - anybody got a recommendation for a starter?

I have a Cross Century II Medalist, medium-nib - a $50.00 deal (with free shipping) on Amazon. :rolleyes:

I love it.. :thumbup:

(Oh, and a lot of people may not like the "heavy-duty" line that the Century II medium lays down - particularly with black ink.

However, I like heavy black lines. Even before I used an FP, I tended to gravitate toward heavy-lined rollerballs - I like my paper to stand out in a stack at school.)

Edited by fenrisfox

I'd say, let the celluloid experts do their thing, and Cross should concentrate on unique & innovative metal finishes! If you haven't seen the Merlot Verve finish, it's just incredible.

I agree - that's what attracted me to my Cross pen - the beautiful metal construction and finish. :rolleyes: You should see it out in the sun...

One of these days, I may pick up the high-end version of its family - with a solid-gold nib and rolled-gold finish. :roflmho:

• 5 weeks later...
That may be the same Cross fountain pen that I have two of. I saw two for sale for a very low price at a shop after I had lost and replaced my Waterman Phileas. I decided that I'd like a FP that I wouldn't mind losing to leave at work in my work cup in case I didn't wear a shirt witha breast pocket to work. I bought two of them, one blue, one red. Gold colored nib says "M", but the line is much finer writing than my "M" Waterman or Montblanc. They write really smooth, rarely skip. I need to get a photo out. I live the little hole in the nib. I've been VERY happy with the inexpensive Cross fountain pens.

I think you guys are talking about the Radiance. They quit making it when they introduced the ATX.

t

• 2 weeks later...

I have examples of just about every Cross pen out there, I think:

Apogee

Verve

Townsend

Century

Century II

Solo

Radience

ATX

Never got a Pinnacle, and kick myself for never getting hold of a Metropolitan.

Cross pens usually get dismissed because of the familiarity, the simplicity of the styling (on most models, anyway), but these are without a doubt some of the most used, and most appreciated pens in my collection. Always reliable, solidly made. My only quibble is that the nibs tend to run a touch wide, but even that isn't too much of a drawback.

One aspect of Cross that I also appreciate is the Select Tip models, which allow one to use Cross' (in my experience) excellent fiber tip refill instead of the usual ball point.

And the ball points themselves are hard to beat -- every so often I think about getting one of those pocket Autopoint pens -- which I think are pretty classy looking.

jdw

• 5 years later...

One pen I WISH Cross had made (is it proper to use the past tense yet? or do we have to wait until the sale is completed later this year?) as a FP is the Maquerade. I may get it as a BP/RB (whichever it is) anyway, just b/c it is SUCH a nice pen.

Last year I sent a Cross bp back to the company for repairs. The pen dated from the 1970's; the mechanism was frozen, the pocket clip was broken, and the pen looked like it had seen better days after languishing in a box for the last decade or so. I mentioned to the Cross rep that the broken pocket clip was my fault and that I realized it was not a warranty item, but I would like the pen restored to working order. The pen was returned to me in perfect working order with a new clip and a nicely polished finish (rolled gold). How many companies stand by their products to the extent that a 40 year old product can be returned and restored for a $10 service fee? Add to the amazing customer support all the positive attributes noted in the other posts (classic looks, smooth nibs, reasonable cost, reliability, etc.) and Cross is a standout. vinper