Why I love cross

Waterman

Just because Sheaffer had one, I just thought I'd ask it for Cross too. And every other company on this forum so discuss.

I love cross because they're classics to me.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lovemy51

• riskmaker007

• RLTodd

• konis

I agree.

Also, great customer service, great craftsmanship. One of the statesmen of pen companies. And they use materials I like (metal).

I agree.

Also, great customer service, great craftsmanship. One of the statesmen of pen companies. And they use materials I like (metal).

Over all, I like the Cross pens better than the others I've run across. I agree the craftsmanship, engineering, and service are first rate.

I really do wish they would make a Townsend variant out of Lucite. Mine are just a bit too heavy for extended use.

YMMV

The only Cross pen I have is one of those slim, twist ballpoint pens. However, I have to say that I have not used any other ballpoint pen which feels better than the Cross ballpoint.

It was a sentimental gift from my father, and it was the first valuable pen I ever owned :)

Pros: Fantastic performance, reliability, & durability; excellent warranty backing; good price.

Cons: Product lineup should experiment with resins and other materials. And how about some flex in those nibs?

And how about some flex in those nibs?

That keeps comming up in talk, but I don't think most people really want, or ever wanted flex nibs. Further I am pretty sure the major pen makers have researched the issue and determined that it has no legs for the market. Personally, I know I have never had the muscle and coordination control of my hand to use a flex nib without ruining it within two sentences.

YMMV

I don't mean wet noodle, but semi-flex.

You're aware, no doubt, of the argument that users trained on ballpoints would ruin nibs less stiff than a nail, and that would eat away at profits through warranty claims.

While vintage pens offer very nice semi-flex nibs, I think it would be a real treat to have nibs of the same sensitivity offered in modern versions. As vintage users know, after a while the rock-solid nibs -- no matter how reliable and wet -- become a bit ho-hum in their monodimensional line width and character. Modern pens with some give would be welcome. Note, for example, the deep appreciation of users whose modern pens were made more sensitive by current nibmeisters.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Cross, particularly the Century and Century II models -- because there is something "American Classic" about them. To me, the Century 14K Gold filled ballpoint was THE business pen for a good long time in the U.S. It was understated, elegant, and I always thought that Cross ballpoint refills wrote particularly well.

When I graduated from law school, my then in-laws bought me a Parker ballpoint and pencil set in what I now know was the "Cisele" finish. (When I became a full fledged pen freak only a few years later, that finish, on Parker 75s, became one of my all time favorites.) At the time, Parkers seemed alien to me. I wanted that 14K Gold filled Cross! My in-laws graciously consented to my exchanging the Parkers for a Cross 14K GF pen/pencil set -- which I still have and still use twenty-six years later.

My favorite Cross pen of all time is my 14K solid gold ballpen, bought on eBay. I then sent it to Cross for engraving (which they were happy to do for a small fee). I chose the "deep fill black" color which looks great on a solid gold pen.

I have a Townsend in Tuxedo. It's a nice pen, but the craftsmanship doesn't seem close to the older Centuty and Century IIs I have.

My Townsend in sterling (cap & barrel) has a beautiful fit and finish . I really admire the way all my Cross fps write and how reliable they are.

Function, form, style, classic understatement, etc.

Perhaps that is why I have so many (Townsend, Century, Century II; FP, BP, pencil 0.9 and 0.5mm, Selectip; in silver plate, sterling silver, 10, 12 and 14ct gold etc. etc.)

And they all work perfectly well.

Chris

• 2 months later...

I am very, very pleased with my Century II in sterling silver. It writes beautifully and very comfortably, and has a feel on paper unlike any of my other pens. I agree that Cross might experiment with other designs/materials, but I also like the plain, elegant and American-looking lines of my pen. And that lifetime warranty!

The best Cross I ever owned was a 10k gold filled ballpoint. It was the classic Cross ballpoint design that we all know. My school's bookstore sold them, and I was allowed to buy one upon completion of 8th grade. It was one of the last gifts that my granddaddy gave me.

I was afraid to even use it at first, but soon got over that. I carried it through most of high school and a good chunk of college. In high school, it got a few nitric acid spots on it during chemistry class, but I didn't care much. It just seemed to make the pen a bit more my own, if that makes sense.

It went through a couple of refills, and the genuine Cross BP refills always seemed to be of good quality. The black ink was much darker than most other BP's. Parker refills were the only ones that could come close.

It got away from me sometime in college. I retraced my steps as soon as I noticed it missing, but to no avail. I'm going back to school for a masters this semester, and keep thinking that maybe if I looked in just the right place, or under the right rock that it might re-appear. It's not that it was a rare one-of-a-kind pen or anything. But it was mine and therefore special.

During the Office Depot pen sale, I bought a blue Cross Vapor, but haven't taken it out of the box. It looks good, but I'm kind of disappointed to see the manufacture has been offshored.

Thank you,

-William

I don't have one, but I think the ATX would be great as a starter pen.

I REALLY like the Verve styling, amazing nib, etc., and also the ATX styling. And the fact that they're metal. I have the Merlot and the platinum Verve, the performance is outstanding.

All the other Cross "skinny" styles do absolutely nothing for me. I won't buy them, although I did get a very dark gun-metal finish Townsend as a gift. Now that I've been using the pen, I really like the weight and the finish is nice. I keep using it because it's so reliable.

I'd say, let the celluloid experts do their thing, and Cross should concentrate on unique & innovative metal finishes! If you haven't seen the Merlot Verve finish, it's just incredible. I have not seen one single photo that even comes close to conveying how beautiful the finish is. And I'd love to see more nib designs, like the Verve.

What I don't like about Cross: the proprietary cartridges in zero color choices, and the fact that they don't offer a standard stub or italic nib. I think there'd be more interest for those options than for semi-flex nibs.

Normallly I don't use cartridges... but for air travel these days, cartridges are a great hassle free option. I'd like to get an ATX for travel, but not if I can only use blue or black cartridges -- bah.

Petra

Verve Fan

Any Cross fountain pen would be a good start. I'm not meaning to be 'amusing', simply that they all write very well and the choice would be down to price, styling, weight and balance etc.

The Townsend is a big pen and is my favourite but some might find it too heavy. The various finishes can be stunning.

The slimmer Century are too thin for some people, though others love them. And the modern designs are not for me, though again they have a lot of fans.

So, take your pick and, I hope, enjoy the understated experience of efficient funtion.

Chris

I love the Townsends.

Every time I think I have more than I should I run accross a different finish that I just HAVE to get. So I'm up to nine and counting.

The pen is not for everyone however, it's big and, compared to an acrylic or celluloid pen of similar size, it's heavy. I use my pens all day in the office writing notes in patients charts and my Cross pens in general, Townsends in particular, are among the most reliable and predictable I own. My only complaint with the Townsend design is the fact that the large cap is relativly heavy and will unbalance the pen away from the nib when used posted.

Almost as high on my list are the now discontinued Pinnacles.

Slightly slimmer and lighter than the Townsends they use essentially the same nibs and feeds. The three I own are constantly in my regular rotation and unbalance less than the Townsends when posted.

Edited by jjb_13

"Ink isn't dead...It just smells funny"

I am a recent convert to Cross pens. Until recently when I saw "Cross" I thought about those skinny metal ball points that were so popular in the 60s. I never liked them and assumed I wouldn't like their fountain pens either. But when I saw a black lacquer Townsend on E-Bay at a good price, I decided to try one.

It came with a double broad point. It's great for addressing large envelopes or writing "Happy Birthday" inside a card, but the point is too broad for everyday use. Still, I LOVE the way this pen feels. I doodle with it all the time. It is so well-balanced and I like the way the grip flares out slightly at the base. I like it so much that when I saw another good deal on a Townsend just like this one, but with a medium nib, I took the "buy it now" option. I should have it by the end of the week. I can't wait!! :)

Judybug

So many pens, so little time!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

I've never had a Cross FP, but have had those chrome Century models that so many others did. It is an American classic, though not comfortable for everyone. My only real complaint was that they didn't hold as much ink.

Companies have made a name for themselves on much less than this.

I have to admit a townsend was my first real fountain pen and it still is one of my favs. The styling is classic, the nib- like butter, and the fact that it reminds me of my high school century bp over 20 years ago, strikes a chord with me.

The Danitrio Fellowship