#41 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,781 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2010 - 18:00

Great info. Almost every package I send with USPS gets there in a couple of days. However, I sent a package to Bearcat, in-state a couple of hundred miles away, on 12/15/10, and USPS still doesn't know where it is, so stuff does happen. We were cross-shipping pens, and I got his in 2 days. Well, there is always Murphy. I am glad I insured that package.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

#42 Warriah

Warriah

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 23:44

As an Italian I'm ashamed that the (private) postal service works well under developed countries standards. I have to say that the big problem is the slow ckecking for incoming/outcoming packages from/to countries outside EU vastly due to inefficient fees application.. Other than this problem, shipment is usually affordable..only a bit slower. :(
Posted Image

#43 amb

amb

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 19:50

The mail delivery correction rate in Metro Chicago area is only 91% in 2009, meaning 9 out of 100 mails delivered to the area got lost, mis-delivered, or unable to be delivered.

I'd be curious to know the breakdown of that; lost and mis-delivered mail sounds like a USPS problem, but "unable to be delivered" mail is likely the fault of the sender.

When I was in an apartment building with a lot of turnover (mostly students), there was a huge amount of mail showing up for people no longer in residence, and I wonder how that sort of thing (and incorrect addressing in general) contributes to the statistics. I don't think the post office has ever lost something of mine that was clearly and correctly addressed, though some have suffered strange delays.

Any way you slice it, though, 91% sounds really bad!

#44 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,878 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2011 - 20:01

I get mail to my house all the time addressed to past residents. Each time I write "no longer lives here. return to sender" but I keep getting their mail. Not just junk mail either. The state sends paperwork all the time that some poor people aren't getting. I guess they just don't care if they send things out to the correct address. If so then it takes them YEARS to correct their databases.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#45 Tommy

Tommy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 13:25

Thanks for a very informative post, Bob.  I've started selling some pens abroad, and this info is just what I needed.  It's been a few years since this thread was active.   I'm curious if your list of high risk countries to ship to has changed since then.

Tom

[Sponsored Content]