• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jniforat

• speerbob

• watch_art

• minnman

Not only great advice, but having been on the receiving end of several of Bob's Pilot 78G pens, I was as heartened by the packaging detail as I was in the line variation of the double B stub nib. Safe shipping and a pen that is full of pleasant surprises, which goes to show that the real value is at the business end, where the nib meets the paper, all else is floss.

+1 on Italy having lousy post. My 149 took a week to travel 40 miles (according to the postal tracker) (but it probably sat somewhere waiting to be scanned) and then sat in Milan for almost 3 weeks before it left for the US. Once here it took 2 days to get to me from around the NYC area.

Edited by watch_art

One of the best posts I've read on here in my five or six years hanging about. Nothing beats practical advice from someone speaking from experience. I've bought a half-dozen pens or so over the years from Speerbob from when he was back in Thailand and never had anything but great experiences. I for whatever reason have lots of 1" pvc laying about and have used it to ship quite a few pens over the years and it is unbeatable. Put a kleenex in each end and a strip of scotch tape around it all and it'll survive a nuclear war.

And, regarding the us postal system, I sign ten things a day and put them in the mail and receive that same volume. Never anything lost. In 20 years, I really believe the US post office has only 'lost' two or three pieces of my professional correspondence. The only time I hear about US mail problems within the usa is when I am asking an ebay seller what became of my package.

Great advice as could be expected from one as wise as BOB, I hope this policy is adopted by the forum as being standar practice, I find too often sellers take advantage of buyers by insisting that they ship to the buyer with all of the trimmings at the buyers expense of course, in many cases the cost of the pen does not warant such a procedure, lots of us are quite prepared to wait until the pen arrives we dont want it sent by lear jet. I have had many instances where the seller has insisted on me paying for priority mail and the pen has still taken in excess of two weeks to reach me and I might point out that is during the normal postal year not holiday periods.I have never been overcharged by Bob for shipping to Australia and I have always received the pens I bought from him in good time. Thanks for taking the time to share with the forum your experiences and all the best for 2011 Bob. regards. Bryan Australia

i'm going to try u-pic.com and i'll let everyone know how that works :)

they were VERY helpful over the phone.

Edited by jniforat

maybe singapore is SO low risk that it would be a waste of money to insure.

ha ha that's what i'm hoping :) , but i got insurance just in caseeee

Just bought a pen from you this morning... Didnt realize that you were the same person as on ebay.com!

My userID on ebay is wyredawolf.

Thanks!

Fast, Cheap, Good... you can choose two.

Terrific information-this one gets printed out for reference. It's really interesting to find out the subtle differences in mail classes. Thanks!

you say singapore is low risk, but shipinsurance.com does not cover singapore

Hi, I noticed that too. One issue with Singapore is their Customs is slow and sometimes packages sit very long, but they get there. I'm not sure how shipinsurance picks the countries they insure to because oddly they insure to high risk Russia where I have lost packages but not to Brazil where I ship several packages a week and have never lost one. It might be more than just risk but also their ability to track packages or something. Cheers, BOB

Check out my website at www.Speerbob.com

http://www.speerbob.com/ebay/SpeerbobBannersmall.jpg

Thanks for sharing your experience.

To add my observation, I think you are pretty lucky with USPS. The mail delivery correction rate in Metro Chicago area is only 91% in 2009, meaning 9 out of 100 mails delivered to the area got lost, mis-delivered, or unable to be delivered. The snow situation could have made Chicago particularly difficult. I think by simply purchasing mail delivery confirmation is better than buying extra insurance without delivery confirmation. People's terrible handwriting could have contributed to the problem, too.

Edited by ximhot