Mb 149, Mb Starwalker And Cda Leman

Sidestreaker

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/PC119588.jpg

This will be my first review on my purchases for the past few months with my recent new obsession with fountain pens. I’m have been using disposable roller pens and fluid ink pens and writing in blocks almost all my life. I do occasionally use FP but has never been a fan until recently. I picked up my first MB FP because I can’t seem to find anything else interesting in the FB boutique to spend my coupon on. So, there you go…

I did more research on FP and other manufacturers and almost any enthusiast will surely find their way to this forum. After a few weeks enjoying my Starwalker, I came across a modest Caran D’Arche boutique in a neighborhood mall (just happen to walk pass 5 times within 10 minutes). Fell in love with the Leman series – the Black Ebony and immediately it is on my list. After losing sleep for a few days, I finally returned to the shop to pick up the Leman along with a bottle of carbon black ink. It was all smiles from the sales assistant.

In the following weeks, I was searching for more writing paper and notebooks to go with my lovely pair of FP which I use in rotation. In the same time, after much reading and research, I have decided to include the MB149 in my collection list, so there I was, going into every MB boutique that I came across to hunt down the legendary instrument with the best price. To my dismay, seemed like all the MB boutique in Kuala Lumpur has sold off all the 149 stock in the country (probably I was not the only one with the coupons around). Eventually I found rather low profile timepiece shop that also distributes MB products. And there it was, a MB 149 greeting me like a long lost friend.

After pages of ink dipping, page filling, late nights scribbling and practicing on my penmanship, here’s a story of not one but 3 pens being used almost daily. I know that there have been reviews before on the same pens but I would just like to put them together and share my experience in using them.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/PC119578.jpg

Mont Blanc Starwalker Midnight Black Resin (F nib)

Appearance and Design 7/10

Overall, I like the shape of the pen and the unique swelling cap shape. The floating star is unique and instantly recognizable as a brand and as a range of product. The ruthenium plated clip and ring gives a dark and sleek complexion to the otherwise platinum shiny finish, which I find more appealing, after comparing the two. The ruthenium nib and its minimalistic design has its charm. The shiny resin looks and feels good. Fancy.

Construction and Quality 6/10

The pen feels solid, no sloppy edges and all metal and resin parts are smooth and well made. I do have an identical shell of a fine-liner/rollerball pen and the cap seals better compared to the fountain pen, so there are some minor inconsistency in the quality. The cap screw over the other end and reduces any potential scratch marks. Overall, still a well built pen compared to many other pen/manufacturer I’ve seen so far.

Weight and Dimension 6/10

The pen is rather light and you can’t really feel it in your pocket but good enough for extensive writing. Best used when capped to have the full weight of the pen for balance.

Nib and Performance 7/10

To be completely honest, I have not much of experience in writing with fountain pen, so I am just rating this based on my other 2 pens. My initial experience with this pen take a bit of getting used to like the angle of writing, applying the right pressure and maintaining a consistent composure. I had some problems initially with skips and pauses, but now that I have improved my penmanship, that has been reduced significantly and enjoying it every bit. I write tight and small and the fine nib works well for me, though MB nibs are bolder than most of its competitors, this would generally be a medium nib size.

Filling System & Maintenance. 6/10

The only complaint I have here is the cartridge system without any piston converter. If this is the only pen, I’d imagine, I’ll be changing cartridges very often and will be running out of ink before I run out of ideas to write. So far no leakage and maintains a clean pen, even in flight.

Cost & Value 6/10

I had a coupon for Mont Blanc when I bought this pen so I paind less than half of its retail price and definitely a value for me. But with that price, you are comparing it to some great writing pens out there like Pelikan, Souveran, Duofold or Sailor. With its brand name and the status it carries, it does attract more attention with its unique appearance and design.

Conclusion (6.33)

This is my everyday pen, well almost, and I’m sure to rotate this with some other pen as they come along. It is attractive but not too flashy, unique and interesting in terms of design and most importantly, it writes well enough for me.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/PC119579.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/DOC231110_Page_7.jpg

Caran D’Arche- Leman Ebony Black(M nib)

Appearance and Design 8/10

Simple, classic and elegant. There’s something about the proportion of this instrument that I really like, that other pens can’t achieve in terms of balance of looks and appearance. It is not too flashy with its silver plated and rhodium coated trims and black lacquer finish. The golden and rhodium plated nib is proportionate to the pen and looks really elegant. There’s strength behind its simplicity and form.

Construction and Quality 8/10

The metal barrel with lacquer finish over it does have some weight behind it. The heavier mass gives confidence and a solid feel to it, suggesting that this is made to last. Rhodium coat will maintain its shine for a longer time compared to other metals and lacquer finish is a better option to the standard resin. I’d imagine this pen to maintain its good looks for a longer period of time. Pictures may tell a thousand words but nothing can be said about how it feels in the hands until one handles it. Superbly well built!

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/PC119538.jpg

Weight and Dimension 7/10

Heavier than most pen of the same size, there are more metal parts behind the lacquer and the good weight gives a good feel and encourages me to grip better. I can even write it well not capped on a good day, but having it capped still gives a better grip. Both works for me, often the former to reduce risk of scratching the surface.

Nib and Performance 7.5/10

Smooth, stiff and slightly scratchy with my M nib, but with the right angle and the right paper, it outperforms my MB Starwalker. It skips and pauses a bit in the beginning but has improved so far. You can really feel the surface of the nib on the paper, much like a sport suspension on a sports car, bumpy but fun. I like the writing coming out from it as it has more character. Using Carbon CdA ink now and I just love the tones. I’m rotating it with my

Starwalker. Definitely not boring.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/PC119546.jpg

Filling System & Maintenance. 6/10

Piston converter, have no issues so far and easy to refill. Options to use cartridge is available as well.

Cost & Value 7/10

You know what you are paying for when you pick up this pen and it is in the solid construction quality. Nearing the price of a MB 146, it’s a solid pen makes you want to pick it up again and again. I have previously bought a Caran d’Arche Ecridor Eclat for my wife from the same boutique and the sales person gave me a good discount for the Leman and all the ink cartridges and bottle to go with it. I am already considering of another CdA FP in the future.

Conclusion (7.25)

I’m loving it to bits. It is going to be challenging to find another pen to match up the feel and quality of a Caran d’Arche. I’ve tried other FP in their range like the Ecridor and Varius and all seems to have a character of their own. Its tight, its clean looking, and it’s a Swiss. This is for keeps!

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/PC119571.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/DOC011210.jpg

Meisterstuck 149- (B nib)

Appearance and Design 8/10

What can I say, its not even right for me to put a number there but I will anyway. Classy, elegant and fat. THE pen that every collector must have, sometimes more than one.

Construction and Quality 7/10

Precious resin and gold nib, clip and ring. Well built, if there are invisible cracks here (nature of resin) I can’t see it. The pen is at its showroom quality now and I’m sure it will last long enough to pass to my kid when he/she gets to college.

Weight and Dimension 7/10

Though it is a large pen, my small hands finds it rather comfortable to grip and write with it. With this kind of pen, I go for the B nib to write big. When I pick up this pen, I would want to write BIG. Its weight is rather light, comfortable for extensive writing. I find that writing without the cap is better and already well balanced.

Nib and Performance 8.5/10

Super smooth, writes instantly well from the box and still continuously being impresses by the results. I don’t have to explain more on the quality everyone knows.

Filling System & Maintenance. 7/10

This pen is new in my shelf and I have no issues with it so far. The piston filling systems holds lots of ink and there is no leakage for now and writes perfectly every time. This is my desk pen.

Cost & Value 6/10

Expensive and highly valued, people buy this as a must have and embrace all its imperfection. There’s more than a pen here, it comes with reputation and a soul (as what MB likes to say about their pens). The vendor gave me 20% off discreetly to get me out of the store.

Conclusion (7.25)

A major item in the checklist has just been ticked. To possess the 149 is to carry the burden to write something worthy of it. Seriously…

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/PC119556.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/PC119591.jpg

My link

Life is like Chinatown signage, its cluttering, confusing but everything that you need is there, just have to look harder....

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/lifestyle/logo.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ballboy

• Sidestreaker

• yachtsilverswan

• lewis

... To possess the 149 is to carry the burden to write something worthy of it. Seriously…

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/PC119591.jpg

Well said.

Your handwriting is exceptionally nice with a smooth flow; and you are a talented sketch artist.

Notice how the B nib on the MB 149 gives your handwriting some line width variation - broader vertical strokes and narrower horizontal strokes. That line width variation flows from the ovoid shape of the B and BB MB nibs - the nib tips are horizontal ovoids longer in the horizontal direction than the vertical.

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

@Gojira - Thanks, those sketches are done with a MB fineliner though and the text are from the Starwalker and Leman.

@yachtsilverswan - Thanks again. I just love the variation from the B nib and suddenly have the urge to expand more B or BB nibs collection. I'm still practicing on my penmanship with the 149 to get my strokes right, and learning to take my time in writing and getting my lines straight. Sometimes, I find myself more like 'drawing' the text rather than writing them. Not sure if that is a good thing. I'm working on a large A3 smooth sketch pad to really enjoy the bold nib with illustration in between similar to my A5 notepad entries shown here.

Just the other day I came across a Souveran 1000/800 with a B nib and can't help but thinking how it writes. That's next on my list ^_^

Edited by Sidestreaker

My link

Life is like Chinatown signage, its cluttering, confusing but everything that you need is there, just have to look harder....

@yachtsilverswan - Thanks again. I just love the variation from the B nib and suddenly have the urge to expand more B or BB nibs collection...

Just the other day I came across a Souveran 1000/800 with a B nib and can't help but thinking how it writes. That's next on my list ^_^

If you like line width variation, you should also explore Cursive Italic nibs, ground from your M, B, or BB nibs by a Nibmeister. The Nibmeister regrinds the nib to create an ever more ovoid profile, creating the greatest usable line width variation with thinner horizontal strokes and wider vertical strokes. Here is a writing sample of one of my pens re-ground to a smooth wet Cursive Italic by Nibmeister Richard Binder:

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr131/yachtsilverswan/MB75thAnniLE149004.jpg

Regarding the Pelikan M-1000 and M-800, the M-1000 nib is much springier and much more lively than the M-800 - try the M-1000 first.

Have fun.

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

Your review tipped the scales--I've got my sights set on a 149.

Fantastic review.

Enough of this chocolaty goodness, we've got work to do.

Having bought a 149 and Leman this year, I agree completely with your assessment of these fine writing instruments, especially the Leman.

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

I was bought a Leman this year and agree it is a stunning pen. I don't know of any other pen that is as well made as the Leman.

A 149 remains very much on my wish list. Although I think I'm more likely to go for an M800 or M1000 first.

Great review and thanks for taking the time to share.

:thumbup:

Fountain pens aren't a collection, it's an insatiable obsession!

Shotokan Karate: Respect, Etiquette, Discipline, Perseverance

I think, lewis, you even have the same pen as the OP.

You'll love the 149, I'm sure, but can understand going for a Pelikan first if you wish to change nibs.

I still find my Leman a great presence in the hand and probably my favourite still, even with the 149 on board. International cartridge/converter system is a neat flexible filling arrangement too.

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

Thanks everyone.

@yachtsilverswan - Thanks again for the tip! Oh, I'm considering try out some flex nib as well, any recommendation?

I was about to further find out the difference between the M800 vs M1000. I feel adventurous to commit to M1000 if I don't get a chance to try both :).

@ballboy and lewis - the Leman is almost my everyday pen now. It is progressively taking the majority of the pages in my journal now. Also, just to share, during my purchase of this pen, I had the chance to try out the Varius series, Ivanhoe in particular and it writes slightly smoother and the barrel which I thought was too thin, provides a good grip and well balanced with the cap on. Again, the quality is exceptionally good.

My link

Interesting to note that even though you have those 2 stunning pens, the Leman still remains your favourite. Makes me wonder why its not featured more here.

Ballboy - how would you rate the 149 against the M1000? I've read the comparisons on here, but they seem to be slightly biased, depending which forum you are reading it in. I am sure I will own the 149 one day but it's just SOO much more expensive than the M1000. I can get change out of £300 for a new M1000, whereas a new 149 is nearer £600 - is it really that much better?

To get back on track - the Leman is simply an awesome pen - I can't fault it. Some may prefer a longer pen, but if posted, it has a decent length.

Glad there are at least us 3 fans on the FPN!

Fountain pens aren't a collection, it's an insatiable obsession!

Shotokan Karate: Respect, Etiquette, Discipline, Perseverance

Good job this is a multi-pen review; that way we're not going off topic with all these pens!

lewis; I think the Leman still has the edge on my affections regarding its filling system and sheer build quality. Its nib is wetter and smoother (wide medium vs MB fine medium,) and the pen is satisfyingly weighty. Aesthetically it is uniquely entrancing.

The 149 is surprisingly delightful to write with: big, yet comfortable to hold, nicely balanced, even when posted and has a nice sense of occasion to writing with that huge swaying nib which is a delight to control. Only thing is, I'd probably plump for a medium to broad or even stub on such a sized pen. However, since I was going for vintage (pre 1985) for ebonite feed and single barrel construction, this is what I bid on and won.

Overall, it's a close thing between these two, but if I only had to have one, it would be the Leman for now...until I try a broad/italic 149.

I got the 149 at way below today's prices of £490, and feel none the worse for that.

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

congrats on the pens :thumbup: and thanks for the review. You should try a vintage 149. You will be delighted.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Good god, those are elaborate, beautiful sketches! I am all admiration... :puddle:

Lovely 149, now I feel like getting myself one.

• 1 month later...