Anyone used Senator?

washati

Found the cutest knockaround senator colors at pensations.com- want it, price is right, but wanna know if it's worth it for someone who has too many pens already. What do you think?

Also, cutepens.com is a great site for obscure and asian pens.

Thanks!

:)

Lisa

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheNobleSavage

• meanwhile

• marklavar

• alvarez57

Their piston-fillers that are no longer in production are excellent pens. If they're still using their Senator-labelled nibs, then you'll probably be very satisfied with them. I don't know the seller though.

edit: because I can't spell today

Edited by KCat

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Hi Washati,

Senator pens are under rated, they write well and will stand up to daily run of the mill use for years, their piston fillers are reliable, very rarely give any trouble, some of mine are nigh on 40 years old and still going strong. They will write for a week of school work on one filling, well they did 35 years ago so I have no reason to think that they wouldn't still do it.

Give it a go, they aren't expensive for what you get and you could probably shift it on without losing much at all if you find you don't like it

You might have gathered that I rather like them, I have a few. :D

Cheers, John

I´ve got a Senator WIndsor too, a rather unusual edition with 4 italic nibs that I bought some 20 years ago. Very good nibs, a piston filler that still works like new.

I haven't used a Senator, but I have heard that some pages were used by a Representative. :roflmho: Sorry, I couldn't resist.

John T.

• 4 months later...

I have used two senator president pens for many years. The piston filling mechanism is very reliable and nibs are delightful. I have one in 14 kgold nib and other with iridium point, both superb. the black resin is still shiny, but the gold plating on trim tends to wear off.

I don't have a Senator at the moment, but I have used them. The pens I used were really nice. As others have said, they were dependable, felt good in my hand, and wrote extremely well. I have also not heard of the seller you mentioned, but I will check them out. If the selection is good, I will probably get one.

laugh.gif

Nope, but I have a PRESIDENT!!!

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

QUOTE (washati @ Oct 16 2006, 06:49 AM)
Found the cutest knockaround senator colors at pensations.com- want it, price is right, but wanna know if it's worth it for someone who has too many pens already. What do you think?
Thanks!
smile.gif
Lisa

I once bought the Senator President. Cheap, plasticky and unimpressive. It looks like a poor man's Montblanc, and writes like a poor man's Montblanc.

QUOTE (marklavar @ Mar 4 2007, 12:20 PM)
QUOTE (washati @ Oct 16 2006, 06:49 AM)
Found the cutest knockaround senator colors at pensations.com- want it, price is right, but wanna know if it's worth it for someone who has too many pens already.  What do you think?
Thanks!
smile.gif
Lisa

I once bought the Senator President. Cheap, plasticky and unimpressive. It looks like a poor man's Montblanc, and writes like a poor man's Montblanc.

Which type of MB, the 146 (?) Excuse my ignorance sad.gif

Now, this is a Platinum President...and up to now, I like how it writes. I don't mind nibs that are a bit toothy. My Symphony Montegrappas are a bit toothy and I love that feeling.

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

I have a Senator Delgado that I acquired almost by accident. It is very nice to use, and very reliable.

<span style='color:purple'>George

UK</span>

At the show, I picked up a dipped but excellent shape Senator President Limited Edition pen. This one has a black/white/grey tigers eye barrel and nice ink window with one heck of a nice 2 tone medium 18kt gold nib that is as smooth as glass.

Yes, they do resemble a MB 149 but I find it to be quite a bit lighter than the 149 but every bit as good as one, AFAIK. Underrated? You bet!!! Its a great writer at a fantastic deal and I couldnt have been more happy!!!

TNS

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

years ago I had a Senator windsor. It was a very inexpensive piston filler with a very pleasant nib. It looked decent, certainly not like an expensive culleloid pen. But there was nothing wrong with it and it functioned well.

TNS, any chance of a photo of the new President LE?

Have used some of the inexpensive piston fillers and have a President. All have been very good, reliable writers, and, ime/imho, excellent performers at very reasonable prices.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

QUOTE (John Cullen @ Mar 5 2007, 02:12 PM)
years ago I had a Senator windsor. It was a very inexpensive piston filler with a very pleasant nib. It looked decent, certainly not like an expensive culleloid pen. But there was nothing wrong with it and it functioned well.

TNS, any chance of a photo of the new President LE?

Give me a few days and I will take a few photos and post them here!!!

TNS

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Sweet. No rush, but it sure sounds like a nice looking pen. Was Senator pens at the show? I can only think of one place on the web in the US where I have ever seen Senator pens listed. Hmmm. I wonder why. j

No Actually they were not there!! I bought it from Mark Helfer on that Sunday. It had the box/display case and papers. It was only dipped once and the gentleman thought it was too broad for his taste.

To be quite honest, I dont hear much from Senator, eventhough they are an American company. Its kind of strange but they seem to cater to everyone outside the US market.

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

I am having a sense of total unreality when reading all of these replies that have to do with Senator piston-filling pens. The original poster is thinking of buying an inexpensive, very colorful, cartridge-filling pen. Those are pens that seem to be marketed for impulse purchases.

Pens for teenagers if not children. Girlie pens. Pens that might be sold in a museum gift shoppe. Displayed near cash register items.

It is as if the original poster were contemplating a Pelikano Junior or a Lamy ABC and then one and all praised their Pelikan or Lamy piston fillers.

As for Senator being an American company that doesn't do much business in America, oh well. Senator is a current business name for Merz & Krell, a long-established German company. It does lots of business in many countries other than Germany. It is deeply into imprinted pens. A company can sell an awful lot of imprinted giveaway pens without attracting much FPN attention. (I didn't find all this out from secret sources. I found it out by looking at Web sites.)

The question was about "Senator pens," but not the same Senator pens our rapid responders were thinking of.

Does anybody out there have experience with the inexpensive, colorful, fun-looking Senator pens being asked about? Are they even thought to be worth commenting on? I've never owned one, but let us rally around the original poster if we can.

The question was about "Senator pens," but not the same Senator pens our rapid responders were thinking of.

While I don't have one of the colorful ones, I have a few of the inexpensive Senator pens (as well as a President), and they are piston fillers. Bargain pens for the money, imho.

Edited by southpaw
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)