The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Hero 616

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 luvpens

luvpens

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2010 - 18:59

Ok,

I looked around on these and they seem to have mixed comments.

I bought a batch of 3 from a UK seller, which arrived in a couple of days.

This is a fairly brief and to the point look at these pens.

Weight.
They don't have any, feels about the same as a basic bic biro - not impressed!

Quality and finish.
The actual finish is ok, but the materials are obviously cheap. The cap seems to be a plated, thin cheap alloy.

Nib.
Out of the three, only one writes ok, the others are very scratchy, even for a fine nib.
The nib was not as fine as I expected and lays down a line comparable with my expert 2 fine.
The good one actually writes quite well and the line is not too wet.

Overall.
I realise that these pens are quite amazingly cheap and you get what you pay for, but to me anyway, they are not even a good introduction to fountain pens.
One of them writes quite well, but both looks and feels like what it is - cheap!!

I think these will reside in file 13......

However, being a lover of the p51 (I don't have one as yet) I'd be interested in how the Hero 100 compares.

Sponsored Content

#2 nxn96

nxn96

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2010 - 20:05

I think you'll find you like the "51" much more than the 616.

Before you throw the 616's too far, you might want to consider holding on to one of the caps, as they fit the 51's (the barrels aren't interchangeable, however). I keep one in my desk drawer at work so I can transport the deskpen at home on weekends for refilling without any issues. In case you find yourself with a deskset sometime down the road, this is a nice thing to have.

#3 luvpens

luvpens

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2010 - 20:21

Thanks for the advice.

Maybe I'll keep them away from file 13 and just file them as "don't want to use" at the moment..... :thumbup:

#4 RockFL

RockFL

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2010 - 20:50

We ordered a 10-pack of these for the member of the family who regularly loses things but now likes to use a fountain pen. They are very inexpensive and very poorly made. Of the ten in our pack, none would fill unless we removed the metal tubing over the bladder/sac and squeezed the sac manually. Some still wouldn't take ink at all, and of those which would take ink only three actually write without leaking through the feed or into the cap. The nibs aren't particularly scratchy, but their undependable nature makes them a chore to use.

Yes, they're inexpensive. However, IMHO, they really should be marketed as disposable items or playthings rather than a decent writing instrument.

#5 Scrawler

Scrawler

The pen is an extension of my mind

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,750 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2010 - 21:02

We ordered a 10-pack of these for the member of the family who regularly loses things but now likes to use a fountain pen. They are very inexpensive and very poorly made. Of the ten in our pack, none would fill unless we removed the metal tubing over the bladder/sac and squeezed the sac manually. Some still wouldn't take ink at all, and of those which would take ink only three actually write without leaking through the feed or into the cap. The nibs aren't particularly scratchy, but their undependable nature makes them a chore to use.

Yes, they're inexpensive. However, IMHO, they really should be marketed as disposable items or playthings rather than a decent writing instrument.

I bought a 10 pack to try. The ones I have tried actually write OK, with the right ink (HoD). None of them fill at all. Even if I remove that nasty piece of tin that covers the bladder and squeeze the whole thing, I cannot get more than a bit into the breather tube. Sad really because if I could get ink into them, they would make viable substitutes for a Bic.

#6 luvpens

luvpens

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2010 - 21:55

I bought a 10 pack to try. The ones I have tried actually write OK, with the right ink (HoD). None of them fill at all. Even if I remove that nasty piece of tin that covers the bladder and squeeze the whole thing, I cannot get more than a bit into the breather tube. Sad really because if I could get ink into them, they would make viable substitutes for a Bic.

I love that cat / computer avatar - hilarious.... :roflmho:

Just had a play with the other two, including the trick of rubbing the nib on cardboard etc and they remain scratchy and horrible!!
Seems I paid 6.99 for one workable pen, hence not the bargain they seem. Maybe that's why you can buy packs of 10, you may get lucky and get one or two that write ok........ :ltcapd:

So, c'mon - how are those 100's........???

#7 Scrawler

Scrawler

• Member - Gold

• 4,750 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2010 - 22:51

I love that cat / computer avatar - hilarious.... :roflmho:

Just had a play with the other two, including the trick of rubbing the nib on cardboard etc and they remain scratchy and horrible!!
Seems I paid 6.99 for one workable pen, hence not the bargain they seem. Maybe that's why you can buy packs of 10, you may get lucky and get one or two that write ok........ :ltcapd:

So, c'mon - how are those 100's........???

Glad you like my kitty. I used HoD in mine. It is a highly lubricating ink, so that may have made a difference. Before wearing the nibs out on brown bags, try a highly lubricating ink. However the filling problem is another matter. I have enough of them to experiment with over winter. I am going to destroy one or two custom making a filling system. I do know that someone has successfully made an eyedropper out of one. I have forgotten how they sealed the hole at the top end, but it is possible. I do not want an eyedropper though. I have a 616 Jumbo. It is a whole different kettle of fish. The Jumbo is larger and has a decent filler. The Jumbo 616 is actually a very nice inexpensive pen. I was getting a package from isellpens and I had Todd throw one in for an extra $3.00, just to try. The fit and finish of the Jumbo is much better than the standard one.

#8 krokens

krokens

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2010 - 23:07

I bought a 10 pack of Hero 616 and I have to say that probably I was very lucky. I used only 3 of them and I'm very surprised with the results, especially with one of them. It writes very smooth and even better than 3 Parker 21 I have. The problem, at the beginning was fill them. However, once you remove the metal piece that covers the bladder, you can fill it with some reasonable quantity of ink (I would say 60% of total capacity). Of course, you need some patience to get the ink inside and do it 7 or 8 times to get it. Anyway, keeping in mind the cost (1,5€ shipping included), I think that the price/quality ratio is very good.

#9 luvpens

luvpens

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2010 - 23:36

Strangely enough, all of mine fill ok!!

What's "hod" ink. I've not heard of that.
I'm using Pelikan 4001 royal blue at the moment.......

Thanks all for the comments so far

#10 Scrawler

Scrawler

• Member - Gold

• 4,750 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2010 - 23:47

Strangely enough, all of mine fill ok!!

What's "hod" ink. I've not heard of that.
I'm using Pelikan 4001 royal blue at the moment.......

Thanks all for the comments so far

HoD is Heart of Darkness. It is an excellent black, that has very good lubricating qualities and as such makes even scratch pens feel smooth.

#11 luvpens

luvpens

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2010 - 23:50

Thanks,

I'll look that up.
Anything to make my pens feel smoother.

#12 Scrawler

Scrawler

• Member - Gold

• 4,750 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2010 - 23:57

Thanks,

I'll look that up.

There is a vast amount of information on this board about Noodlers Heart of Darkness. It is a popular ink. Search "Inky Thoughts" for the ink reviews.

#13 luvpens

luvpens

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2010 - 00:07

Thanks,

I'll look that up.

There is a vast amount of information on this board about Noodlers Heart of Darkness. It is a popular ink. Search "Inky Thoughts" for the ink reviews.

Thanks again.

Just done a (quick) google and can't seem to find the Noodlers HOD in the UK. Is there anothers Noodlers blue / black that is as lubricating? I actually prefer very dark inks.

#14 Scrawler

Scrawler

• Member - Gold

• 4,750 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2010 - 00:15

Thanks,

I'll look that up.

Thanks again.

Just done a (quick) google and can't seem to find the Noodlers HOD in the UK. Is there anothers Noodlers blue / black that is as lubricating? I actually prefer very dark inks.

Search here http://www.fountainp...35-ink-reviews/
for an ink you like the sound of and then look for it. I would be surprised if Heart of Darkness was not available in UK. It is very popular. I would have thought that anyone carrying Noodlers would have it.
I do not have time to check on the Diamine inks right now, but they are readily available in the UK, as they are made there. Have a look at the reviews for "lubrication".

#15 luvpens

luvpens

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2010 - 00:18

Many thanks,

Will do tomorrow. Getting late here (not sure of the time in Canada)!

Thanks for your help..... :thumbup:

#16 Scrawler

Scrawler

• Member - Gold

• 4,750 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2010 - 00:26

Many thanks,

Will do tomorrow. Getting late here (not sure of the time in Canada)!

Thanks for your help..... :thumbup:

Dinner time.

#17 J English Smith

J English Smith

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:01

Hero 616s do vary. Some, though, are shockingly good. My two best ones have shinier sac guards - I think these ones came from Speerbob here on FPN. The others I have were from eBay. Some fill better than others, and the good ones also have better sealing caps. It is hit or miss but they are great to carry when you are not wanting to carry or risk a pricier pen for the day's activities...

Parker 51s are the bomb, I love them, and the Hero 616 is what it is, an homage, an imitation. But at about 1/20th the price, not a bad deal.
<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

#18 bhbarto

bhbarto

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:55

I have had about a dozen 616's and I have given them all away or added them as a free bonus to a pen sale. They are a mixed bag, about 50% work OK, and some may even work very good. However, they really don't offer a terrific fountain pen experience, and I would prefer a good Pilot G2 roller-ball over them any day.

The Hero 329 seems to be made much better, but it has a very very fine nib on it.

Pen(s) Currently in Rotation:

ASA Daily (Medium) - Graf von Faber-Castell Hazelnut Brown

Sheaffer Snorkel Desk Pen (Medium) - Lamy Black

Lamy Safari (Medium) - Private Reserve American Blue

#19 quoll

quoll

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:38

I have had three for about a month. As a few of you have done, I got a three-pack off eBay.

I certainly agree that they feel cheap. Very lightweight and the materials look and feel cheaply made. At the price, I am not surprised (I think they worked out at about $3 each) but the quality isn't anywhere near other Chinese pens I have - Baoer, Lanbitou, Jinhao - that are still under the $10 mark.

All three of mine fill well, have large ink capacity and last for ages. Much longer than most of my other pens. Out of the packet, one wrote brilliantly, one very poorly (dry and scratchy) and one somewhere in the middle. The middle one responded very well to the brown paper bag treatment and switch to Noodler's Black and is now very good. The poor one is still poor and a lost cause.

The issue is quality control, or the lack of it. At their price point, I think you have to accept that you buy three to get one good one. Once you factor that in, they don't seem cheap compared to other Chinese pens.

#20 seymour

seymour

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:39

Hi

I had an interesting experience. I bought a single 616 with a "gold" cap, which wasn't bad and then a pack of 10 from ebay. They had "silver" caps. Their quality was not bad, but the interesting thing was that the dimensions were different from the original 616. They were smaller.

Do the pens come in different sizes?

Chaim
Chaim Seymour
David Elazar 8
Givat Shemuel
Israel

Sponsored Content

|