"bunch Of Blues" Part One

SamCapote

It would be better to continue these conversationsin this thread showing photos of many highly regarded brands that have sediment forming, rather than in this thread about displaying the diversity of blues and how to best represent them.

So: (100 inks) x (6 pens) x (4 papers) = nap time.

I only have one lifetime within which to accomplish this goal. I envision fitting them all on either two or four 8.5 x 11" sheets that have Ink names & boxes printed with Laser Printer. I'll likely do the 0.7mm & 0.5mm Brausse nibs + Qtip together on same page.

I'm sufficiently challenged just getting all the list of blues tallied up.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SamCapote

• fjf

• Sandy1

• Truppi327

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, I didn't realise you had the answer already; and the thread is in effect 'closed'.

Seems my thoughts are for naught.

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Oh, I didn't realise you had the answer already; and the thread is in effect 'closed'.

Seems my thoughts are for naught.

No, it is not answered already or closed, but this color comparison is not intended to be like the reviews as you do for inks. It is more like an online all performed and scanned the same way, on the same paper, at the same time comparison. This is too large a number of inks, and needs to be practical, efficient, and following simple "look at a glance" format in comparing colors. I'm not comparing writing flow, performance on multiple papers, use in multiple pens (2 dip sizes is plenty), feathering, permanence, dry time, etc.. In short, I won't be able to do "a Sandy1 review" on all these inks.

Edited by SamCapote

I'm up to 105 Blue Inks, and still have to go through the rest of my Noodlers & Sailors, but I think I'm getting down to the bottom of my blue inks. Some of these may be scratched once used if way out of category with others.

01 - Abraxis Konigsblau

02 - Abraxis Orion Blue

03 - Abraxis Night Blue

04 - Abraxis Royal Blue

05 - Abraxis Water Blue

06 - Aurora Blue

07 - Blue Madonna

08 - Calamo Stipula Blu della Robbia

09 - Caran d'Ache Blue Sky

10 - Cartier Blue

11 - Conway Stewart Blue

12 - DeAtramentis Jules Verne Blue

13 - DeAtramentis Lavender

14 - DeAtramentis Saphire Blue

15 - DeAtramentis Steel Blue

16 - Delta Blue

17 - Diamine Asa

18 - Diamine China Blue

19 - Diamine Florida

20 - Diamine Hvasan Turquoise

21 - Diamine Kensington

22 - Diamine Majestic

23 - Diamine Mediterranean Blue

24 - Diamine Midnight

25 - Diamine Presidential

26 - Diamine Prussian Blue

27 - Diamine Royal

28 - Diamine Saphire

29 - Diamine Steel

30 - Diamine Washable

31 - Diamine WES Imperial

32 - Dunhill Blue

33 - Eagle Royal Blue

34 - Everflow True Blue

35 - Gates Blue Tablets

36 - Graf Von Faber Castell Royal Blue

37 - Herbin Bleu Myositis

38 - Herbin Eclat de Saphir

39 - Higgins Blue Waterproof Drawing Ink

40 - Inoxcrom Royal Blue

41 - Iroshizuku Ajisai

42 - Iroshizuku Asa-Gao

43 - Iroshizuku Kon Peki

44 - Iroshizuku Tsuyu-Kusa

45 - Lamy Blue

46 - Levenger Cobalt Blue

47 - Levenger Empyrean Blue

48 - Levenger Skies of Blue

49 - MontBlanc Royal Blue

50 - Montegrappa Blue

51 - Montiverde Blue

52 - Namiki (Pilot) Blue

53 - Noodlers Bad Belted Kingfisher Blue

54 - Noodlers Bad Blue Heron

55 - Noodlers Baystate Blue

56 - Noodlers Blue

57 - Noodlers Blue

58 - Noodlers Blue Bonnet

59 - Noodlers Eel Blue

60 - Noodlers Luxury Blue

61 - Noodlers Midway Blue

62 - Noodlers Navy Blue

63 - Noodlers Ottoman Azure

64 - Noodlers Polar Blue

65 - Omas Blue

66 - Parker Penman Sapphire

67 - Parker Quink Washable Blue

68 - Parker Permanent Blue

69 - Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue

70 - Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire

71 - Pelikan Edelstein Topaz

72 - Platinum Pigment Blue

73 - Private Reserve American

74 - Private Reserve Cosmic

75 - Private Reserve Daphne

76 - Private Reserve DC Electric

77 - Private Reserve DC Supershow

78 - Private Reserve Invincible Blue

79 - Private Reserve Lake Placid

80 - Private Reserve Midnight

81 - Private Reserve Naples

82 - Private Reserve Sonic

83 - Private Reserve Tropical

84 - R&K Blue Mare

85 - R&K Konigsblau Royal Blue

86 - R&K Permanent Blue

87 - Robersons Penman Agate Blue

88 - Robersons Penman Amazonite Green

89 - Robersons Penman Aquamarine Blue

90 - Robersons Penman Turquoise Agate

91 - S.T. Dupont Royal Blue

92 - Sailor Blue

93 - Sailor Souten Blue

94 - Sailor Nioi Sumire (Summer Sky)

95 - Sailor Hougado Bocchan Blue

96 - Sailor Kobe Shioya

97 - Sailor Kobe On The Waterfront

98 - Sailor Kobe Blue Channel

99 - Sailor Kobe Maya Lapis

100 - Sheaffer Blue

101 - Sheaffer Skrip Permanent #54 Royal Blue

102 - Signature Blue

103 - Visconti Blue

104 - Waterman Florida Blue

105 - Yard-O-LED Blue

Calibrating my scanner with an IT8 target did not turn out to be the silver bullet I had hoped it would be.

Hi,

It may not be a 'silver bullet', BUT your scanner is calibrated - which I hope is an improvement.

Without calibration, a project requiring accuracy/fidelity is bound to fail; and to avoid a WOMBAT, is best not started.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I'm up to 105 Blue Inks, and still have to go through the rest of my Noodlers & Sailors, but I think I'm getting down to the bottom of my blue inks. Some of these may be scratched once used if way out of category with others.

56 - Noodlers Blue

57 - Noodlers Blue

Two Noodler's Blue?

Something I would find very interesting, although I realize it's time consuming to do....

I'd like to see the blues further refined into purple-blues, blue-blues and green-blues. Maybe one group per page? Probably very difficult to sort 105 inks into groups like that, I had enough trouble just sorting just the small number of blues I own. And there's probably be disagreement over where the boundary between blue-blue and the others would be.

Any type of list you put together will be incredibly helpful. I see a such a list as a starting point, an aid to pick out some hues I'd want to spend time reading in depth reviews of.

56 - Noodlers Blue

57 - Noodlers Blue

Two Noodler's Blue?

Something I would find very interesting, although I realize it's time consuming to do....

I'd like to see the blues further refined into purple-blues, blue-blues and green-blues. Maybe one group per page? Probably very difficult to sort 105 inks into groups like that, I had enough trouble just sorting just the small number of blues I own. And there's probably be disagreement over where the boundary between blue-blue and the others would be.

Any type of list you put together will be incredibly helpful. I see a such a list as a starting point, an aid to pick out some hues I'd want to spend time reading in depth reviews of.

LOL! I started going through my lists and had written "Blue Ghost," but then I realized it's invisible ! :roflmho:

It was then that I saw the need to line up all my "possibly qualifying" Noodlers out of my 168 bottles, then see which are in this "blue ballpark".

Here are the ones I'm pretty sure are in the ballpoart of Noodler Blues:

54 - Noodlers Bad Blue Heron

55 - Noodlers Baystate Blue

56 - Noodlers Blue

57 - Noodlers Blue Bonnet

58 - Noodlers Eel Blue

59 - Noodlers Luxury Blue

60 - Noodlers Midway Blue

61 - Noodlers Navy Blue

62 - Noodlers Ottoman Azure

63 - Noodlers Polar Blue

Then here are my other possible ones:

Midnight

Pearl Tahitian

Glacier

Navaho Turquoise

Turquoise

Eel Turquoise

Purple Martin

Periwinkle

Aquamarine

Honourable

Antigua

Nantucket

North Sea

St. Elmo's Fire

Legal Lapis

Van Gogh Starry Night

Big Bad Belted Kingfisher

Once that's done, I just need to check my Sailors, and I should be "ready to ink."

I like your idea of lining them up, but would have to cut them once painted. I also see Sandy's points, and I probably will print the laser template lists on 3 different kinds of papers, and probably make 5-10 copies on each paper type. The most time consuming part to avoid cross contamination is to draw up each ink with a separate disposable pipette, and "fill" the double reservoir Brause dip nib, then after writing, rinse it, dip in alcohol, rinse again in distilled water, and air-dry off with blower. I might as well make a bunch of sample copies while I have one ink out.

Edited by SamCapote

I did what I think is the IT8 calibration. with it on the right. The left is my last good one.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Inks/Blue9s.jpg http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Inks/Blues13s.jpg

Edited by SamCapote

Calibrating my scanner with an IT8 target did not turn out to be the silver bullet I had hoped it would be.

Hi,

It may not be a 'silver bullet', BUT your scanner is calibrated - which I hope is an improvement.

Without calibration, a project requiring accuracy/fidelity is bound to fail; and to avoid a WOMBAT, is best not started.

Bye,

S1

Sandy, although I had to buy the VueScan software, I greatly prefer it once you get into the advanced settings described in the Help guide, and begin to see its greater accuracy. They give you a specific way to calibrate to an IT8 standard that I did not find available in the regular Epson Scan software (even in Professional Mode)--which I don't understand why they would not allow you to calibrate to a known image with values described in an accompanying CD file. If you click on my last two images above, displaying the high res images in two windows, which have no post scan processing, you can see the better representation of colors with the IT8 on the right....most noticeable is comparing the black printing on the bottom of the original with the IT8 version.

Sam:

Looks much better after calibration -- the "unsaturated" look is gone and the color is correct so far as I can see.

I did notice that the Penman Sapphire sample was darker using the threshold command in Photoshop than the black ink at hte bottom of the page!

I don't have much in teh way of contrast controls on the laptop, I'll check again at home with the big monitor.

Peter