Noodler's Flex Pen

sentraser165

Nathan seems to have revealed a number of the future colors for this pen in a video on his YouTube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aVXYsZ476w

The video's prime purpose is to announce his art contest and go through all the pens the first prize winner will receive...but it also shows a number of pens that have not yet been released.

Starting at around the 6 minute mark, Nathan starts talking about the flex pens—first the clear demo and the December 25th everyone's familiar with, then five other pens that they're grouped with.

In order, from right to left:

• "Lapis Inferno" (blue with white swirls)
  • "Vulcan's Coral" (burgundy with white swirls)
  • "Ivory Darkness" (black with white swirls)
  • "Cardinal Darkness" (red with black swirls)
  • "Poltergeist Pumpkin" (orange with black swirls)

...Furthermore!

The "Ivory Darkness" is featured in

(December 30th). In its description, Nathan writes:

This pen will be available in limited numbers within the next two weeks. We will not have more for some time after that period and will instead issue a different pen with the Noodler's flex nib when these sell out.

So those who are interested in a specific color may want to keep their ears to the ground, lest they miss out and have to wait until some undetermined future date...

Does anyone have any clue as to when we could see the other colors? I am particularly thinking about the pumpkin. I don't want that to be hidden until October 2011, but I also don't want to purchase another color just because it is currently out. Brilliant marketing!

I want to know when Cardinal Darkness is coming out. As someone who prefers higher end pens, I actually like the Noodler's piston fillers. I have one with blue with the original non-flex nib and a clear demo with a flex nib. Aside from dry-out issues caused by the breather hole in the cap, I'm quite happy with them. Nice to find an inexpensive pen with a screw on cap as opposed to a snap or slip cap.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gobblecup

• Yoda4561

• UkeDan

• Senate1123

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bet Watch_art wins...

:glare:.......:crybaby:

WHAT? Wins what? I didn't even know there was a contest! :headsmack:

I guess I'll have to look into that.

edit: (and thanks spitfire!)

Edited by watch_art

Okay, I had a pretty cool idea while watching that video...

only thing is I don't have a Noodler's fountain pen. Lots of ink, no pen.

Anybody wanna donate one for the project and I'll send it back when I'm done?

Okay, I had a pretty cool idea while watching that video...

only thing is I don't have a Noodler's fountain pen. Lots of ink, no pen.

Anybody wanna donate one for the project and I'll send it back when I'm done?

You mean we could both win!?! :eureka:

Give me a PM, I have a flex creaper demo! :thumbup:

Gobblecup ~

I was significantly disappointed with the "flex" - my VPs have more flex. I've tossed it in a box or drawer somewhere - can't even find it that's how little it impressed me. Only got it a couple of weeks ago and have misplaced it after a few minutes test drive. Maybe I got a bad one. I keep looking at my 9128 nibs and wondering why is this so hard to duplicate? It's just a steel nib with long, thin tines. Nothing fancy, no glorious feed that requires lots of excessive flow. Just a plain ol' Extie screw-in feed with collar that just happens to spread open beautifully and give me beautiful variation. And my VPs? Explain their impressive springy-ness which is just as good as my Falcon - albeit for a shorter distance. Got nothing like that with the Noodlers. Oh, it will spread wide - if I cramp my hand up good.

not what I expected from Nathan's capable hands. Guess there's no accounting for mass production - but wait, how many 9128 nibs were made? And what I would give to have learned about them 20 years ago and accumulated more of them. :( :crybaby:

Edited by KCat

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Does anyone have a video (or want to make a video) explaining how to best use this pen?

After watching this movie, I'm amazed at how vertical it looks like he is holding the pen. Any instructions or "this is what works for me..." would be great!

Nathan seems to have revealed a number of the future colors for this pen in a video on his YouTube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aVXYsZ476w

The video's prime purpose is to announce his art contest and go through all the pens the first prize winner will receive...but it also shows a number of pens that have not yet been released.

Starting at around the 6 minute mark, Nathan starts talking about the flex pens—first the clear demo and the December 25th everyone's familiar with, then five other pens that they're grouped with.

In order, from right to left:

• "Lapis Inferno" (blue with white swirls)
  • "Vulcan's Coral" (burgundy with white swirls)
  • "Ivory Darkness" (black with white swirls)
  • "Cardinal Darkness" (red with black swirls)
  • "Poltergeist Pumpkin" (orange with black swirls)

...Furthermore!

The "Ivory Darkness" is featured in

(December 30th). In its description, Nathan writes:

This pen will be available in limited numbers within the next two weeks. We will not have more for some time after that period and will instead issue a different pen with the Noodler's flex nib when these sell out.

So those who are interested in a specific color may want to keep their ears to the ground, lest they miss out and have to wait until some undetermined future date...

Does anyone have any clue as to when we could see the other colors? I am particularly thinking about the pumpkin. I don't want that to be hidden until October 2011, but I also don't want to purchase another color just because it is currently out. Brilliant marketing!

It's like watching Soupy Sales with that hand waving around in the video.

Does anyone have a video (or want to make a video) explaining how to best use this pen?

After watching this movie, I'm amazed at how vertical it looks like he is holding the pen. Any instructions or "this is what works for me..." would be great!

I hold mine very low (more horizontal than vertical) and use medium speed and (hopefully) highly controlled strokes, which seems to reduce skipping quite a bit.

Gobblecup ~

Just got my Ivory Darkness in the mail tonight. It is a bit smaller than I thought, but very pretty. I'll be inking it up tomorrow and playing with it.

Just got my Ivory Darkness in the mail tonight. It is a bit smaller than I thought, but very pretty. I'll be inking it up tomorrow and playing with it.

I found that I had to push the feed in a bit to get it to go. At first, it was working but the feed was hitting the paper. Hopefully I did it right and it stays in. Anyone else have to do this?

I found that I had to push the feed in a bit to get it to go. At first, it was working but the feed was hitting the paper. Hopefully I did it right and it stays in. Anyone else have to do this?

My Noodler's (non-flex) pen was extremely toothy when I first got it, so I pulled out the feed and nib and adjusted the tines a teeny bit. I then shoved them both back in. The pen was essentially made so that you could do so and it shouldn't be a problem.

speaking of nibs, has anyone tried to shove another nib into the flex pen? I'm kind of curious about what nibs other nibs they take.

speaking of nibs, has anyone tried to shove another nib into the flex pen? I'm kind of curious about what nibs other nibs they take.

Hunt 99 dip nib, but needs a bit of feed adjustment (since for some reason, all dip nibs have a slight curve to them). WAAAAYYYY more flex available, and a much finer line. Haven't tried extended writes, because I don't want to heat set it to the dip nib.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/CxTPB/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg Member since Sept 7, 2010

TWSBI Diamond 530 - Private Reserve Avocado

Black Kaweco Sport M Nib - Diamine Oxblood

Wing Sung #233 - Noodler's Lexington Gray

I'm waiting for a Moore #2 nib to try. I'll keep posted.

• 1 month later...

This sounds like the pen I'm looking for. I am a total newbie. I have been an artist and designer most of my life. I was over come with a strong desire to have a fountain pen recently. I use the old crow quill type pens from time to time. I have purchased a handful of pens from local art shops and they were a start. I want, I need a pen with lots of flex. I like thick and thins. You know what I mean. Soooooo, where did you get the pen you are writing about? I hope you can tell me. Thanks!

This pen is most like my 1930's pens, in size and the nib is very like one old pen that has a nib marked "imperial".

I am a bit careful with my old finless pens - I drag them with me only when I know I am going somewhere I can sit.

This Noodler's flex pen, well I have been dragging it everywhere for the past two days. It wrote and drew on the subway. It filled out and signed student forms.

I made some drawings of landscapes from life, and some figures from invention.

I have used it on cheap paper, on decent laid paper and in my moleskin date book.

Like my 1930's imperial, your hand has to be aware of the nib; but that's what drawing is, a partnership between hand, eye, brain and materials.

I am absolutely enthralled with the pen.

And, Mr Goulet was lovely to deal with. Treated me like an intelligent individual when I had a question.

This sounds like the pen I'm looking for. I am a total newbie. I have been an artist and designer most of my life. I was over come with a strong desire to have a fountain pen recently. I use the old crow quill type pens from time to time. I have purchased a handful of pens from local art shops and they were a start. I want, I need a pen with lots of flex. I like thick and thins. You know what I mean. Soooooo, where did you get the pen you are writing about? I hope you can tell me. Thanks!

This pen is most like my 1930's pens, in size and the nib is very like one old pen that has a nib marked "imperial".

I am a bit careful with my old finless pens - I drag them with me only when I know I am going somewhere I can sit.

This Noodler's flex pen, well I have been dragging it everywhere for the past two days. It wrote and drew on the subway. It filled out and signed student forms.

I made some drawings of landscapes from life, and some figures from invention.

I have used it on cheap paper, on decent laid paper and in my moleskin date book.

Like my 1930's imperial, your hand has to be aware of the nib; but that's what drawing is, a partnership between hand, eye, brain and materials.

I am absolutely enthralled with the pen.

And, Mr Goulet was lovely to deal with. Treated me like an intelligent individual when I had a question.

http://www.gouletpens.com/Noodlers_Flex_Nib_Pens_s/903.htm

Currently they are all out of stock, but you might look through the Sale threads here on the FPN, some have popped up occasionally.

Gobblecup ~