Stipula Verde Muschiato

geoduc

There aren't many reviews for this ink so I thought I'd add another one. I picked this up about a month ago and have been pleasantly surprised; it has exceeded my expectations. I would classify Verde Muschiato as a golden olive green color. I honestly didn't expect to like it as much as I do – I was mainly just looking for a color in this class to fill out my spectrum. The nice color, shading, and behavior of this ink have quickly moved it onto my top tier.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5126/5234757369_f6fe183e8a.jpg

Writing samples:

The following samples were written with a variety of pens chosen to show the ink with different nib widths and wetness. As with most inks in my experience, the broader nibs show off the colors better but even the relatively narrow Sailor medium lets the color of this ink come through. Writing excerpts are from the short story, "Repent, Harlequin!" said the Ticktockman, by Harlan Ellison.

Here are samples on Rhodia 90gsm paper. Please pardon the labored handwriting. I've been working to improve my cursive and need to overcome a lot of years of muscle memory to move away from my natural small, fast and mostly indecipherable handwriting:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5204/5235350136_5fd6b825b4_b.jpg

And here is a sample on Midori paper (this is a Japanese paper that has a nice off-white color, and is a joy to write on):

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5042/5234757101_ce56445ded_z.jpg

Behavior:

Flow: Not too wet, not too dry. The Conway Stewart is one of my wetter nibs and the flow was well controlled in that pen.

Lubrication: Good lubrication with all the nibs I've tried.

Saturation: Moderate – I prefer inks that aren't overly saturated and this one fits nicely.

Feathering: None on good paper, moderate on cheap copy paper.

Showthrough: None on good paper, slight on cheap copy paper

Bleedthrough: None on any paper I've tried.

Smear: None once dry.

Shading: Can be dramatic with the right nib/paper combination.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5208/5235350246_d9430ca8d7_b.jpg

Dry time: Very good, sample below is on Rhodia paper. Any ink that dries in less than 15 seconds on Rhodia is a winner in my book.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5002/5234757241_8bb39a62d0.jpg

Water resistance: Most of the color is gone, but writing is still legible after a 15 minute soak in a sink full of tapwater.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5003/5234757053_652238d92c_z.jpg

Other:

The going rate for this ink in the U.S. is about $19 per bottle (I purchased mine from Swisher Pens). Seems expensive, but that price is for a 70ml bottle – more than twice the volume of typical J. Herbin inks .

The bottle is cylindrical with a diameter of 53mm, a height of 90mm, and an opening diameter of 25mm. The bottle is dark brown glass and thus it can be hard to see the ink level when filling your pen.

I don't have any similar colors, but the scans of Rohrer & Klingner Alt Goldgrun look pretty close. It would be interesting to see the two inks side by side.

Conclusion:

If you are interested in an ink in this color range, I would highly recommend Verde Muschiato. The behavior characteristics and shading possibilities are excellent. I haven't tried any of the other Stipula inks so I don't know if they all behave the same. I hope so.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• geoduc

• Dr Lopez

• WillSW

• Sandy1

Top Posters In This Topic

I just acquired a bottle of this ink after having received a few letters written with it, and I agree with everything you've said. If you like Lie de The, Alt Goldgrun, or Brooklyn Brawn, you'll love this ink. It's a bit darker than Alt Goldgrun - I think I have a little left of an old sample and can do a scan in a few days. The dry time is especially nice - I've been using it in a Noodler's flex nib and I don't have to wait so long before I write on the back of the page.

Great review, thanks.

I ordered this ink a few days ago and expect it to arrive soon. This is such a nice review, thanks! I've seen this ink once in person, and it looked much darker than your scans, but I think it was in a really wet pen. I'm actually pleasantly surprised if this ink is indeed as light as in this review.

Now I really can't wait to get my bottle!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Excellent review. I forgot I had this ink! Your review reminds me why I love it; a pen will be filled with it today. Well done.

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

Excellent review of a lovely ink. It's one of my favourites. It writes this colour for me too, Iranna, so unless you use a very wet pen you should have the same result.

Edited by karinh

"Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light." - Groucho Marx

This is one of my favourite greens, together with MB Racing Green and Private Reserve Sherwood Green, very different greens for different uses. I love the way it shades and the excellent flow. The effect on flexible nibs is amazing. It is a fantastic ink. Mine looks exactly as I see in your writing samples, on my monitor that is.

In my current rotation:

Pelikan 400 Brown Tortoise/14K Fine/J. Herbin Cafe des Iles

Lamy 2000/14K Medium/Lamy Blue-Black

Sailor 1911 Large burgundy/21K Naginata Togi Medium/Diamine Oxblood

Montblanc 146/14K Fine/Montblanc Racing Green

Rosetta blue/Steel Pendelton cursive italic/Pelikan Royal Blue

Delta Passion/18K Broad/Diamine Syrah

Great review, thanks!

I'm not sure I've ever seen highlights quite that green in mine. The Churchill sample is the one that most closely resembles what I see, and the highlights tend toward brown/khaki rather than green. I'll have to dig out a drier pen and see if I can get that cool green going.

Also, in my experience, Verde Muschiato is much darker than Alt Goldgrün.

Ryan.

Thanks for all of the kind comments; I appreciate the feedback.

I'm not sure I've ever seen highlights quite that green in mine. The Churchill sample is the one that most closely resembles what I see, and the highlights tend toward brown/khaki rather than green. I'll have to dig out a drier pen and see if I can get that cool green going.

Also, in my experience, Verde Muschiato is much darker than Alt Goldgrün.

Ryan.

The green is definitely there in all three samples, but the Danitrio stub is the one that shows it best. I think the ink would be a lot less interesting if it were just a brown/khaki color.

Good to know about the difference with Alt Goldgrun. Thanks to you and WillSW for providing that information.

The Midori paper sample is incredible...

The above shall not be construed as legal advice under any circumstances

That colour looks terrific, thank you for the review!

I've been looking for a brass/bronze colour ink, and this one looks like it might fit the bill.

Lovely shading, too! :puddle:

I think this would look lovely in my Pelikan Honey. I have wanted this ink for a while. Thanks for the reminder...I think.

We can trust the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. - Immanual Kant

I acquired mine through melpens. High shipping for two bottles of ink. BUT WORTH EVERY PENNY. This is one of my most favorite inks. maybe the most favored.

b

I acquired mine through melpens. High shipping for two bottles of ink. BUT WORTH EVERY PENNY. This is one of my most favorite inks. maybe the most favored.

b

melpens used to charge $15 flat rate for shipping anywhere. This means it charges $15 no matter how many items you buy. I think it is an excellent deal if you buy several items like 3 bottles of ink.

In my current rotation:

Pelikan 400 Brown Tortoise/14K Fine/J. Herbin Cafe des Iles

Lamy 2000/14K Medium/Lamy Blue-Black

Sailor 1911 Large burgundy/21K Naginata Togi Medium/Diamine Oxblood

Montblanc 146/14K Fine/Montblanc Racing Green

Rosetta blue/Steel Pendelton cursive italic/Pelikan Royal Blue

Delta Passion/18K Broad/Diamine Syrah

Finally took a picture of the comparison with alt goldgrun. Not perfect colorwise but shows their relationship. Written with a pilot 78G B nib in a dip pen holder, which didn't work too well, and swabbed with my finger. Given that the R&K was in a sample vial and the Stipula's bottle is really not conducive with finger swabbing, this is the best I could do.

Both colors are a bit brighter here than in life.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/willsw/RKSTP.jpg

Edited by WillSW

Hi,

Many thanks for the fine Review!

Up until quite recently, I've been a bit shy of colours such as this - I thought the last word was MB Racing Green, and I was prepared to leave it at that. Then I started looking at the Browns, and of course, some of those show some Green tinges; but the tipping point for me was the Sailor rikyu-cha. (OoooLaLa.) And I left that at one bottle, because I reckoned there were more different inks to be had of similar nature.

And now this. :bunny01:

Surrounded by enablers, I am!!

Harried

&

tempted.

:gaah:

OMG, sign me up for a pot!

(If I order today, it may be

waiting when/if I return

But, I do have to ask a rather indelicate, perhaps indiscreet personal question. (So if you do not choose to respond, that's OK. I've had it whispered in my ear that I can be a itty-bitty bit pushy.) But ... When you write with your normal cadence at speed, does the ink appear all so much different? Especially the shading with the narrower nibs?

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Finally took a picture of the comparison with alt goldgrun. Not perfect colorwise but shows their relationship. Written with a pilot 78G B nib in a dip pen holder, which didn't work too well, and swabbed with my finger. Given that the R&K was in a sample vial and the Stipula's bottle is really not conducive with finger swabbing, this is the best I could do.

Both colors are a bit brighter here than in life.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/willsw/RKSTP.jpg

Thank you for the image. I had seen some other scans of Alt Goldgrun that led me to believe it would be closer to Stip Verde.