Montblanc Ballpoint Pen Opinions?

JRCM

Ok I am looking a getting myself a high end ballpoint pen for everyday use. I am just curious how Montblanc pens are as far as durability of the twist mechanism and if the can stand up to lots of everyday use and if the resin they use can hold up to being dropped I have been know too accidently drop a pen when working and just want to make sure it wil not ruin it also how smoothly do they write as far as ballpoints are concerned?

Thanks any opinions would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks from John

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dapv

• JRCM

• flaneur

• drgt

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the black 164 and the burgundy 164R. I have had the burgundy one for 27 years and the black one for 20 years (resin where the cap threads into the barrel cracked and Montblanc replaced it for $10). I use their broad refills which give nice writing quality with nice control. I use these and a few Parker 51 ballpoints.

I try not to drop these, and haven't yet. $44 purchase cost in 1983, a lot more for MB to replace broken parts now. If you expect that you will inevitably drop your pens, maybe you shouldn't get in very deep.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

No problems with my 164 and Starwalker Black Mystery ballpoints. I use the broad blue refills and love the way they write and of course how they look. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

YAY I am happy I was on the Montblanc site and found one that should hold up to even my occassion drop the meisterstuck stainless steel II. After Christmas I know what I will be spending $650 on.

Solitaires are amongst the most beautiful pens imo. I have the original stainless steel 146 based fp and love it.

I had a Classique roller-ball and ball point for several years as a daily writer before the call of the fountain pen came to me. They still actually look and work quite well I was looking at them only yesterday.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

No problems with my 164 and Starwalker Black Mystery ballpoints. I use the broad blue refills and love the way they write and of course how they look. :thumbup:

+1

My parents both own Classique ballpoints that are at least 20 years old and still work as good as new. I have a metal and rubber Starwalker ballpoint that has held up very well after three years of heavy use.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

I am glad too hear that these pens last a long time. This and the companys loyal fan base is what made me pick Montblanc as my first highend pen.

Using a fountain pen as my daily writer, I have learned to carry a companion ballpoint as well so I can respond charitably to folks who ask to borrow my pen.

The Montblanc Meisterstuck ballpoints are well made with a smooth and defined one-handed twist. My Classique sized black resin and gold-plated trim ballpoint has been in my service for over twenty years - still looks and functions perfectly.

As others have mentioned, the Broad MB Ballpoint refills are smooth and long lasting. The Medium and Fine refills are less smooth to my hand.

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

Yeah smooth is what I am looking for so the broad point seems the way to go. I am just wondering though I would like to write a review of the pen here after I get it would that be allowed even though it is a ball point and not a fountain pen? I only ask because you have all been so helpfull and I would not want to upset anyone.

... I am just wondering though I would like to write a review of the pen here after I get it would that be allowed even though it is a ball point and not a fountain pen? ...

While the review forum is titled "Fountain Pen Reviews" the subheading (designed to explain further) reads "Pen Reviews Go Here." The reviews forum used to be led by Member MYU, but I think he is now an Admin. If you like, you could PM him for permission in advance. I think you'll be welcome to post your review - I'd certainly welcome it.

You will likely get a few comments whining that this is a fountain pen site (from one ebullient MB contributer in particular I predict), but if you shy away from rubbing anyone the wrong way, you will lead a mute and pointless life.

Go for it - show us why we all need to keep a good companion ballpoint handy - for all those pesky FedEx Airbills in carboned triplicate, for all the moocher penless hoards, and for those times you need to autograph a magazine cover or 8x10 glossy.

Edited by yachtsilverswan

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

To be honest, I'm not sure if resin can withstand a drop on a hard surface, at least not a great height. Saying that, I carry a Classique in my front pocket right pocket that also holds my phone and wallet. It's pretty robust, minimal starches and preforms as like the day I originally bought it.

Thanks I will go ahead a post a review when I get the pen. And in response to Nummies I agree resin would be a little weak so I am going with the all stainless steel model.

Have had several MB BPs, MPs, FPs, and leather accessories over the decades and continue to buy them for me and others. I mostly use broad and medium blue refills. I prefer the resin models. So ... yes a definite thumbup.gif . Go for it and enjoy. But, remember, buy from a reputable source.

CFTPM

The precious resin classique will break if it falls just right onto a hard surface, it is not indestructible. A coworker dropped it while standing and writing on a counter and broke one. But I would not shy away from owning one just because it is not unbreakable. I am more conscious of how I handle the pen when there is a hard floor rather than carpet. :yikes:

I have a black 164 that is still going strong after 15 years or so. But it gets less use than my FPs.

Regards, Stephen