The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Waterman Carene Glossy Red

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Legal Eagle

Legal Eagle

Tempura-Tamenuri

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:20

Purchased new from World Lux in Seattle for $219. The sales rep at World Lux was nice enough to test the pen for me; making sure the nib was smooth, cap was secure and the pen didn't skip. They also threw in an extra converter free of charge.
Upon first opening the box I was actually rather dissapointed at the colour of the pen. I'd been oggling this pen on a monitor that wasn't calibrated, it was showing me a bright cherry blossom red pen. What actually arrived was a feminine looking semi-metallic deep fuschia pen. In the last 6 hours I've grown a little more accustomed to it's girly hue and I'm hopefull that I'll eventually like the colour, or at least be able to use the pen without trying to avoid eye contact with it.

Presentation- 8/10

Nothing too special here. Just a silver box with some cartridges and warranty booklet. I took a minute to read the warranty booklet and was thinking that they should go into a little more detail for people who have never used a fountain pen before.

Fit & Finish- 10/10

The lacquer finish on this pen is really beautiful, it's oh so smooth and free from any imperfections. Even though I'm not entirey pleased with the fuschia colour I ended up with, I can honestly say that it is a pretty pen. If I were a lady looking for a modernish fountain pen this would be the one.
The tail peice on my Carene lines up perfectly with the nib, which is pretty much hit and miss on the Carene line of pens.The cap and clip both feel very secure; I have full confidence in thier longevity. Due to the brass body the Carene has a bit of weight to it which is perfect for me.

Nib- 8/10

I chose a fine point nib as most mediums lay down a line much to thick for my chicken scratch writing. The inset nib on the Waterman Carene is such a unique and cool looking nib. You really can't look at these hip space ship looking javelin pens without taking a second glance.
The nib on my Carene is relatively smooth. It's not as smooth as the Waterman Exception I used to own but pretty close. This one has just a hint of tooth to it, it's not unpleasant but I prefer my nibs to be buttery smooth.

Filling System- 10/10

Cartridge/Converter system on this baby. They don't hold as much ink as a MB149 or M1000 but they are definitely reliable and easily replaced if the converter goes kaputs.

Value- 10/10

This is one of the strong points of the Carene line. For $220 you'd be hard pressed to find another pen that looks as classy cool, writes as nice, or is as reliable as the Waterman Carene.

Overall Score- 46/50

Now for the Photos!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Current Favourites

Pen- Pilot Custom 74  

Ink- J.Herbin Emerald of Chivor

Sponsored Content

#2 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,503 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2010 - 14:44

OH NO! I can't see the pics at school. Oh well, can't wait to get home, then.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#3 Legal Eagle

Legal Eagle

Tempura-Tamenuri

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2010 - 17:10

I should add that the pics are showing the colour of the pen to be just a little darker than it actually is. I really need to buy a DSLR camera!

Current Favourites

Pen- Pilot Custom 74  

#4 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,503 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:47

That is a really nice pen, and ouch whatta watch! I've got an old Bulova/Accutron Railroad wristwatch from the late 80s early 90s that a friend gave me.

I think you should use the mess outta that pen. It's just too cool.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#5 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 15:27

the carene is on my short list of pens to get next year. :)

#6 impossiblebird

impossiblebird

Everything stops for tea

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2010 - 20:39

I love Waterman Carene FPs; reading reviews from users who are equally enamoured of them always gives me a nice warm glow.

I almost bought one of these glossy red ones myself; it seemed on my monitor to be a brighter red, but I realised just in time that it was the same garnet colour as my matt finish one... but glossy. I want them to issue a glossy poppy red Carene!

#7 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,646 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:01

this is really a nice looking pen. thx for the review!

and on my screen it now looks red!! :hmm1: i can see why you went for it when you saw it.

#8 Legal Eagle

Legal Eagle

Tempura-Tamenuri

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:18

After owning this thing for about 1 week I have decided that I will not keep it. I'm going to give it to my girlfriend.

Current Favourites

Pen- Pilot Custom 74  

#9 Orange25

Orange25

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2010 - 19:23

Love the Carene. I have one in glossy black with a broad nib, and I think it's gorgeous. Wonderful writer.

I'm considering the one in blue, but with a medium nib.

#10 lewis

lewis

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2010 - 20:35

the Carene is a true heavy weight in the fountain pen arena. A fantastic pen and great value for money. Every collector should have one.
Fountain pens aren't a collection, it's an insatiable obsession!

Shotokan Karate: Respect, Etiquette, Discipline, Perseverance

#11 Keith E Bartlett

Keith E Bartlett

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:27

Hi,
Nice review of the red Carene pen you purchased but a shame you're not keeping it for yourself.
I have a complete set in Marine Amber that I purchased when they first came out and they look as good today as they
did back then (over ten years ago). The fountain pen writes so smooth (fine nib) and I've never had any problems with skipping etc. I use a converter and although it doesn't hold as much ink as a cartridge, refilling this pen is with the ink bottle is like a ritual and part of owning a quality fountain pen.
The shaped end of the barrel by the way can be adjusted to line up with the nib should it ever get out of line. There is a round, brass adjuster at the end of the nib unit and you can turn it either way to line up the end of the barrel. It takes a few goes but gets there in the end.
Anyway,Kind regards,
Keith E Bartlett

#12 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2011 - 17:41

I love Waterman Carene FPs; reading reviews from users who are equally enamoured of them always gives me a nice warm glow.

I almost bought one of these glossy red ones myself; it seemed on my monitor to be a brighter red, but I realised just in time that it was the same garnet colour as my matt finish one... but glossy. I want them to issue a glossy poppy red Carene!

Sounds like the one I have. I call it tomato red but I'm not sure what the Official Name is.

Mine is quite glossy. But if by 'glossy' you mean semi-frosted... actually the OP's pen looks pearlized, too.

#13 krokens

krokens

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2011 - 21:33

I've got a Carene exactly like this for Christmas. I really love it. This is my first Waterman and I am very impressed about the smoothness of the nib and the overall quality. Since Christmas is almos the only one pen that I'm using everyday.

#14 impossiblebird

impossiblebird

Everything stops for tea

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:19

Sounds like the one I have. I call it tomato red but I'm not sure what the Official Name is.

Mine is quite glossy. But if by 'glossy' you mean semi-frosted... actually the OP's pen looks pearlized, too.

It does look pearlised in the photos, but that may be down to the camera; I didn't really mean pearlised. Comparing matt to glossy is like comparing the flat colour on paper to that same colour in glAss, so the gloss/glAss adds something on its own... what to call it... texture? Tomatoes can tend towards pink or orange tones, so I don't know what you mean by tomato red. Poppies have a definite slight tendency towards orange, and that's what I'd like. The matt red Carene is well-named garnet red, as it tends towards pink. The Pilot Capless/VP 2009 vivid red is proper RED red to me, so I mean something with a wee smidge more orange in it, innit? :blink: ;) Cheers!

#15 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2011 - 14:42

It does look pearlised in the photos, but that may be down to the camera; I didn't really mean pearlised. Comparing matt to glossy is like comparing the flat colour on paper to that same colour in glAss, so the gloss/glAss adds something on its own... what to call it... texture? Tomatoes can tend towards pink or orange tones, so I don't know what you mean by tomato red. Poppies have a definite slight tendency towards orange, and that's what I'd like. The matt red Carene is well-named garnet red, as it tends towards pink. The Pilot Capless/VP 2009 vivid red is proper RED red to me, so I mean something with a wee smidge more orange in it, innit? :blink: ;) Cheers!

My Carene is fairly poppy-ish.

Was the Official Color Name Coral? Might be.

#16 impossiblebird

impossiblebird

Everything stops for tea

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2011 - 19:45

My Carene is fairly poppy-ish.

Was the Official Color Name Coral? Might be.

Aaaah! There is a Coral, although I think of that one as orange, if a slightly dull orange. I have one, and like it very much. I was thinking a lot closer to red... it's so subjective... a red with just enough orange in it to make it go pop! No pun intended. The sort of pop! I'm red a crew of poppies shout at you in a green, green field. :cloud9:

Maybe it's more of an impression, than an absolute hue.

#17 mbradley

mbradley

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:43

Nice pen and a very nice Accutron, pens and watches and never enough spare cash :}

#18 Henry_CZ

Henry_CZ

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:45

thanks for review:)! i really like this pen... im just waiting for my own Carene (laque black st), bought yesterday:)

#19 latekkies

latekkies

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:49

Nice Review. I got a Waterman Carene Deluxe Fine Nib for Christmas and the the same Accutron automatic watch - I am wearing it this very minute. The Carene is my best writing fountain amoungst my 50 or so fountain pens. My Pilot VP / Fermo / Decimo, Sailor 1911, Montblanc 146, Waterman Charleston and my Delta Dolce Vida come in at the next tier of smoothness.

In addition, I love the look of the Carene. It is very fluid and Waterman does make a beautiful pen.

Enjoy.

#20 Surf Monkey

Surf Monkey

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2011 - 22:18

Nice review. This helped me decide to buy a Carene Deluxe SE.

Love the watch. I'm a watch collector and I have two of the Accutron Gemini models. I've got the 26C01 like yours and the 26C02 in black. Both are excellent ETA 7750 based chronos. If I didn't have such a hard time getting my Omega Planet Ocean off my wrist I'd wear the Geminis more. When I do I really like them.

Sponsored Content

|