The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Lamy 2000 Vs Pelikan M200

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#61 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 17:28

nice review and pics!
thanks!
Cogito ergo sum

Sponsored Content

#62 ghorn11

ghorn11

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2011 - 15:51

Thank you for the review and for all the comments, I was debating these two pens as well. Seems as though the L2K is in the running for my second FP!!

#63 Moppeh

Moppeh

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 00:14

Thanks for the great comparison! I agree, though, that it really comes down to looks. I would never buy a lamy 2000 just because I do not like its utilitarian, modern look. But I can definitely see how it would appeal to some people.

I think that's what really cool about these two pens--two very comparable options for an entry-level piston filler, and yet covering a wide variety of tastes.
Currently using: pelikan 320 + sheaffer balance

#64 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:26

Thank you for the review and for all the comments, I was debating these two pens as well. Seems as though the L2K is in the running for my second FP!!

So did you get a L2K ?

Thanks for the great comparison! I agree, though, that it really comes down to looks. I would never buy a lamy 2000 just because I do not like its utilitarian, modern look. But I can definitely see how it would appeal to some people.

I think that's what really cool about these two pens--two very comparable options for an entry-level piston filler, and yet covering a wide variety of tastes.

You got it, these two pens are good for everyday pens to everyone from the new guy on the block to one that has been using FP's for years.
Respect to all

#65 bk123

bk123

Long Live FPN

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:09

Thank you for such a nice review,

By the way I am wondering from where will I get Lamy 2000 under $100?

"It's simple to be happy but difficult to be simple"

#66 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:03

Thank you for such a nice review,

By the way I am wondering from where will I get Lamy 2000 under $100?

Not any more.
When this review was writen these pens could be bought for 89$ but prices went up since then.
Sorry.
Respect to all

#67 MME

MME

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 17:31

Hi,if anyone knows i want to ask if Pelikan M200 has a bit of flex or the nib is hard like Parker Jotter for example.
Best regards!

#68 Bigeddie

Bigeddie

Must not purchase more ink.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2012 - 21:24

It has a bit of spring to it, the steel M200 nibs more so than the gold M400's.
For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

#69 MME

MME

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 16:44

Thank you Ed for answering me.I want a new workhorse (Pel M200) so that's why i asked.My current workhorse is a Reform 1745 but is too old and antique and is outworn.It skips and is very dry.If the nib of M200 is so flexible as my old Reform is enough for me.So i'll go for the M200 soon.Thanks again for advice.

Edited by MME, 03 March 2012 - 16:46.

#70 DET

DET

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2012 - 17:59

1330793062[/url]' post='2269977']

Thank you Ed for answering me.I want a new workhorse (Pel M200) so that's why i asked.My current workhorse is a Reform 1745 but is too old and antique and is outworn.It skips and is very dry.If the nib of M200 is so flexible as my old Reform is enough for me.So i'll go for the M200 soon.Thanks again for advice.

Having used both, I would say the m200 nibs are not as flexible as the Reform 1745's. You can get quite a bit of line variation out of a 1745, and little from an m200, in my experience.

#71 MME

MME

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 18:29

[quote/]Having used both, I would say the m200 nibs are not as flexible as the Reform 1745's. You can get quite a bit of line variation out of a 1745, and little from an m200, in my experience. [/quote]

No problem if the M200 has less flexible than a Reform 1745.What i want from a workhorse is:
-to be like a friend,always be with you for better or worse;
-to do a good job,not to leave when you are in hard moments,like i was today at Biology Olympiad in my country,when my Reform skiped a lot;
a nice not too dry but rather a wet line;
-to be sturdy,strong,durable,resistant....whatever;

Edited by MME, 03 March 2012 - 18:48.

#72 DET

DET

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2012 - 20:02

1330799387[/url]' post='2270099']

Having used both, I would say the m200 nibs are not as flexible as the Reform 1745's. You can get quite a bit of line variation out of a 1745, and little from an m200, in my experience.

No problem if the M200 has less flexible than a Reform 1745.What i want from a workhorse is:
-to be like a friend,always be with you for better or worse;
-to do a good job,not to leave when you are in hard moments,like i was today at Biology Olympiad in my country,when my Reform skiped a lot;
a nice not too dry but rather a wet line;
-to be sturdy,strong,durable,resistant....whatever;

All that describes the m200. You may want to look at the m215 as well. You lose the ink window, but the m215's a bit heftier and sturdier feeling than the m200, in my opinion.

#73 MME

MME

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 20:11

You may want to look at the m215 as well. You lose the ink window,

Hhhhhm,if you loose ink window,how do you know how much ink you have left?I can't leave home without knowing how much ink i've got left.I guess there must be a secret...

#74 DET

DET

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2012 - 22:31

1330805471[/url]' post='2270196']

You may want to look at the m215 as well. You lose the ink window,

Hhhhhm,if you loose ink window,how do you know how much ink you have left?I can't leave home without knowing how much ink i've got left.I guess there must be a secret...

Well, you have two choices there: you can always refill before you leave home and, because piston fillers hold so much ink, there is very little chance you'd run out during the day (unless you write a LOT each day), or do what I do, which is carry more than one pen with you. If one runs out of ink, you switch to another.

#75 MME

MME

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:52

Well, you have two choices there: you can always refill before you leave home and, because piston fillers hold so much ink, there is very little chance you'd run out during the day (unless you write a LOT each day), or do what I do, which is carry more than one pen with you. If one runs out of ink, you switch to another.

I understand,but the M200 attracts me more.I like it very much.It have a nice wet line and it is perfect for me.Thanks for advices.

Edited by MME, 04 March 2012 - 06:55.

#76 imadeadend

imadeadend

Fine Nib Addicted

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:46

Thanks for the comparison. I have a 2000 and am looking at buying that exact Pelikan (if the seller would contact me back that is :rolleyes:) If I understand correctly, the L2K has a PLATINUM coated nib.

EDIT: From Lamy themselves: "Fountain pen with piston operated filling system for LAMY ink T 51 and T 52. 14 ct gold nib, platinum coated, hand polished."

I didn't know it was hand polished, a definite "luxury" nib in my opinion :cloud9:

Edited by imadeadend, 09 March 2012 - 02:48.

Visit my blog Pentorium!

#77 Vpen

Vpen

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2015 - 00:29

I should have read this review before buying M200. I have got big hands and the pen is suitable for small to medium hands.

#78 Goldenfiredrake

Goldenfiredrake

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2016 - 23:57

As someone who is trying to only buy one pen in 2016 (lol that's not going to work), I have narrowed my decisions to these two pens. I have heard that there is a very precise "sweet spot" on the Lamy 2000. Would you say that this would be a big problematic for someone who tends to roll their hand as they write?

#79 LadyS

LadyS

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:27

As someone who is trying to only buy one pen in 2016 (lol that's not going to work), I have narrowed my decisions to these two pens. I have heard that there is a very precise "sweet spot" on the Lamy 2000. Would you say that this would be a big problematic for someone who tends to roll their hand as they write?

I'd say so, yes. Goulet did a video on that, you should definitely look that up on YouTube! But in short, the 2000 requires a precise grip so to say, which is what many mean by "sweet spot ". The tipping isn't round, but kind of flat, not a stub though. Round tipping (as usually found nowadays on all standard nibs except the old style on the 2k) is more forgiving to rotating, so maybe the better choice for your writing.

#80 max dog

max dog

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,621 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:54

When this thread appeared a few years ago I recall I just started using the M200 and I got the L2K for comparison. After a few months with both pens, the Lamy went packing (gave it away to a friend) cause I didn't like the less forgiving narrow sweet spot of the L2K fine nib. Found myself contantly having to correct my gtip on the pen. The M200 on the other hand wrote just as nicely but was much more forgiving. A better writing experience without the quirkiness of the L2K. My Pelikans multiplied to the M400 and M600.

Fast forward 3 or 4 years and I came across a great deal on a new L2K with a medium nib online. Waiting delivery of it to give this pen another chance with a wider nib. After using italics for a while I am better at maintaining a consistent nib orientation, so hopefully I will have a better experience with this pen this time around. Will report back when my pen arrives and I've had a chance to write with it again.

Edited by max dog, 05 January 2016 - 10:01.

Sponsored Content

|