Lamy 2000 Vs Pelikan M200

goodguy

In the UK at least, the 2000 is more than twice the price of a M200, e.g. £116 vs £52 at The Writing Desk! Are they really the same price in the U.S. :yikes: Over here, the M400, or maybe an M200 with gold nib would be more on a level.

John

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• watch_art

• MME

• DET

Top Posters In This Topic

Far Eastern vendors have L- 2000 at your price-point....Pel M200 clear blu with a polished steel italic nib is also a consideration...at < 80$.I like the easy nib swap Pel for that reason only. The 2000 is just so smooth...I use a broad nib all day in mine. If u haven't been to the gym in a while, the "twislestick" will give you all you can handle...it's humongous size coupled with it's off balancing act is not my c-o-t. I'm also wondering about it's longevity...if you break it down to flush out every last drop... every time you handle those parts...there are skin oils that take a ride on those parts...hum.

I wouldn't go so far as to say TWSBI is better than the L2K, but it is VERY nice. Just a shame it doesn't post nicely.

I fully agree, but for the price it is the best buy I can see at the moment. You can have it for $40 and given the size you do not really need to post it. It does not post comfortably for me either.

In my current rotation:

Pelikan 400 Brown Tortoise/14K Fine/J. Herbin Cafe des Iles

Lamy 2000/14K Medium/Lamy Blue-Black

Sailor 1911 Large burgundy/21K Naginata Togi Medium/Diamine Oxblood

Montblanc 146/14K Fine/Montblanc Racing Green

Rosetta blue/Steel Pendelton cursive italic/Pelikan Royal Blue

Delta Passion/18K Broad/Diamine Syrah

This is a nice review of two workhorse pens.

A M200 replaced my lost M250 :crybaby: and got me through the second half of university until I replaced it's nib with a 14K nib. Still have the pen. The only reason I replace the steel nibs is the plating. Don't like the look of a well worn, no longer gold plated steel nib.

I do love the OM nib of my favourite L2K. It's one of my best nibs. Wet, buttery smooth and springy. IMO the L2K is the very pen if you are looking for a high quality affordable piston filler with a 14K nib. The only downside is the slippery section. This is the reason why I prefer using the Pelikan (vintage, M400, M2xx).

It's easy to replace the nib of a L2K. It's basically the same than the Lamy 27. I disassemble both pens when I receive them (my L2Ks are pre owned) and switch nibs once in a while.

Edited by piembi

In my opinion the L2K has a wonderful feature: its "tactile" feedback. I mean the makrolon stuff. It's outstanding an unique, not slippery, not rough, perfect !! :notworthy1:

I miss a larger ink window and a sleek-threaded cap. Then it could easily become my favourite pen.

Just my 2cents.

Edited by Faulkner

Amir: Thank you for writing probably one of the most relevant articles published on FPN in years. Too bad the review index is in absolute chaos. Otherwise, I'd put this right at the top.

Edited by ToasterPastry

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/ToasterPastryphoto/pop.jpg

Follow me on Twitter!

Read my silly blog!

[...] Too bad the review index is in absolute chaos. [...]

It's a pity that review index is in absolute chaos indeed!! :unsure:

Can someone please tell me what you mean by "posting"?

Be kind to strangers as you may be entertaining angels unawares.

Forgiveness is the scent of the violet on the heel that crushed it.

fpn_1303938288__hp_inkdrop.jpg

Putting the cap on the bottom of the pen is posting.

Ahhh..thank you - what an interesting term for it

Be kind to strangers as you may be entertaining angels unawares.

Forgiveness is the scent of the violet on the heel that crushed it.

fpn_1303938288__hp_inkdrop.jpg

my take:

lamy is more bang for your buck

pel is more bling for your buck

chose accordingly.

I would gladly recommend the lamy over the old m600 I had. and not just "for the money", but in absolute terms. that it costs considerably less is just a bonus.

I just have 2 questions in this comparison:

1. Which nib is smoother? Pelikan or Lamy?

2. Which nib gives greater line variation? Pelikan or Lamy?

Everything else seem subjective as to which is better. In Canada, the LAMY 2000 retails for $220 compared to $120 of the M200, so I can forgive the M200 for being a steel nib vs the 14K nib of the Lamy. But the smoothness and line variation to me would determine the better pen.

From my experience, they're both nearly equally smooth. A lot of that depends on the ink you're using and the paper you're writing on. A smooth pen can feel toothy on certain papers, even more so with certain inks. I think it all comes down to which pen you'd rather look at and hold when you're writing or drawing. And for me, it's the l2k. But the pel 200 I had was that fugly blue stuff, if I had had a black one, I probably wouldn't have sold it.

I just have 2 questions in this comparison:

1. Which nib is smoother? Pelikan or Lamy?

2. Which nib gives greater line variation? Pelikan or Lamy?

Everything else seem subjective as to which is better. In Canada, the LAMY 2000 retails for $220 compared to $120 of the M200, so I can forgive the M200 for being a steel nib vs the 14K nib of the Lamy. But the smoothness and line variation to me would determine the better pen.

I live in Canada too and for me retail prices are not an issue as I will not buy any pen in Canada!!!

Why would I pay double for a same pen I can get from online from stores like pen gallery, I sell pen, Oscar Brown, Pen Time...etc

Online the price difference between the two pens is 20$ so money is not an issue to me in this case.

Which nib is smoother ?

As I said they are equaly smooth only the Lamy's nib has much more feedback.

Line variation ?

Both nibs are stiff so I think you should consider other pens if flexiblily is what you aiming for.

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

• 2 weeks later...

By line variation I mean springiness. My M200 fine nib exhibits springiness, more so than a lot of nibs in it's price range, yielding a small amount of line variation and shading to slight pressure when writing giving some character. Is the Lamy nib springy too?

my 14k lamy xf nib is pretty stiff. i aquired a steel xf nib (more of xxf) for this pen which is QUITE soft. quite a bit of line variation if i push gently. Pretty cool. i'll upload scans later. tomorrow when the kids are napping perhaps.

Does anybody know how the M200, M205 and M250 compare in terms of weight?

200 - 13 grams

205 - 16 grams

250 - 25 grams

(according to my sources) also the 200 is nice hair thinner than the 205. (IMHO).

@ general thread: i find lamy nibs to write better than pelikan ( at least the 2xx series ) nibs.

also, the 2000 is painfully large in hand, comparatively.

Long live Lamy 2000!

p.s.It would be awesome if Richard Binder sells them!

Edited by coppilcus