What Is Your "grail Pen"?

mongrelnomad

I'm not sure what my grail pen is any more. I had thought maybe a Pilot Falcon but now I have an old Ropex Ultraflex so I don't know that I need the Falcon. I think anymore I'd be happy to get me Parker Lucky Curve repaired. I like the weight and girth of it I think it would be really nice to write with.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SpecTP

• alvarez57

• pajaro

• sirgilbert357

Help! :blush:

I lost my grail pen...

Many grail pens ago! :lol:

Ahab begat Kakuno begat Safari begat 823 begat 52...

I think a "Grail pen" may be influenced by varying degrees of "Unobtainum", and for some that may be a dictating factor, but not for all.

My "Grail Pen" is:

1. A "lifetime" pen.
  2. EDC capable: Not necessarily small, though manageable enough (around a Sailor 1911L, Aurora 88 size or less)
    • I'd prefer it to be able to use the ultimate EDC ink Sailor Kiwa-Guro, though not necessarily cuz a life without my Iroshizuku's would be sad indeed.
  3. One that I can use for Long Writing Sessions.
    • What I would expect from even a $5 pen.
  4. One that resonates quality: Nib, performance, comfort, writing experience, and descent aesthetics.
    • This is where some degree of "Unobtanium" comes into play, though more like "Work-to-obtainum".

... and all this so I can sit down and ease into the pen that eases into me, for to let go back to my breath's truest voice for to speak out my heart and soul upon the paper...

...then that is "Grail" enough for me.

But nothing can do that like a "Grail Fountain Pen" can.

Pilot Custom Urushi is my Grail pen. Coz once u have it, this is what u feel

- you can not ask for a bigger nib

- you can not ask for smoother nib

These are the 2 attributes that I care about, so I will not be tempted by some other pen in that class. In addition, you get the Ebonite and Urushi as a bonus with the amazing nib.

As for daily take to work horse pen, I use Sailor 1911L or the pro gear realo sigma

Classic LB5

or

Nakaya Decapod

or

Conid Bulkfiller

I don't hate the idea of a Pelican M1000 or a MB 149. There's a reason they are classic - if not the de facto 'grail pen' - choice for many.

But I'll settle right now for a Sailor King Of Pen or even a 1911 Large.

I think I have mine now - Lamy 2000 - I liked the looks of it but worried about the "firehose nature" of the beast. I bought one with a B nib and it was a gusher. I just did a trade for one with an F nib and I think it's the one.

A Nakaya Decapod is my current grail pen, but I am pretty sure that once I get one that I will just find a new grail pen to lust for.

Not one grail pen but if i had to limit them in 4 they would be:

1) omas paragon arco brown (the vintage/smaller one)

2) Namiki yukari nightline raden

3) Aurora optima azzurra

4) Waterman ideal with full flex needlepoint pink nib

I have collected nearly 50 vintage and newer Parkers, a dozen Sheaffers, and a dozen pens of various other brands, but I keep gravitating to using the 'top line' pens more. After a decade of collecting, I find that I would like one example of Parker's flagship models. I could sell off everything else and end my collection with these nine pens with no regrets. I don't know that I would prefer one over the others.

1. Parker Duofold in "Big Red" - Own
  2. Parker Vaccumatic Maxima in Golden Brown - I own a Major
  3. Parker 51 Vacumatic fill with Blue Diamond in Burgandy with gold fill cap - Still looking.
  4. Parker 51 Aerometric fill in Cedar Blue with Lustroy cap. - Own
  5. Parker 61 in Turquois with a gold heritage cap - Still looking, I own one in black with a lustroy cap.
  6. Parker 75 in Cisele - Still looking
  7. Parker Sonnet in Laque Ocean Blue with 18k nib - Own
  8. Duofold Centennial in Black and Pearl - I need a better job to own this one
  9. Parker Premier in Brown and Rose Gold - Own
Edited by ParkersAndPaper

Owner of many fine Parker fountain pens... and one Lamy.

I'l have a Conid Kingsize (once they return the CAISO cap shut off system), model K_DCB_DB_FT_TI with a 14k gold medium nib. Just one, please. Thank you very much.

Next on my list is a wancher dream pen urushi because of how well they're treating me with restoring my old WWII pen for free

Followed by a conid kingsize.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

One of these days I'll own a Montblanc.

No rush. Modern "standard" ones made in the last 30 years are more status emblems than anything else.

I recommend you go used. I enjoy my early 90's 149 at the price I paid. I'd have felt severe remorse buying one new.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

(Despite a few issues I've posted about) I think I've just bought mine: a Pilot Custom 823 with FA nib and ebonite feed. The filling system is amazing, looks great, and the nib is a dream. Now if only I could get it 2mm thicker all around and covered in urushi...

I have my grail pen, a Parker 51 Demi in plum. Perfect color, perfect shape, perfect feel in the hand, perfect writing experience.

The holy grail doesn't exist,

And there you have it.

Add lightness and simplicate.

My most desired is a Nakaya Rising Dragon, with an exquisite CI nib. I don't think I would ever spend that much, but the temptation is strong. I know it would write beautifully. And, the feel and look would be stunning. It may be better to leave this grail dream to my imagination while writing with my lesser, though still superb, Nakayas.

Not too far behind is the Pelikan Toledo in silver.

Well, I have a desire for a grail pen (in the sense I would probably stop looking for other pens) and, as others said, it doesn't exist.

I'd like a @fountainbel's recreation of a Montblanc 136, maybe 138, only slightly longer, with the best flexible nib from that house and era, shaped as medium right-foot oblique.

Well, in that case I'll have a Conid Kingsize Ebonite Minimalistica, #6 Ti 0.6 CI nib.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.