The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Move Over, Montblanc

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Fuddlestack

Fuddlestack

I enjoy defeating inanimate objects

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:54

Well, I'll admit that it was somewhat tongue-in-cheek1, but I have a bee in my Phrygian bonnet just now about pens that should write straight out of the box but don't. Not that MBs won't or VPs don't; I have nothing against those particular brands that the re-introduction of sumptuary laws wouldn't cover, but it has struck me very forcibly lately that a lot of modern stuff is simply the produce of marketing oicks sitting round walnut tables and working out what the punters will spring for next. I get the impression that most of the pricey ones are intended for people who only need them to sign cheques.

Be that as it may, I don't want to spoil anyone's fun or denigrate anyone's pride & joy. I would, however, encourage people to look at every new offering from the previously great names with just a little bit of scepticism. I'm reminded of a BC cartoon: "What's new about this year's wheel? Hey, we have some great new colours."

Anyway, have fun is the first and greatest commandment in this particular obsession, so do what thou wilt2. I shall now end my homily before it grits. ;)

1. "Whose tongue, whose cheek?" she asked innocently... - Joe Korzeniowski, from Mallory Lets his Cigar Go Out.
2. This footnote intentionally omitted

Edited by Fuddlestack, 26 November 2010 - 09:09.

When you're good at it, it's really miserable.

Sponsored Content

#22 Fuddlestack

Fuddlestack

• Member - Gold

• 1,108 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:04

That element of the British sense of humour, where one thing is said and another meant, is sadly not a good traveller. Kilts of course are universally hilarious.

John

A government minister here once observed that the only way to administer culture to the French people was par voie anale (a purely suppository hypothesis). If the British sense of humour require similar methods, so be it. That which is gold also clysters.

As to the kilt, watch it mate - I'm half Scots. ;)

#23 nscampos

nscampos

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:21

Fuddlestack, you shouldn't play with religion.

Montblanc... :notworthy1:

#24 encremental

encremental

sprightly

• Member - Gold

• 1,325 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:25

Well, I do hope you wear the front half, Fuddlestack.

John

#25 epo

epo

A stranger in a strange land

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:35

Everyone has their preferences and no ones opinion is worth more than any other regarding which brand is best. I can't imagine the cheap pen you've described is anyway comparable to a MB, similarly to my Ford Focus being comparable to an Italian sports car.

You might want to rethink that analogy, I bet I know which car is most reliable, spends less time with the mechanic and is easier to drive in town :-)

#26 Fuddlestack

Fuddlestack

• Member - Gold

• 1,108 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:54

Well, I do hope you wear the front half, Fuddlestack.

John

The top half, but I have a very large sporran and Helly Hansen dunghampers.

#27 carlc

carlc

Just fitting in.

• Member - Gold

• 1,154 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:35

my Phrygian bonnet

Half Scottish and half Smurf?
"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch" Orson Welles

#28 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,269 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 13:29

Have they shot this new Bic pen through a board yet, like the original BP?

I have been advised that MB just don't shoot good out of a rifle, the rifling eats precious resin. How ever Purdey has agreed to make me a shot gun to fit my MB, so we will see if MB can be shot out of a shotgun, and through a board.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#29 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,043 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2010 - 15:30

I can't imagine the cheap pen you've described is anyway comparable to a MB, similarly to my Ford Focus being comparable to an Italian sports car.

Ford Focus = Ferrari Enzo. Observe:
- Four wheels with rubber tires
- Makes a loud noise in operation (relatively loud, compared to the shouting of trees)
- May be had in red
- Is theoretically meant to move people from one place to another faster than walking
- "Theoretically" as breakdowns are not unknown
- Is slower than a fighter jet.

I imagine I can do a similar thing with an MB of any price and the thing I've currently got in my pocket ;)

edit-- AH HAH! I've remembered the answer to my question from the first page! It's a Stypen!

Edited by Ernst Bitterman, 26 November 2010 - 15:31.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

#30 wpb

wpb

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2010 - 16:17

Why can't we all just use Esties, the way we were supposed to?

I agree!

Bill

#31 alvarez57

alvarez57

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2010 - 19:33

A government minister here once observed that the only way to administer culture to the French people was par voie anale (a purely suppository hypothesis). If the British sense of humour require similar methods, so be it. That which is gold also clysters.

Brilliant!!!!

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

#32 Gobblecup

Gobblecup

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 20:39

This post is one of the most intelligent posts on any forum I have ever read!

Fuddlestack, I suspected your humor but I had to make my point just in case you had fallen off our merry ship to the deep end... Please excuse my hard head, I am nearly half German! :blush:

I do see your point about advertising with pens (or anything these days for that matter!), but of all pens that may be over priced and underdeveloped I think the VP is both a very inventive pen and a well priced one in comparison to the hordes of pens with a retail of $500+! :blink: :thumbup:
Gobblecup ~

#33 Fuddlestack

Fuddlestack

• Member - Gold

• 1,108 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:44

This post is one of the most intelligent posts on any forum I have ever read!

Fuddlestack, I suspected your humor but I had to make my point just in case you had fallen off our merry ship to the deep end... Please excuse my hard head, I am nearly half German! :blush:

I do see your point about advertising with pens (or anything these days for that matter!), but of all pens that may be over priced and underdeveloped I think the VP is both a very inventive pen and a well priced one in comparison to the hordes of pens with a retail of $500+! :blink: :thumbup:

I take your point, but since Bic make their Screw-Up (was that the name?) pen I was more or less obliged to include it as the nearest comparison. I could have had a dig at the Lamy Dialog but it slipped my mind, and anyway it hasn't got the same aura. Please take it as poetic licence.

Sponsored Content

|