Any Luck Removing Platinum Preppy Labeling?

Basset

Finally got around to trying out a Platinum Pretty. I like it (a nice bit of give on the M nib) but would enjoy the transparent barrel a lot more if it were free of the label, bar code, etc.

Has anyone had any luck removing that labeling without scratching the barrel or clouding it?

Searched the Board but did not see any references. Thanks.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcwaites

• viclip

• eli

• Donald2

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I forgot what I used but you can rub it off. Try rubbing alcohol if you have it. You can also use your fingernail, it's slow but will work eventually.

I have used both cooking oil (canola or equivalent) and margarine to remove some kinds of label goo. Never tried it on a pen. It worked like a charm on a glossy covered paperback book, and on several plastic kitchen items.

Try it at your own risk. I suspect it would be safer than alcohol or nail polish remover (acetone).

Good luck!

I don't know that anyone (including me) has been able to remove the markings on a Platinum Preppy without abrasives.

If anyone has, don't hide your light under a bushel, let us all know...

OTOH, the nail buffing kits (various levels of abrasive, down to shiny) do seem to work reasonably well. Just don't use your SO's without her/his permission, buy your own.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I've used naphtha on perhaps hundreds of items, including many plastics, to remove labels and their adhesives, grease pencil markings, etc, for photography but you've got to be able to get to the adhesive side for it to work, by soaking through paper or removing the top, protective layer. My experience is it was used in many commercial photography studios and was considered to be pretty safe.

Peanut butter is also good, if you can get at the adhesive layers.

The labeling on Platinum Preppys is not paper stuck on with adhesive. It is a kind of paint.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Actually, I found it wore off on it's own with the F nibbed pens and required a bit of work with the M nibbed. I took a credit card and was able to scrape off the paint without much effort. It took a bit of time, but it's the best way I've found since it requires no chemicals or clean up and doesn't scratch the body of the pen.

burningdarkness here on FPN told me to use dot 3 brake fluid, but I was too lazy to go buy a bottle so used the edge of an old CD instead. I might have scratched it a teensy bit but it's good enough for me. :rolleyes:

Realize that conventional brake fluid is alcohol based. While it will remove paint including automotive lacquer, it may also have an adverse effect on plastics used in pens. Thus the same caution is in order when considering using alcohol-based brake fluid as for wood alcohol, rubbing alcohol or any other member of the alcohol family. I've seen for example what rubbing alcohol does to certain clear plastic Pelikan parts, it's not pretty.

Edited by viclip

Stories of peoples' Preppys' labeling coming off after a few day's use- well let's just say they've had a different experience than me. My Preppy that I got last Christmas still held on to its labeling until I finally decided to scratch it off... and dangggggggg :o That took a lot of fingernail scraping D:

The above shall not be construed as legal advice under any circumstances

Has anyone tried using automotive clear plastic lens cleaner/polisher with flannel rags or gun bore patches to remove the labels in question? If the labeling is painted on, same will eventually come off with the application of elbow grease, you'll notice paint transferring onto the rag or patch. This is a great activity to engage in while watching TV.

• 1 year later...

ANSWER: (for the benefit of those who find this old thread via Google)

Rubbing alcohol with a paper towel does a great job of removing the lettering. It takes a bit of rubbing but it works. It will not cloud the clear plastic.

NOTE: Before or right after you use the alcohol on the Preppy you *must* separate the section and body of the pen until the alcohol is all evaporated. Perhaps even give them a rinse. If you do not the pen may be WELDED shut and you will never be able to open it again. On my first try the pen was so securely sealed that the pen body shattered before the threads let loose. I used increasingly more serious tools and more force until I had a pair of Vise-Grips on each half.

Thanks for posting that! It's nice when you have the items handy around the house already... instead of going out to buy something specifically for Preppy label removal.

My Preppies are still my most reliable pens. I fill em up as eyedroppers & can go for months w/o the least bit of attention, maintenance, babying of any kind. :cloud9:

• 2 years later...

I just tried removing the label with some Comet bathroom cleaner. Comet is a fine abrasive like headlight cleaner. It's polish, really. It worked like a charm. I simply dumped a little into my bathroom sink and used a piece of synthetic chamois I had lying around. I moistened the chamois a bit so that it would pick up the Comet. I dabbed up the Comet from the sink and rubbed it onto the writing on the pen. With a bit of "thumb grease," as opposed to elbow grease, the writing came off. A bit of work but in five minutes it was all off. Rinse with water and dry and you are in business. Hope that this helps!

I use a mild abrasive polish to get the paint off, automotive glass cleaner works well and gets it off pretty quickly. It will leave the plastic cloudy so then I polish it with plastic polish like Meguiars Plastx.

• 4 months later...

Winsor & Newton Brush Cleaner and Restorer. Worked perfectly without clouding the barrel, ..and is great to have if you're a painter anyway. It's so good at removing paint (all without damaging plastic, mind you) that it'll take your nail polish off, strip your paintbrush handles, and discolor your Ikea desk if you spill any. So, don't get it near anything from which you DON'T want paint removed.

Unfortunately, I immediately dropped my pen in the sink while rinsing the residue off, and cracked the cap... From a height of 6 inches. ARGH.

(EDIT: Nope, nope, nevermind. It seemed like it was working at first, but the plastic clouded up later and felt kind of rough. Guess this specific plastic does NOT like W&N Brush Cleaner after all)

Edited by TeaHive