Pelikan Edelstein Topaz

Sandy1

Thanks for another grand showcase review, Sandy! Topaz is my birthstone, and I was expecting to see something brownish orange, but lo and behold, topaz can have many colors. Learn something new every day. :)

Just scored a bottle of this recently, and I've been on a turquoise kick. Such a convivial color. Edelstein Topaz, Waterman South Seas Blue, Iroshizuku Kon-Peki, Lamy Turquoise, Omas Turquoise, Pelikan Turquoise, Noodler's Ottoman Azure and Navajo Turquoise, and Visconti Turquoise. I think I'll do a comparison review of them, but Edelstein Topaz looks like an early favorite.

Regarding the halo effect, I definitely see that with Iroshizuku Kon-Peki and Asa-Gao. It's more visible with the lighter Kon-Peki. It's a sort of sheeny red, and I see it with my usual fine and extra fine nibs.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Bo Bo Olson

• beurling

• RudyR

I have fallen madly in love with this ink and I don't normally like turquoise or any blues lighter than Diamine Royal Blue. The colour, shading and sheen are all fabulous.

Ottoman Azure Blue

Ah, ha, don't have to order this across the ocean ink then. It had been on my list.

It's really a shame, to have an ink like Topaz and leave it in the cupboard, because it's expensive.

Thanks for bumping this thread up again.

I hate cupboards...out of sight...out of mind.

:headsmack: I'm supposed to be moving into purples.

Then I run into gee thats a neat ink ya got. :glare:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I think I would be interested in seeing the image. Lapis has small striations or gold like inclusions on it.

Renaissance painters are said to crush Lapis Lazuli to have truest of true Ultramarine color/paint.

In real world I have the Sailor Ultramarine that's, several notches above Waterman Florida Blue &

Sheaffer Skrip Blue in truthfulness of color Ultramarine & other inky qualities.

That apart, Edelstein Topaz is one of my favourite inks and one indeed has to admit that Germans have made

a huge mistake in naming it. Pelikan should rename their Topaz to Saffire & their Saffire to Ultramarine or

whatever.

Hi,

You're welcome!

Unfortunately, I did not have the great experience with WSSBl that most others have enjoyed. I may give that ink another go, if for no other reason to generate some comparison exemplars. (Its now called 'Inspired Blue' or something like that.)

Bye,

S1

During the interval after the above Post, I've posted an IR of Waterman Inspired Blue @ https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/242319-waterman-inspired-blue/page__view__findpost__p__2633039

:)

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Thanks for the review,Sandy! Pelikan Edelstein Topaz is a beautiful

shade,similar to Noodler's Ottoman Azure Blue,which seems to be

non-existent these days. For me,it will replace it--it's one of my fav-

orite shades of blue!

John

Hi John,

You're welcome!

It was love at first sight with Noodler's Ottoman Azure. * swoon * It not only jangles my bangles, it has an appealing performance profile as well. ;)

NOA might appear somewhat similar to PET from flaky swabs, but from same pen on the same paper, NOA is darker and somewhat less playful, which makes it more of a 'daily writer' ink.

Here's the swab sets:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Ottoman%20Azure/5f6822ec.jpg

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pelikan%20Edelstein%20Topaz/5b80b02c.jpg

For a more wide-ranging comparison, you may wish to peruse my IR of NOA, which was included in the OOTT series.

Bye,

S1

__ __

Ink Review - NOA : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/177677-noodlers-ottoman-azure/&do=findComment&comment=1783713

OOTT Summary : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/196998-one-of-the-ten-blue-inks/

Great Review! Your ink reviews are very original and unique which I really like. I kinda get sick of reading scales all the time and want to know the characteristics of the ink that make it special or not so special which you do a great job at. I just picked up Ajisai from the Long Island Pen Show and am waiting for my Ama-iro and Asa-gao but I think I'm definitely going to have to pick up a bottle of this. One can never have enough blue inks. Nothing has been able to get me off of my Kon-peki but I think this might give it a run for it's money.

Hi,

Thanks for the gracious compliments!

I'm glad to provide you with "the characteristics of the ink that make it special or not so special". While those things are very much up to each person, I am disinclined to use scales / metrics - those seem more useful for measuring quantities rather than describing qualities.

Bye,

S1

Thanks for another grand showcase review, Sandy! Topaz is my birthstone, and I was expecting to see something brownish orange, but lo and behold, topaz can have many colors. Learn something new every day. :)

Just scored a bottle of this recently, and I've been on a turquoise kick. Such a convivial color. Edelstein Topaz, Waterman South Seas Blue, Iroshizuku Kon-Peki, Lamy Turquoise, Omas Turquoise, Pelikan Turquoise, Noodler's Ottoman Azure and Navajo Turquoise, and Visconti Turquoise. I think I'll do a comparison review of them, but Edelstein Topaz looks like an early favorite.

Regarding the halo effect, I definitely see that with Iroshizuku Kon-Peki and Asa-Gao. It's more visible with the lighter Kon-Peki. It's a sort of sheeny red, and I see it with my usual fine and extra fine nibs.

Hi,

You're welcome!

I hope that you find PET to be a rewarding ink.

I've always been attracted to Turquoise inks. One of the very early Turquoise inks to arrive was Sheaffer Skrip Turquoise, which I thought was/is marvelous, so it took a while for me to move along to explore other Turquoise inks. And I'm glad I did!

I look forward to your Reviews, in particular the Visconti Turquoise which has yet to arrive at my ink shelves.

Bye,

S1

• 2 months later...

Hi Sandy1,

Your ink reviews are the best! :notworthy1:

Despite the price and after reading lots of turquoise inks reviews here in FPN I bought a bottle of Pelikan Edelstein Topaz and it matched perfectly my Waterman Carène Medium wet nib. The colour is astonishing and the water resistance make it far away better than the others turquoise inks.

Thanks a lot.

Edited by Shinfay

Sigh, NOA is back on the list...it's just that tad different, on this or that paper, that looks so good.

Lately every time I try to get to purple something happens; green, brown...another BB, and now back to blue.

Grumble, :angry: :gaah: :wallbash: It's hell living in the Golden Age of Inks. :D

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Hi Sandy1,

Your ink reviews are the best! :notworthy1:

Despite the price and after reading lots of turquoise inks reviews here in FPN I bought a bottle of Pelikan Edelstein Topaz and it matched perfectly my Waterman Carène Medium wet nib. The colour is astonishing and the water resistance make it far away better than the others turquoise inks.

Thanks a lot.

Hi,

Many thanks for your kind words!

I'm glad that PET matches your Carene so well - a very smooth well-mannered ink from the firm wet nib seems a wonderful combo.

Enjoy!

Bye,

S1

Sigh, NOA is back on the list...it's just that tad different, on this or that paper, that looks so good.

Lately every time I try to get to purple something happens; green, brown...another BB, and now back to blue.

Grumble, :angry: :gaah: :wallbash: It's hell living in the Golden Age of Inks. :D

Hi,

We are indeed spoiled by the luxury of having so many wonderful inks from which to choose. :)

Bye,

S1

• 3 months later...

I was lucky enough to be given a bottle of PET for Christmas and it's been my go-to ink ever since, displacing my trusty Waterman purple. I'm particularly enjoying the shading, which is evident even with my narrow nib proclivities.

http://www.n2turners.com/N2Turnersv2.0/Icons_files/PenPic.jpg

Conway Stewart Wellington IF

Pilot Capless EF

Pelikan M800 F & M600 EF

Montblanc Classique M

Sailor 1911 MF

Kaweco Allrounder EF

I was lucky enough to be given a bottle of PET for Christmas and it's been my go-to ink ever since, displacing my trusty Waterman purple. I'm particularly enjoying the shading, which is evident even with my narrow nib proclivities.

Hi,

Oooo - you must've been very good during 2013 to be gifted with a bottle Topaz. ;)

I'm glad that you've been so impressed as to set aside Waterman Tender Purple, especially as the inks are so very different - a leap rather than a side step, so to speak.

If you keep up your winning ways, who knows what might come your way next Christmas ...

Bye,

S1

• 2 years later...

I am a faithful reader of your prose, so please understand my disappointment with your German. "Das nicht" should be "die keine," or better yet: "Lauter Dummköpfe, die noch nie einen Füller in der Hand gehabt haben."

For other abuses in German, feel free to contact me! 🇩🇪

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

• 3 weeks later...

I am a faithful reader of your prose, so please understand my disappointment with your German. "Das nicht" should be "die keine," or better yet: "Lauter Dummköpfe, die noch nie einen Füller in der Hand gehabt haben."

For other abuses in German, feel free to contact me!

Hi,

I am dismayed that you are disappointed with my [ab]use of the German language. :(

Should the need arise to ever so gently express displeasure in the German language, you are likely to receive a PM asking for guidance. :)

Bye,

S1

• 2 months later...

As usual your reviews are the final word for me. I purchase a bottle yesterday and I love it.

Great grocery lists too by the way.

• 6 months later...

Did Topaz undergo reformulation in recent years? I have just bought a bottle and the ink feathers and bleeds through quite significantly even on Leuchtturm (well, not the best paper but usually works fine). Has anyone else experienced​ similar problems with this ink?

Edited by birchtine

I do not have experience from when the ink was initially released but my bottle, purchased about 6 months ago does well on almost all paper. Amazing on the good stuff, Tomoe River, Clairefontaine, Rhodia, Apica, etc. It continues just fine with rare feathering, (wider nibs, heavier flow pen) all the way "down" to Mead Cambridge pads but once I hit the generic white and yellow low cost legal pads at work, it will feather a lot.

Note that I use mostly medium and fine nibs, both Western and Japanese but there have been 1.1 stubs, music nibs and even a 1.9 Franklin Christoph music nib in the mix.

All that said, this is similar to most of the other inks that I use, Sailor, Pilot/Iroshizuku, Montblanc, Waterman, etc.

I HTH somewhat. :-)

Did Topaz undergo reformulation in recent years? I have just bought a bottle and the ink feathers and bleeds through quite significantly even on Leuchtturm (well, not the best paper but usually works fine). Has anyone else experienced​ similar problems with this ink?

Edited by EHV

Thank you EHV! I guess that the confusion and my disappointment was related to the extremely wet pen I used initially. In my other pens Topaz behaves better, however, still much worse than Royal Blue.