#21 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,205 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2010 - 23:14

Not an American, but an eminently average family-- the pen below I got from my wife, who got it from her father, who had it in his toy chest in the late 1940s or very early 1950s. Sturdy, not unattractive, with a steel point.

Posted Image

Ah, the Ravensmarch/Bitterman understatement again! "Not unattractive"??? This pen is spectacular!

Forgot: what is it?

Edited by welch, 25 November 2010 - 23:15.

Don't take any job that requires new clothes.

#22 bigJack82

bigJack82

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 15:28

[quote name='nxn96' timestamp='1289929038' post='1753964']
Another thought along this line: desk pens. Back in the era when more jobs involved a fixed desk at a fixed location, a desk pen in a holder on a heavy base was a popular item from the major pen manufacturers. Esterbrook seems to have been a big player in this market, including desk pens with a chain for public/commercial use and combination dip-pens with combination inkwells. Parker and Sheaffer were large players too, but similar to as Parker51 noted, a lot of these pens had a brass plate attached to commemorate a special occasion.

Again, it speaks to what writing instruments people carried and where/when people needed to use an ink pen.
[/quot

Another great desk set was produced by Carter Pen company

#23 bigJack82

bigJack82

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 15:36

Fountain pens were mostly for correspondence and long term documents.

The normal writing instrument was a pencil right on through the 60s and the advent of relatively functional ball points.

During the forties the Esterbrook was the school choice. Easy writing and long lasting.

#24 Sunflowers

Sunflowers

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 16:47

In the 70s, my family used Parker 45s. It is the pen with which I learned to write.

#25 Emu

Emu

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:08

As a child in the early to mid 1950s, I remember seeing what I now can identify as Esterbrook desk pens in "eight ball" holders on the desks of middle-grade U.S. military officers in Europe and in the States. Don't know whether the big cheeses .... colonels and generals ... had those or something classier. Also don't know whether they were government issue, but I suspect they may have been. The only fountain pen in our house (1950s-60s) was an old vacuumatic Parker 51, teal-colored, my dad kept in a drawer. Never saw him use it. Wish it hadn't gotten lost. His mother used a 51 for decades ... she may have given it to him.

Edited by Emu, 03 December 2012 - 10:44.

#26 LedZepGirl

LedZepGirl

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 20:23

I was going to say Esterbrooks but I was beat to it many times now. Posted Image
I'd rather spend my money on pens instead of shoes and handbags.

>>> My Blog <<<

#27 rhosygell

rhosygell

Twpsyn llwyr !

• Member - Gold

• 1,923 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2012 - 23:06

Probably Wearever has valid claim to being the pen of the "average" American.
Iechyd da pob Cymro

#28 Mags

Mags

Life is more vibrant with a fountain pen and a bold wet ink line

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2012 - 00:14

I believe there were Doctor and Nurse pen sets from Shaeffer also and the pens were white. I think one pen like holder with a clip stored a thermometer for checking the patients temperature though I am curious how it was cleaned between uses.
Bob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)
I use a RIM PlayBook and a fountain pen.

#29 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Donor Pen

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:36

I graduated from high school in 1976 as well. While I remember seeing desks at various schools with inkwell holes drilled in them, I don't ever recall using a fountain pen in school. (I finished grade 6 in the spring of 1970)

I do remember buying a very inexpensive Sheaffer with cartridges, it was bubble packed on cardboard-hang tag style. Might have even bought it at a 7-11. I also remember ink everywhere - whether as a kid who just didn't get how to do it or what. I was probably 8-10 years old.

Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

LetterExchange_sm.pngfpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20res

#30 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,675 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2012 - 13:47

My uncles who served in Nam used Snorkels and PFMs with black skrip ink. Two of my cousins used parker 17s and british duofold aerometrics for correspondance.

Edited by georges zaslavsky, 30 December 2012 - 13:47.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image

#31 Florida Blue

Florida Blue

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,877 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:02

I'm not sure about the pens themselves but many professions preferred certain types of nibs for their writing needs.

Many companies (including Esterbrook, Parker and Sheaffer) produced accountant, manifold, clerical/secretarial, bookkeeping and shorthand nibs that were designed for office workers, salesmen, accountants, book and records keepers and secretaries.
Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, 21 Super Red, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr.

#32 N2theBreach

N2theBreach

Still learning

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:59

I believe we were "average." We certainly weren't affluent, nor were we poor.

When I was a tyke in the latev'50s, my mother used what I now know as a Parker '51. My father used a different pen, with an exposed nib. I remember asking my mother about the difference and she would say her pen had a nib, too it was just hidden back up under the plastic. My pre-school mind never figured out how they got that big nib (like my father's) to fit up inside that little hole on the "51."

About the way they were used. I remember my mother using her pen frequently. Maybe not for grocery lists, and such, but she used it for letters, writing checks, anything that wasn't just a note to be tossed in the trash within the next day or so. I didn't see my father use his much because he wasn't home during the day. I also remember store clerks using fountain pens. Again, I think they used them for things like recording sales, and so on, not for quick notes.

Edited by N2theBreach, 18 February 2013 - 03:02.