The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Montblanc 742

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ballboy

ballboy

A pen-intent man shall pass

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2010 - 16:39

This pen has been in my collection since this summer. I thought I would get to know it before posting a short review. It's not my usual type of pen: Vintage and Montblanc. I simply haven't found the modern pens in this maker's collection as enticing as general consensus finds them. However, when this off the beaten path find came along, something in me had to find out about it...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

So far, I've not regretted this purchase, despite it being the most expensive and oldest pen I've ever bought. I expect its charisma and general writing appeal to last for quite some time still.
Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

Sponsored Content

#2 gary

gary

Kalamazoo direct to you

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 13:45

There is something very classy about this slim pen with the narrow stripes down the sides.
It's a bit of a shock to see the broad OBB line from a diminutive pen, but utterly appropriate with the brown ink.
Your choice is proof of the often heard advice here on FPN that a few nicer pens is better than many beaters.
Thanks for sharing,
gary

#3 Brian

Brian

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 18:16

Nice review. I am thinking that maybe the reason why there are so few comments here is because the 742/744s are not that easy to come by, especially the ones that are all metal. IMHO the few that are out there are mostly owned by rather rabid fans who want to keep this great pen their little secret.

#4 freewheelingvagabond

freewheelingvagabond

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2010 - 18:34

very nice pen and a very nice review!
https://soundcloud.com/freewheelingvagabond

Sponsored Content

|