The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

9314 -m And B- Writing Samples?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JEBennett

JEBennett

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 15:01

And I'm down to these two nibs, having finally figured out what I want (light, reliable, old school) in a fountain pen and what I don't (expensive, heavy, difficult to repair).

Does anyone have or have the ability to post a writing sample showing the 9314 Relief stub in Medium and Broad? I love the nib on my Lamy 27, which is that old German 60s stubbish B, but for all the love that the 9314B gets, I can't seem to find a writing sample.

Thank you in advance, and curse you for these wonderful forgotten pens!

James

Sponsored Content

#2 Rabbit

Rabbit

Esterbrook Fan

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2010 - 17:28

I'm at work right now, but if no one gets a sample posted today, I'll try to do a sample for you tonight or tomorrow. Bump the thread if I forget!

--Stephen

#3 dobro

dobro

Dobroholic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 17:41

I had my 9314-M re-ground to a straight stub rather than oblique/relief, which I didn't get along with that well. It's not inked right now unfortunately. I do have an unmodified 9284 inked that I kinda like, but would like better if it was straight. I also recently picked up a 3968 which is slightly stubbish - very nice...I assume a 9968 would be about the same. Here they are...

Posted Image

Edited by dobro, 11 November 2010 - 19:02.

Lee Hiers, AA4GA
"Have Dobro Will Travel"

#4 JEBennett

JEBennett

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 19:01

Thank you both. I found a few threads that talked about pictures of such, but the images are long since gone. :)

I'm packing up to head out to work at Ye Olde Pen Shoppe with my copper SJ and a 1551 that someone somewhen flattened into something sort of like an oblique? Its weird, but works for now.

Best,
James

#5 Rabbit

Rabbit

Esterbrook Fan

• Member - Gold

• 1,174 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:04

James,

I have the 9314-M and -B sample for you. I went ahead and included some other similar 9xxx nibs too just for completeness. The 9668 nib is NOT a stub, but I included it as a reference for comparison of a non-stub medium nib.

Because paper and ink can affect the appearance of any nib, I should mention that the sample on lined paper is Clairefontaine paper, and the sample on the grid paper is Rhodia paper. Both used Noodler's Lexington Gray ink -- not for any specific reason, but just because it was the ink that I had in the pen at the time. With the exception of the 9312, all nibs were either NOS just prior to the sample or were NOS within the past few months and have only had a few pages of writing done with them (i.e. they aren't worn down in any significant way.)

I haven't done this very often, so I know there is room for improvement! I think in the future I'll sit down and concentrate a little harder and maybe try to write the same size each time. I did this kinda quickly and I subconsciously write smaller with the finer nibs. Hope that doesn't throw off the comparison!

The images here have been resized to fit the screen better, but at the end I have links to the original files from the scanner that have not been resized, if that large format will be helpful to you at all. If you want something smaller than this, let me know too.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Full size images: link to first one link to second one

--Stephen

#6 Berelleza

Berelleza

Master of Zero

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2014 - 18:43

Now have one 9314 M that does not write  on Rhodia paper unless I hold it at an angle similar to the point; but it  writes perfectly well on a sketch paper which is rough every time I try it. I don't need to hold it in any angle of preference for it to write on sketch paper.

Now, does this nib needs to be   held in a special way to write?

I would think the answer could be yes....

Thanks for any enlightenment on the matter.

Here are my samples for you ( I had the same question some time ago).

Seeing the sample in same Rhodia paper  for the 9314-M with black ink, it seems my 9314-M nib has a problem?

Attached Images

• IMG_0326.JPG

Edited by Oldtimer, 04 July 2014 - 19:15.

#7 Daphne7

Daphne7

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2017 - 15:59

I realize this is a really old thread but I had this same question.  

Having just scored my first Esterbrook (J/2668), I had been contemplating a different nib for line variation because hey, its easy to change nibs!  The pen is great and the 2668 is a really nice nib although coming from the fines I have been using, its like using a wet, wide magic marker although I am enjoying it!  I have been using a Plumix (1.1 italic), which does have variation and a Pelikan ( Binder Fine .5 Stub Flex) and Pilot Metro F and M.  Initially, I considered the 9314F but understand fines don't give much variation because they are fine.

The writing samples Rabbit provided are terrific and much appreciated but it seems like you have to go all the way to the broad to get much difference in line width with the stubs.  I can see it in the horizontal and vertical lines on the broad but it seems like in writing, there isn't much difference and I expected the medium to be more obvious in the basic lines.  That isn't meant as a slam, I am still new to stubs/italics.  At this point I am trying to figure out if either: 

A) I have an unreasonable expectation regarding line width with stubs

B) Esterbrook is perhaps not the best pen to pursue line width

I considered just manning up and going after the 3312/9312 but its really expensive and doesn't seem like the variation is that different with it either.  Again, maybe I am delusional regarding expectations.  I can get some difference with my FRP Himalaya flex but I have to slow way down.

I typically write with a fine (Pilot or Pelikan which are a thinner fine than Esterbrook) and I'm concerned writing with a medium and certainly with a broad there will only be 2 words on a page ha ha!

At the Atlanta pen show I tried a broad italic from Susan Wirth that was pretty awesome (she is too) but had run out of money at that point so I know I can write with an italic....

Thanks.

#8 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,593 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2017 - 21:28

The 2312 and 9312 have decent line variation.  These are italics, like a medium cursive italic.  The most I paid for a 9312 was $37 NOS.  I suppose that is expensive for an Esterbrook nib.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#9 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2017 - 21:48

Look for an Osmiroid nib.  It is a LOT easier to find and cheaper than the similar Esterbrook nibs.

Most of the Osmiroid nibs were meant for calligraphy than general writing, but hey if it works...

You can get the nibs in various widths. 

San Francisco Pen Show - August 25-27, 2017 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#10 pajaro

pajaro

• Member - Gold

• 10,593 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:23

Look for an Osmiroid nib.  It is a LOT easier to find and cheaper than the similar Esterbrook nibs.

Most of the Osmiroid nibs were meant for calligraphy than general writing, but hey if it works...

You can get the nibs in various widths. 

The Osmiroid nibs are quite nice.  They are available often on ebay or other places.  They are less expensive.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#11 Daphne7

Daphne7

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2017 - 14:52

Thanks so much!  I'll check the Osmiroid nibs out!

#12 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 12,050 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2017 - 17:04

I keep looking for a 9312 nib.  I've never seen them on eBay.  I was beginning to think they didn't actually exist, and that they were rarer than 8440 nibs (superfine/cartography nibs).  Then last summer, when we were running our sideline business at a one-time event in Indiana, a woman came up to the counter with a couple of pens clipped to her neckline, and one was a copper J series pen.  I was going "Oh, you have an Esterbrook!" and she was very excited to find someone who actually knew what Esties *were*.  So she showed me the pen and it had a 9312 nib on it and I told I had never ever seen one for SALE!  Turned out she was a calligrapher from Portland Oregon (her other pen was some unidentified Pelikan with a nib reground by Richard Binder) and we geeked at each other about pens for a while, in between me dealing with other customers.  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#13 Daphne7

Daphne7

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2017 - 17:29

Any chance she let you try it or at least demoed it for you so you actually saw what it could do?  

I looked everywhere as well, I think it will show up right after the listing for a unicorn ha ha!

#14 pajaro

pajaro

• Member - Gold

• 10,593 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2017 - 23:38

I had to search relentlessly for the two 2312s and the one 9312 that I found on ebay.  The 9312 was a $37 buy it now that I snapped up.  I thought these were fairly easy to find, based on the ones I found.  The 2312s are about as good as the 9312.  These are the Esterbrooks I like best, medium cursive italics.  These are not as sharply italic as Sheaffer No Nonsense italics.  I think these were worth seeking out.  The 9314s are Ok, but they are left oblique stubs, with less line variation.. 

#15 crescentfiller

crescentfiller

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 16:20

This thread sent me to my Spare Nibs Box, where I discovered:

Two 2314M nibs, unused, in the box

Two 2314B nibs, unused, no boxes

One 9314M nib, gently used, no box

How do the xx14 nibs differ from the xx12 nibs?

Thanks!

#16 pajaro

pajaro

• Member - Gold

• 10,593 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2017 - 18:10

This thread sent me to my Spare Nibs Box, where I discovered:

Two 2314M nibs, unused, in the box

Two 2314B nibs, unused, no boxes

One 9314M nib, gently used, no box

How do the xx14 nibs differ from the xx12 nibs?

Thanks!

The XX14 nibs are left oblique stub nibs.  The nib is cut at an angle like the toes of your left foot angle from big toe to little toe.  The XX14 nibs are also stubs, with more rounded sides to the edge than the XX12 nibs, which are italic with a sharper edge than the XX14 nibs.  The XX12 nibs have more pronounced line variation than the XX14 nibs do.  The XX12 nibs also are not oblique.  The XX12 nibs I have are much like a cursive italic, and the corners of the edged nib are not really, really sharp as our beloved leader might express it.

#17 northlodge

northlodge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2017 - 22:01

I happened upon a NOS boxed 3312 last week.

I have several of these Gold Tone 3xxx nibs, including some 3314 examples, but this is the first time I have come across the italic.variant. 

Sponsored Content

|