The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

So I Bought A Twsbi...

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 trent

trent

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 00:20

Well, thanks to all the rapturous reviews of the TWSBI, I ordered one with a Medium nib. It arrived today. On the positive side, I am impressed with the girth and solid feel of this pen. But: it leaks at the threads. You can see ( because it is a demonstrator) ink caught in the section just running into the threads. I have very inky fingers and have wasted all this great Noodler's Manhattan Blue. Should a new pen leak like this? I think not. I've found Esterbrooks in the field, over 50 years old, that do not leak. Nevertheless, I tried the nib on Clairfontaine paper. Not the smoothest. Not bad, but nothing special. Actually, the nib is "loud" on the paper. So, did I get a dud? Or, what is the big deal about this pen? The least I expect from a new pen is that it not leak.

Sponsored Content

#2 Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2010 - 00:25

How far did you dip the pen when you filled it with ink? I've had that happen when I accidentally dipped the past the section in a deep bottle. Did you also make sure that that the section was tighten to the body before filling?
"No one can be a great thinker who does not recognize that as a thinker it is his first duty to follow his intellect to whatever conclusions it may lead. Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study, and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think." -J.S. Mill, On Liberty

#3 trent

trent

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 00:27

I dipped just a little past the nib. The section felt secure. You can see the ink inside the section, not just on the threads. Even after washing with a damp cloth, the threads continue to leak.

#4 Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2010 - 00:38

:hmm1: If you have the pen apart, inspect the section and threads for any cracks,and such. Also check the seal that's at the end of the section near the nib. I hope someone with more experience chimes in.
"No one can be a great thinker who does not recognize that as a thinker it is his first duty to follow his intellect to whatever conclusions it may lead. Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study, and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think." -J.S. Mill, On Liberty

#5 trent

trent

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 00:44

Thanks, Calhoun. I don't see any cracks. Actually, the pen looks extremely solid and well-made, that's what is so surprising. Any advice will be appreciated. Or should I send the pen back for a replacement and give the brand another chance?

#6 Zaarin

Zaarin

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:04

Or should I send the pen back for a replacement and give the brand another chance?

I have no experience with TWSBI, but as a general point, this is always what you should do if a new pen falls below reasonable expectations. My point applies perhaps more to the larger established companies, but it's only if people really follow up QC issues that they will get it into their heads to fix them.

#7 Basset

Basset

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:31

Send it back. I will continue to hold off on buying until the bugs get worked out.

Edited by Basset, 05 November 2010 - 02:31.

#8 Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:38

Before you send it back, try to get in contact with Speedy. There's a reason why TWSBI is known to have excellent service. Best of luck to you.

#9 millerb7

millerb7

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:17

Very unusual. It sounds like you have a dud. I'd get ahold of speedy or contact who you bought it from. They should send a replacement with no issues. I'd personally give it another go, but that's obviously your choice.

#10 Chrontius

Chrontius

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:13

I got mine for $35 shipped because it leaked like a sieve.

I spent a little quality time with the spanner, all the seals, and all the threads, and a tube of Lube Tube (silicone pool sealant/lubricant). There's still a little line of ink (or grease?) between the section and body, but once the stuff worked into the threads it's not leaked a drop. I'm still using the "leaky" piston, too (I'll be putting in the new 1.5 piston when I write it dry) - this stuff is really good.

Edit: I still get dripping from the feed into the cap, but that's unavoidable.

Edited by Chrontius, 05 November 2010 - 04:14.

#11 trent

trent

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:40

While I want to encourage a new pen maker---especially in this economy!---it seems to me that products should not be released until they are free of malfunctions. A new pen should not leak, not even if it is reasonably priced, nor should customers be obliged to do their own repair work. Of course a dud is possible with any product, but it appears that my pen is not the only one to have left the factory with the leaking defect.

#12 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,343 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:52

While I want to encourage a new pen maker---especially in this economy!---it seems to me that products should not be released until they are free of malfunctions. A new pen should not leak, not even if it is reasonably priced, nor should customers be obliged to do their own repair work. Of course a dud is possible with any product, but it appears that my pen is not the only one to have left the factory with the leaking defect.

but if we waited for all our products to be bug free, 100% bug free, we'd only be buying pencils and walking around. even then some erasers wouldn't work right, some leads would be too hard or soft, would be toothy and scratchy, and the soles of our shoes would fall off.

nothing is ever 100% bug free. there will always be a dud or the one that slipped through. the TWSBI is a great pen especially for the price and ESPECIALLY for the customer service.

I say contact speedy and wait for another pen. I'm ROUGH with mine. It's hit the floor a few times (oops) luckily capped, and it hasn't developed leaks past the 1.5 seal OR dripped into the cap (not much anyways).

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#13 Lorna Reed

Lorna Reed

Voluntary Verger

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:12

I've had mine for about 2 weeks and carry it around in my pocket all day (nib up) and have absolutely no leaks or problems. Hope yours gets sorted out satisfactorily.
Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.
Philippians 4.8

#14 trent

trent

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:21

As I said above, a dud is possible in any product line. However, leaking appears to be a recurring problem with the pen for various owners. Anyway, I'll contact Speedy. From all reports, he seems to offer great customer service. I really want this pen to work because it is the perfect size and has such a solid feel to it.

#15 Azrael

Azrael

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:22

I would echo what everyone has said, try and contact speedy as he has impeccable customer service. I would also say you may have been unlucky, I have had mine for a few months and I have had no leaking or problems of any kind. It is running even better than my Lamy.

#16 Lsarios

Lsarios

Arios

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:49

I had a few issues with the first one I ordered it was a medium point. I contacted Speedy and was told to return it. I was sent a replacement right away! I ask for a fine since most people said the fine point worked better with the pen. I am still not happy with the pen but I am going to give it a good cleaning, and smooth the nib after I empty it. The service has been incredible. I do not think there is one pen in the market that is 100% perfect. Just about every pen made now days could use some nib work! For the price, it is still a good value! I think you should give the pen another chance.

I try not to compare it with other pens that I have because that would just not be a fair comparison. I have compared it to the Lamy Al-Star because it is the same price. The Lamy is a smoother writer but to me it is just one of the ugliest pens out there and that clip is just hideous! I would not carry the Lamy Al-Star or use it in a professional setting! I would also not carry a leaky pen anywhere but neither one of the TWSBIs that I have had had a leaking problem.
"What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
"When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for...that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation."
"You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

#17 John Cullen

John Cullen

John Cullen

• Member - Gold

• 1,867 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:56

I very much like the TWSBI, but it sounds like perhaps you got one that does not seal correctly, so you should contact the seller to either return or see about a fix.

It happens. Anyone who has read threads here will realize that even $1,000. pens sometimes do not work correctly out of the box. Parker has made the large Duofolds for decades and I am sure that now and again someone gets a dud. It happens.

The TWSBI nibs I have are smooth but they do have some tooth and sound to them. These are not Delta or Omas nibs. Again, I like mine, but I would not describe them as greasy smooth. It does not sound like you will be happy with this pen in the end.

#18 Pippin60

Pippin60

Still tilting at windmills

• Member - Gold

• 2,334 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:57

Before you send it back, try to get in contact with Speedy. There's a reason why TWSBI is known to have excellent service. Best of luck to you.

OK, not bashing here but a couple of comments, sometimes I can't resist one of my many failings.

Great customer service is wonderful, but from a sigma point of view how much is it needed? How many returns, replacmensts or nib adjustments have to be done? Also no offense but its a 40$ piston filler. So its a gamble. I may try one someday but not yet.

I would also suggest some silicone grease around the threads, that should keep it from leaking but you may see some ink make its way into the threads but not out of the pen and onto your hands..

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.
- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

#19 speedy

speedy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2010 - 13:28

Can you take a picture of the leak for me to see? is the ink get inside the section between inner wall of the section and the outside wall of the feeder holder (the black color plastic)? there is a o-ring between feeder holder and section near the nib, do you see it there?
If you don't see crack on the section, it should not leak.
I suggest you thread off the section, push off the feeder holder from back of the section, make sure the o-ring is there, re-connect all the parts again and try filling with water (so not to waste your ink) and see if there still leaking.

you see, the construction of this pen is very simple to do DIY work, maybe it is just not thread tight enough between section and barrel. pls check again and let me know the result, pls email a copy to my mail speedy@twsbi.com
For latest update pls join our facebook facebook badge

If any product related issue, pls send email to twsbiinc@gmail.com

#20 Northwoods

Northwoods

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2010 - 14:25

Did someone mention service, and how seriously Speedy takes his product? Posted Image

Sponsored Content

|