The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Danitrio Tosca

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Hennypenny

Hennypenny

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 22:14

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: 9 of 10

This pen arrived in an ordinary pen box -- nothing overly large or ostentatious. Opening the box revealed a substantial cylinder of luscious acrylic. The material was marketed as "red/rust," but appears to be similiar to the "terracotta" material Bexley used in its 2001 sleeve-filler. Regardless of its name, it has lovely chunks of red, brown, gold, tan, black ... beautiful autumn colors! The material has depth to it and plays with the light. Gold trim complements the acrylic. Quite impressive!!

APPEARANCE AND DESIGN: 10 of 10

This pen trips my trigger on many levels: I love its minimalist, cylindrical shape, its wide (5/16") cap band that extends to the edge of the cap, its unusual clip, and its secure friction-fit posting. I also love its 18k Danitrio nib with engraved emblem (a rising sun?). All in all, an attractive, well-executed design.

WEIGHT AND DIMENSION: 10 of 10

This is a large pen at 5.5" capped, and 7.125" posted. The diameter is .625". I don't post my pens, and would find this one too long if I did. However, the cap posts securely if so desired. I resisted this pen for quite a while because I thought it would be too large, but the pen's size is pleasing and it's well-balanced. With recent trends towards supersizing fountain pens, this pen may soon be considered "average" size.

NIB AND PERFORMANCE: 5 of 10, corrected to 9.5 of 10

This 18k Danitrio nib was sold as a Medium and, out of the box, it wrote a medium width line. However, it was far too wet, so I adjusted the flow using the techniques I learned at Richard Binder's DC Pen Show nib smoothing seminar. After inspecting the nib under a loupe, I was pleasantly surprised to discover it's a Fine. I proceeded to adjust the flow and achieved a smooth, Fine, medium wet line that I'm quite pleased with. While I think Richard would pass me for the result I achieved, I'm afraid he'd flunk me for the fact that I managed to bend the tines downward ever so slightly. Luckily, the effect is one that pleases me, and given that the line width, wetness, smoothness and easy start-up are spot on, I'm quite pleased with my adjustment.

FILLING SYSTEM: 7 OF 10

This is a cartridge/converter, which I don't mind. Its converter is terrible, however, and caused ink to drip from the nib. I'll use a different converter, or convert this pen to an ED fill (in which case its ink capacity will be quite large). I've deducted 3 full points for the lousy converter, but really this is matter that's easily resolved. Given that it could be a frustrating problem for an inexperienced fountain pen user, however, I think the point deduction is justified.

COST AND VALUE: 10 of 10

I bought this from Avalon Pens for $140, plus $9 shipping. Given that Old Griz paid $90 for his steel nib Tosca two years ago, I consider this to be a good price for a Tosca with an 18k Danitrio nib. It would have been less of a value if I'd had to send the nib to a nibmeister for adjustment, of course. Danitrio no longer produces this pen, so availability is limited.

CONCLUSION: 51 of 60, corrected to 55.5 of 60

I love this pen and it's made it into my regular rotation. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that Danitrio is now focusing on more upscale fountain pen designs, so I'm delighted to have added this entry-level Danitrio to my collection!

Edited by Hennypenny, 31 October 2010 - 22:17.

The sky IS falling. C. Little

Sponsored Content

#2 Seville

Seville

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 22:31

This is indeed a great looking and performing pen. I have one in Green Ebonite as well but I was looking to sell them both because of the converter issues and my writing tastes have changed.

Nice review and a very nice price with that nib.

Philip
22174937295_4eab74ddc3.jpg

#3 jcp1st

jcp1st

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 22:37

Very attractive pen - reminds me a lot of a Bexley Gold Line Terra Cotta I used to own.

Craig
None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. - Mark Twain

#4 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:34

Very nice. I have a Tosca in the black/red/blue/purple material myself. Quick pic of the barrel:

Posted Image

Edited by Silvermink, 01 November 2010 - 01:34.

http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

OMAS Italia '90 - Aurora Blue // Montblanc 14 - Visconti Purple

#5 Namo

Namo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 22:48

Very nice review, thank you. Do you think you could post some writing samples? I've had two flex Danitrio nibs, and there were very different.

Thank you!

amonjak.com

cropped-amonjak-partie-4-de-4_page_4-modifiee1.jpg  

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

#6 Hennypenny

Hennypenny

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 23:59

Do you think you could post some writing samples? I've had two flex Danitrio nibs, and there were very different.

Thank you!

I'll try to do some tomorrow, so watch for them later in the day tomorrow.

And I like the color of your Tosca, Silvermink -- lovely! Thanks for posting a pic.

HP

#7 alvarez57

alvarez57

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,451 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:27

Very nice pen. I would also like to see some writing... but beware! this nib is NOT a full flex! (I ruined mine and it has taken a lot of patience and Kevin Cheng to make it decent).

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

#8 Hennypenny

Hennypenny

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 19:01

OK, you asked for it -- now you get to see my chicken scratches! I'm afraid my handwriting is a bad advertisement for this nice pen ... HP

#9 DanielB

DanielB

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 20:36

Congratulations on your pen. It looks great with the gold nib.
I have a flexy fine in a Danitrio ED. To me it feels very close to semi-flex. But you have to find the right flow adjustment if you don't want to starve the feed.

However, it was far too wet, so I adjusted the flow using the techniques I learned at Richard Binder's DC Pen Show nib smoothing seminar.

Can you share any of them? * Or are they copyrighted? *

Thanks
Quan el centre del món no ets ben bé tu (per més que en tinguis la il·lusió),
si et desvetllaven enmig de la nit, no vulguis preguntar-te per què vius:
distreu-te rosegant l'ungla d'un dit. [I beg your pardon, Salvador Espriu]

#10 Bearcat

Bearcat

Careful with that Fountain Pen....You could put your eye out!

• Member - Gold

• 1,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2010 - 20:42

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: 9 of 10

This pen arrived in an ordinary pen box -- nothing overly large or ostentatious. Opening the box revealed a substantial cylinder of luscious acrylic. The material was marketed as "red/rust," but appears to be similiar to the "terracotta" material Bexley used in its 2001 sleeve-filler. Regardless of its name, it has lovely chunks of red, brown, gold, tan, black ... beautiful autumn colors! The material has depth to it and plays with the light. Gold trim complements the acrylic. Quite impressive!!

APPEARANCE AND DESIGN: 10 of 10

This pen trips my trigger on many levels: I love its minimalist, cylindrical shape, its wide (5/16") cap band that extends to the edge of the cap, its unusual clip, and its secure friction-fit posting. I also love its 18k Danitrio nib with engraved emblem (a rising sun?). All in all, an attractive, well-executed design.

WEIGHT AND DIMENSION: 10 of 10

This is a large pen at 5.5" capped, and 7.125" posted. The diameter is .625". I don't post my pens, and would find this one too long if I did. However, the cap posts securely if so desired. I resisted this pen for quite a while because I thought it would be too large, but the pen's size is pleasing and it's well-balanced. With recent trends towards supersizing fountain pens, this pen may soon be considered "average" size.

NIB AND PERFORMANCE: 5 of 10, corrected to 9.5 of 10

This 18k Danitrio nib was sold as a Medium and, out of the box, it wrote a medium width line. However, it was far too wet, so I adjusted the flow using the techniques I learned at Richard Binder's DC Pen Show nib smoothing seminar. After inspecting the nib under a loupe, I was pleasantly surprised to discover it's a Fine. I proceeded to adjust the flow and achieved a smooth, Fine, medium wet line that I'm quite pleased with. While I think Richard would pass me for the result I achieved, I'm afraid he'd flunk me for the fact that I managed to bend the tines downward ever so slightly. Luckily, the effect is one that pleases me, and given that the line width, wetness, smoothness and easy start-up are spot on, I'm quite pleased with my adjustment.

FILLING SYSTEM: 7 OF 10

This is a cartridge/converter, which I don't mind. Its converter is terrible, however, and caused ink to drip from the nib. I'll use a different converter, or convert this pen to an ED fill (in which case its ink capacity will be quite large). I've deducted 3 full points for the lousy converter, but really this is matter that's easily resolved. Given that it could be a frustrating problem for an inexperienced fountain pen user, however, I think the point deduction is justified.

COST AND VALUE: 10 of 10

I bought this from Avalon Pens for $140, plus $9 shipping. Given that Old Griz paid $90 for his steel nib Tosca two years ago, I consider this to be a good price for a Tosca with an 18k Danitrio nib. It would have been less of a value if I'd had to send the nib to a nibmeister for adjustment, of course. Danitrio no longer produces this pen, so availability is limited.

CONCLUSION: 51 of 60, corrected to 55.5 of 60

I love this pen and it's made it into my regular rotation. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that Danitrio is now focusing on more upscale fountain pen designs, so I'm delighted to have added this entry-level Danitrio to my collection!

Great review! It looks like a wonderful *new* pen. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

--Doc
Have Camera....Will Travel....Wire SigSauerFan AT Hotmail DOT com

Inveterate trader. Send me a note for my list of pens, watches, knives and other fun things for sale or trade....

The Danitrio Fellowship

#11 Hennypenny

Hennypenny

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 21:47

Can you share any of them? * Or are they copyrighted? *

Thanks

I will leave it to others to describe the techniques involved so I don't get blamed for a rash of damaged nibs (it involves ever-so-gently bending the tines). As I noted, I actually managed to bend the tines on this Tosca -- I happen to like the result, but it brought home to me just how gentle you must be with soft metal.

I will make a few suggestions:

1. Have a good loupe available (Richard sells a very nice 10x Belomo loupe). Absolutely necessary so you can have the tines properly aligned after you make your adjustments.

2. Go to a pen show and ask for help. Or to a local pen club meeting. Better yet, go to a show and take Richard's seminar -- well worth the price!

3. Do your practicing on a cheap pen!! Intentionally manipulate some nibs that you wouldn't mind destroying - never start with good nibs (may they rest in peace).

4. Scour FPN for posts and read everything on Richard's site - there's a wealth of information.

That's all I'll share -- I'm too inexperienced at this to suggest anything other than to seek expert help! HP

#12 DanielB

DanielB

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 22:32

I thank you for your reply. That's fair enough.

Edited by DanielB, 02 November 2010 - 22:32.

Quan el centre del món no ets ben bé tu (per més que en tinguis la il·lusió),
si et desvetllaven enmig de la nit, no vulguis preguntar-te per què vius:
distreu-te rosegant l'ungla d'un dit. [I beg your pardon, Salvador Espriu]

#13 Namo

Namo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,411 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 22:38

Thank you! The flex seems interessting.

amonjak.com

cropped-amonjak-partie-4-de-4_page_4-modifiee1.jpg  

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

#14 aleshaabbot

aleshaabbot

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:15

According to my point of view, I think that Danitrios are known for their openhandedly sized pens and diacritic visual flair, and as you might expect the Tosca is a substantial pen. But this out-of-production model stands out even more from Danitrio’s usual offerings.
http://www.hotline.c...ional-pens.htm' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>printed pens

#15 Hennypenny

Hennypenny

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 00:41

I am still enjoying this pen, but found I have to use it as an ED fill (easy enough with a little silicone grease on the threads). Neither the supplied converter nor any others I had could supply ink consistently - the pen would dry up after short stints of writing. It has worked well as an ED, however - no running dry. HP

Sponsored Content

|