The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Namiki Blue!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 kiki

kiki

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:02

Hullo!

I've been lurking for some time now but have yet to see any writing samples of Namiki Blue. I've seen one irl but can't quite remember it now. Anybody care to weigh in on the merits of Namiki Blue ink? I love reading thoughts/opinions.

I have a pink Pilot Prera (M) inked up with Iroshizuku yama-budo and a Sailor Reglus (F) inked up with Iroshizuku tsuki-yo and I'm actually really thinking of converting my 05 Preppy to an eyedropper. I'm looking at Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue for this purpose because it's 3SGD over here. Cheapie!

I'm really curious about Namiki Blue though!

Edited by kiki, 31 October 2010 - 11:04.

Sponsored Content

#2 mstone

mstone

Pensive Penman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:40

It's an excellent neutral blue ink that's extremely water resistant and fade resistant.

#3 Basset

Basset

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:51

Namiki Blue was, for a period of years, the only blue ink I used. It's a true blue ink - no hints of purple. I found it as trouble free as Waterman and Skrip. I love the roundish bottle.

#4 cubic archon

cubic archon

Vintage

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 October 2010 - 14:29

I have some in a cartridge that I got with my VP - I concur with the above, a very smooth and well-behaved ink which sorted out my occasionally finicky M nib. Slightly lighter, I would say, than Florida Blue; fairly quick-drying and also water-resistant.

#5 Oranges and Apples

Oranges and Apples

Vantage

• Member - Gold

• 1,030 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 14:55

How about these written reviews:
http://www.fountainp...?showtopic=4200

http://www.fountainp...howtopic=120508

http://www.fountainp...howtopic=121983

#6 kiki

kiki

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 15:32

How about these written reviews:
http://www.fountainp...?showtopic=4200

http://www.fountainp...howtopic=120508

http://www.fountainp...howtopic=121983

Oh thank you so much! I didn't find those in my search and now I want Namiki Blue more than ever! It's really pretty and seems a good ink.

#7 Oranges and Apples

Oranges and Apples

Vantage

• Member - Gold

• 1,030 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 15:38

Oh thank you so much! I didn't find those in my search and now I want Namiki Blue more than ever! It's really pretty and seems a good ink.

Glad I could help you. If you would like to look up reviews for other inks here is another link:
http://www.fountainp...of-ink-reviews/

Enjoy your stay as a member. :)

#8 inksmears

inksmears

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 15:42

Namiki blue is my "go-to" blue (despite my avatar :). ) and for testing any vintage pen I buy. It's also resistant to hand oils on the notebooks I use at work an it's well behaved on cheap paper including Moleskine and copy paper. Sometimes I like a more saturated blue but if I were stuck with Namiki blue for some reason I could think of a lot worse fates.

Edited by inksmears, 31 October 2010 - 15:43.

#9 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,902 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 16:08

Hi,,

It's excellent stuff. I use it quite a bit when writing to
family & friends living in damp/rainy climates just in case the letter is exposed to watery risks.

It looks quite fine - not exceptional, rather neutral, but certainly without any dead-breaker flaws that I've come across.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bye,
S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#10 kiki

kiki

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 16:13

Hi,,

It's excellent stuff. I use it quite a bit when writing to
family & friends living in damp/rainy climates just in case the letter is exposed to watery risks.

It looks quite fine - not exceptional, rather neutral, but certainly without any dead-breaker flaws that I've come across.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bye,
S1

Oh very, very edifying! It really does look very smooth and dependable! I like that there's some shading, it's interesting. Did you break this review out just for my request? I can't be more pleased! I recognise your handwriting. In fact, you were the one who pushed me (figuratively) to getting the Pelikan Royal Blue! You're a gem. :)

Edited by kiki, 31 October 2010 - 16:14.

#11 kiki

kiki

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 16:17

Namiki Blue was, for a period of years, the only blue ink I used. It's a true blue ink - no hints of purple. I found it as trouble free as Waterman and Skrip. I love the roundish bottle.

I have to admit that the bottle design is yet another factor in its favour.

#12 kiki

kiki

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 16:18

It's an excellent neutral blue ink that's extremely water resistant and fade resistant.

You had me at 'excellent neutral blue ink'!

#13 mstone

mstone

Pensive Penman

• Member - Gold

• 1,411 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 October 2010 - 18:10

You had me at 'excellent neutral blue ink'!

To be honest, I don't use it often because it's kind of boring, but if you want a blue workhorse ink, it's a real gem. (My workhorse tends to be Noodler's black, and I prefer more interesting blues like Ottoman Azure if I'm in a blue mood, but color choice is extremely personal and there are no right answers. By workhorse I mean: fairly quick to dry, non-smearing, non-feathering, writes on anything, water resistant, fade resistant, appropriate for any occasion.) If I had to pick just one ink, and I wanted it to be blue, this would probably be the one.

#14 mikey

mikey

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 18:40

As I have mentioned in many of my posts, Namiki Blue is my go-to ink (and the only ink I currently own). It is a true blue and is water-resistant and fade-resistant. Also, the bottle is nice (I believe they now include a plastic inkwell).

Thanks,
Mike
inka binka
bottle of ink
the cork fell out
and you stink

#15 Gobblecup

Gobblecup

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 21:49

I am not the biggest fan of blue (But brown has really been growing on me!), but I might just try Namiki Blue to have a well behaved blue ink available... I currently use Noodler's La Coloure Royale, because as I said I am not the biggest blue fan (as most should know its a Blue/Purple ink), but it is not always well behaved on cheap papers, and its not bulletproof like some Noodler's blue inks.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I am glad I clicked and read this thread, Namiki blue may be in my next ink order! I should buy the Namiki blue just for my VP's sake at least!
Gobblecup ~

#16 bjornhansson

bjornhansson

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 October 2010 - 21:57

Are Namiki Blue and Pilot Blue identical inks?

#17 kiki

kiki

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:12

I would venture a tentative yes at this point of time after all this reading. Also, I saw something remarkably similar to this http://www.nibs.com/...ikiInkCarts.jpg in my bookstore and plan to get some to try out.

#18 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,902 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:45

Hmm :hmm1:

The only blue I have with the 'Pilot' brand are some cartridges that came with a Pilot pen. I haven't bothered to do a Side by Side, but its not unknown for there to be variations between a bottled ink and cartridges. I would not assume they are the same stuff.

So if Pilot cartridges (or Namiki bottles for that matter) are used, then one really should run their own quick tests - especially for the Smear/Dry time & wet tests. It only takes a few minutes, and boosts one's confidence about use with your own paper/s & pen/s.

Bye,
S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#19 mikey

mikey

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:47

Yes. It is sold in the US as Namiki and in Japan as Pilot. Different bottles, same ink.

Thanks,
Mike
inka binka
bottle of ink
the cork fell out
and you stink

#20 Gobblecup

Gobblecup

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:35

Is bottled Namiki Blue the same blue that comes in Pilot Varsity disposable "fountain pens"? If so I never found it to be water resistant, but then again they may not be the same.
Gobblecup ~

Sponsored Content

|